Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
tithra

Mating Snails?

42 posts in this topic

i used a veggie clip, suctioned it to the bottom of the tank when i had substrate. covered the clip with the substrate, the only thing that showed was the cuttlebone.

That's a great idea! Oh and what do ya know, I've got an extra clip right here :D

:)

I broke the cuttlebon into a bunch of small pieces and scattered it all over the tank so there was some no matter where they were. Mine always had very nice shiney shells :) (I also do have nice hard water though so plus I use Koi Clay in my tanks)

I keep cuttlebone in the tank at all times along with using liquid calcium drops daily. My water is very soft, I'm not sure what more I can do. And the snail on top did not have his mouth on the other snails shell.

My cuttlebone appeared to decay and other than that, it looked exactly the same as when it went in the tank. :(

I keep cuttlebone in the tank at all times along with using liquid calcium drops daily. My water is very soft, I'm not sure what more I can do. And the snail on top did not have his mouth on the other snails shell.

hey, could you link me to the liquid calcium drops? i can't find them here and would like to know what the product looks like for online ordering :)

Tithra I think it might just take quite a time for it to visibly change, nothing with snails happens very quickly in my experience, just keep up the good work.

Edited by Lucerne

hey, could you link me to the liquid calcium drops? i can't find them here and would like to know what the product looks like for online ordering

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4749

This is what they recommended on applesnail.net

Tithra I think it might just take quite a time for it to visibly change, nothing with snails happens very quickly in my experience, just keep up the good work.

I have had these snails for quite awhile now, at least 9 months if not around a year... They have grown a ton since I got them. I have always kept cuttlebone in the tank (I replace it with a new one every 2-3 months) and have been using the calcium drops since I got them. I'll admit I am not always consistent about remembering the calcium, I aim for daily but it's probably realistically 4-5 times a week on average that I remember to put it in there. Their shells were certainly in better shape when I got them, but my gh/kh are around 30 or less which isn't great. There are no holes in their shells, just some pitting on the older portions

That water is pretty soft :o

I believe the oldest portions of shell are usually unused anyway so the pitting there should not cause them any real detriment, aslong as the main portion of shell is intact (I could be wrong on that).

I havent had it in an apple snail, but I had a Sulewesi snail where a reasonable portion the tip of the shell was broken off entirely when I received it, and it never suffered any problems from that.

If you've had them this long I think what youre doing should keep them healthy enough. I dont think theydve survived and grown to this size if it were fatally problematic for them.

Edited by Lucerne

Have you tried painting them with clear nail polish?? I remember Fang had to do that to her snail because it prevents the soft water from leeching the calcium from their shells

Have you tried painting them with clear nail polish?? I remember Fang had to do that to her snail because it prevents the soft water from leeching the calcium from their shells

I have thought about doing this, I remember reading Fang's post, I have just been really nervous to do it :idont I know it's fine, it just weirds me out a little to be putting something that smells so awful on the snails.

i used a veggie clip, suctioned it to the bottom of the tank when i had substrate. covered the clip with the substrate, the only thing that showed was the cuttlebone.

What did I miss? Why did you need to use a veggie clip for the cuttle bone? :blink:

That thing will sink like a rock after a few days of floating in the tank :)

I have thought about doing this, I remember reading Fang's post, I have just been really nervous to do it :idont I know it's fine, it just weirds me out a little to be putting something that smells so awful on the snails.

The important part is to have only a tiny bit of nail polish on the brush. Never ever get the polish in contact with the snail's body. That might sound difficult but more than likely the snail will have itself barricaded up inside the shell, with the door closed, and will not be affected by the fumes either :)

You can see the growth line in their shells from when she brought them home very clearly in the pics. It looks like most of the pitting is behind that. The shells from when she has had them are solid, but not really smooth. There is a little bit of a sheen to them, but they do look wavy. It looks, to me, like there were times when they were growing that they had more available calcium in the water/tank (thick growth line), followed by a time with a little less calcium (thin growth line) which is giving them the banded shell effect. Since this could be as little as 3 days worth of growth with each band, for healthy snails... it could be as simple as dosing with the calcium drops being a little off on the schedule. At least, that I what I am seeing. I have had snails get moved from just one of my tanks to another, here, that ended up with a growth line, just from the miniscule parameter differences between tank to tank, with the same, very hard and mineral rich, source water (tops out the charts on both kH & gH in like 5 seconds). They otherwise have completely smooth, nice, shiny shells. I think that is one of the things that can just happen with these particularly fast growing creatures. To me, they just look like shells that have seen a bunch of mineral content swings, after the large growth ring where she brought them home. SO not trying to argue with anyone with this comment, at all. :hug

Another alternative to cuttlebone, if you're having trouble with it, is to get plain, unflavored caltrate (or other plain calcium supplement- generic is fine) tablets, and drop 1 or 2 (depending on tank size) into the tank in places by where you put their food. It sinks, and the snails will find it, without issue. Try to find one without vitamin D added, if you can... but, I have used it with vitamin D before, to no ill effect. ;)

EDIT: Helen is absolutley, 100% correct that they will eat each other's shells, if they have to, though. It is very important to make sure they have the minerals they need in the tank. Which it sounds like Tithra is doing a fine job of. :) They will also clean algae and aufuchs off of each other's shells, too. They just seem to like to crawl all over each other a lot... even when not having a sexy little rendezvous. :lol

Edited by JamieMonster

My snails have been in this position for about 30 min now:

matingsnails_zpsd0474665.jpg

I'm waiting for them to finish whatever it is they're doing so that I can clean the betta tank!

Love is in the air these days! :ehh

You mean, in the 'water'? :D

Uuumm, Hello...this is a "G" rated Forum.....Strict Rules against ######!!! :peeka:rofl

Geez....you showed your little nudity pics but I couldn't post the word P O R N???

lolololol! :rofl