Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
IvoryValentine01

Black Moor/Ryukin or Oranda Fry

So, I have 6 adult fancy goldfish (1 black moor, 1 calico ryukin, 1 red & white ryukin, 1 red ryukin, 1 lemon oranda & 1 orange fantail). With the exception of the orange fantail, the other 5 were purchased direct from a reputable fishery and shipped to me last May. They were 2" then and unsexed. They have grown considerably since then. It would seem the black moor is male as he has the little dots on his gil plates...as does the red & white Ryukin. I spotted both fertilized and unfertilized eggs in their tank and I wasn't quite sure what to do with them. At first I did nothing...but then they started to hatch & I felt a little bad for doing nothing since I had another fully cycled aquarium to put them in so I took the plants that had unhatched eggs out of the tank (I couldn't catch any of the already hatched fry...they were too hard to keep track of in such a larg tank) and put them in the cycled 40 gallon with the filter shut down...the water was slightly warmer (by a couple degrees) and they started hatching like mad. I counted up to 30 fry and then gave up as it became to difficult to keep track of all of them. I am told that the likely pairing was the black moor and the calico ryukin because they are the same size (5"). I have no idea. I know nothing about fish breeding. The lemon oranda is also roughly the same size and seemingly female from what I can tell. Anyway, I've been trying to figure out what to do with the fry. As mentioned they are in a 40 gallon tank with the filter shut down. It is still aerated. Several many have hatched and they are now 1 or 2 days old...eggs are still hatching tho. I have read that they will start looking for food within 3 or 4 days...so tomorrow or the next. I have gotten them several foods to be prepared. When should I start the feeding? Tomorrow morning? Is it going to mess with the ones still hatching? Also, I have no idea what these fish might look like when they grow up. Will they be mixed, like some will look like moors and some more like ryukin or oranda? coloring? any help would be greatly appreciated. I have had fish nearly my entire life and yet this is all totally new to me.

Are they free swimming or are they still sitting on the bottom, on plants, or on the sides of the glass? As soon as they are actually moving around through the water, they need to be fed fairy quickly. Good foods are Repashy Spawn and Grow or Repashy Soilent Green, which are pre-mixed gel foods you just have to add boiling water too. These can be fed as as gel, or even sprinkled on the water's surface. You can also feed Hikari First Bites, and hatched baby brine shrimp.

As far as their looks, wouldn't they be considered Demekin? (Ryukin/Telescope) You can google pictures of what they look like.

Good luck and keep us updated! :)

right now, they're still hanging on the glass/plants...a couple of them have switched spots on the glass but that's about it. and I will definitely keep up the updates. I tried to get pictures of them but they're so small still my camera doesn't really see them well.

These are the assumed parents...Cali04_zpsff45b2e0.jpg

Pug08_zps0e1302db.jpg

Newly hatched brine shrimp is the best food you can feed your fry. Other fry foods are available but you will get a higher survival rate and fastest growth rate with Newly hatched brine shrimp.

What beautiful fish you have! :heart

Since they are not free swimming yet, there isn't a need to add any food to their tank. For the first few days they feed off their egg sacs, and once all the nutrition has been absorbed and they are stronger, they begin to swim around looking for food.

The amount you feed depends on how many fry you have, but most people recommend feeding 3x - 6x a day depending on the type of food and your schedule.

I have yet to raise any fry myself, so my knowledge is limited to what I have been able to read. I'm sure another member will chime in soon with some personal experience and advice. :)

thank u. they are quite lovely and totally spoiled...so I'm sure the fry will be as well.

and yeah, clearly I've never tried to raise fry before...was never a thing that happened. we had feeder guppies for our oscars many years back and they spawned all the time but we never did anything to take care of them specifically...they were feeders.

and as mentioned, I counted up to 30 fry and then gave up. I'm hoping at least a couple will survive and grow up. I mean, I can't imagine I'm gonna get everything perfect seeing as how this is the first time but a couple survivors at least would be nice.

welcome to the wonderfull world of goldfish spawning. Nice pictures of the two males. got any of the females?

OMGs, u are totally right. the cali is male. didn't even see the spots til I looked closer at the pic...can't really see them in reality altho, I've just studied him and yes, he does have them. guess that shoots the whole theory at him being the momma outta the water (pun completely intended)...hmmm, now I have no clue who the mama is.

ok, so this one is also most definitely male...

RedampWhiteRyukin02_zpse96ae6fa.jpg

so since they have no spots (even looked again), one of these is the momma...altho which, no clue...

LemonDrop01_zpse2105208.jpg

Ed01_zpsd7d88cb9.jpg

Red02_zps9d5fdc88.jpg

LemonDrop01_zps86f248d3.jpgi don't know why it deleted this pic from the last post. Edited by IvoryValentine01

most likely the one those boys chased is the egg layer. did you see any of that kind of play?

Edited by mikroll

the third of the three is a lemon oranda...IDK why it keeps saying I deleted the photo. I did not. anyway, actually, the only two that ever seem to be "playing"/chasing eachother are the black moor and the calico ryukin...they always seem to be together...but since it's been established now that they are both male, I'm back at having no idea whatsoever.

they all will paly and tickle each other but durning spawn hours it gets very serious with lots of pushing , shoving and chasing and that is the best clue. well documented in videos.

Congrats on the fry! :) As folks already mentioned freshly hatched baby brine shrimp make great food once the fry are free swimming. Baby brine shrimp can take 24-48 hrs to hatch. I tried Hikari First Bites but my fry absolutely would not touch it. They would put it in their mouths and spit it out so I ended up hatching baby brine shrimp like crazy and feeding them 4-5 times daily. The turkey baster is also useful for sucking up leftover food and poop. Fry turn into mini poop machines really fast. I kept my water level at about 5-6" for the first 3 weeks to make it easier for them to fill their air bladders but that is a personal preference which worked for me but I've heard others have had success with higher levels.

My first batch of fry is now 9 weeks old and started to change color about a week ago and some look very different from the parents. In terms of what they might look like from what I've learned goldfish genetics are quite complicated even if you know which fish are the parents. But, generally speaking if you cross two metallics 100% of the offspring will be metallic. If you cross a calico with a metallic you will get 50% calico and 50% metallic. Crossing two calicos results in 25% metallic, 25% pinky matte, and 50% calico. In terms of how the fish would look like when they grow up, I have the same problem as you - I didn't know the parents. I guessed that it was my male oranda and female ryukin at first but as many of the babies are starting to look like little ryukins with a nice diamond shape I'm pretty sure it was my male ryukin who spawned instead. More than one male can also fertilized a spawn too so it's possible you might have some different mixes. :) Hope that helps a bit and perhaps someone with more experience can chime in.

I had been checking on the fry once every hour or two and when I checked them last night before I went to bed there were a couple swimming starting to zip around the tank (they're fast). I gave them food. spirulina & wheat germ since no brine have hatched yet. They sucked it right up. So now this morning, there are about 10 of them zipping around and eating. Hungry lil buggers they are. But they seem to be doing all right. and there are still many more hanging on the glass. perhaps they will start moving about sometime today as the majority of them are now 3 days old.

I counted 35 this morning...9 in this pic...oooh, their first picture...not that it's great or anything...camera still having trouble picking them up...GoldfishFry02-Marked_zps88de168e.jpg

Very nice! Congratulations on your new babies!!!!

They are beautiful little things. I can't wait to see how they grow!

Aww! Cute. :) Can't wait to see how they turn out when they get bigger!

Babies :D congrats they are adorable

Have you been feeding newly hatched brine shrimp? It could be just the picture but he looks thin.

yes, altho the first day they ate there were no shrimp hatched yet so they were fed spirulina algae & wheat germ (about 5 feedings worth as I was feeding them every 4 hours while I was awake. they have been eating brine since tho. and I have continued to supplement the spirulina as well. there are some that are quite plumped up. the one in the picture I think was one of the smaller ones that was continually hanging around at the bottom of the tank.

the fry are 8 days old now...most are getting pretty plumped up...I count about 22 (I say about because they move so dang fast it's hard to keep track of some I already counted...but if I count them quick, 22 is the most consistent # right now).

Fry-8Days02_zps3a7e78c0.jpg

Fry-8Days01_zps69d4ff32.jpg

mystery fry...11 days old now...& they seem to be all about exploring their tank...they're all over the place in there..& they're gettin' faster...such good lil swimmers they're becoming...altho, it does make it increasingly difficult to keep track of all of them...