Sign in to follow this  
tithra

Food Weights By Brand

39 posts in this topic

That make sense, compared to Tithra's numbers. The Omega One pellets are small and light.

This all is super interesting. Thanks!!!

I don't think I've ever been overfeeding, and apparently, I could feed more. And I always thought I fed on the heavy side, but not based on these figures. Also, I've always wondered why some people's fish eat all the plants and some don't. I have wondered if there's a connection between how much they are fed and if they eat plants. Maybe people who can't keep plants should check these figures and see if they are feeding enough. I'm just wondering out loud. :)

Edited by ShawneeRiver

Excellent post, Tithra. If you ever get Omega One, can you measure that too? My fish have done well on it.

Also, based in many posts I've read on this site, many people under feed. Clearly, every amount here is bigger than a fish's eyeball and probably more than they can eat in a minute.

I have Omega One if Tithra doesn't and could measure it.

That would be awesome if you could measure out .1 grams of the omega!

These were just the foods I happened to have, I only feed the progold and repashy now, but kept all the old bags so I could measure food for people if the need ever arose :P

I only have the small Omega pellets and 30 of them was .1 gram.

Thank You!!

Just to clarify, is it these ones?

omegaone_-_smgoldfishpellets.jpg

Thank You!!

Just to clarify, is it these ones?

omegaone_-_smgoldfishpellets.jpg

Yes, exactly this one. I'm not really feeding it right now as I'm trying a little of the Saki Hikari right now but I am hanging onto it for an alternative.

I don't think I've ever been overfeeding, and apparently, I could feed more. And I always thought I fed on the heavy side, but not based on these figures. Also, I've always wondered why some people's fish eat all the plants and some don't. I have wondered if there's a connection between how much they are fed and if they eat plants. Maybe people who can't keep plants should check these figures and see if they are feeding enough. I'm just wondering out loud. :)

Its funny you mention that. I was on the phone tonight with my parents long distance and watching the fish and Bing kept going after the plant roots which I never see him do. When I got off the phone I gave them some more repashy. I don't know if he was doing it because I was sitting there and I signify FOOD or if because he was hungry. Either way, they all got an extra snack tonight.

good work hun! excellent guide to feeding :)

So with this in mind, and my fish weighing a total of 371 g together they should get (combined) 3.71g of food, per the mathematical way.

With the 30 pellets for NLS per 0.1g they should receive 1, 110 pellets.....that sounds like a lot, lol.

But nothing i dont think they couldn't handle...lol.

Awesome!!

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Tithra, i was wondering what size NLS pellet you used for the weighing....i use the 3mm pellets...im betting that yours are the smaller version.

My scale isnt sensitive enough to weigh so small. Even when im trying to weigh my pellets out, and im adding them one by one, it didnt read anything unless i add them all at once.

Plus it only reads to 1g......

Im really trying to figure out the proper amount to feed my goldies, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I do 2 percent of the combined fish weight split up in to 4 meals. Also, I used a converter

http://www.convertunits.com/from/grams/to/teaspoons

to get grams in to teaspoons. Anyhow, the total food for my little school should be 1/2 teaspoon a day. Split in to 4 meals is 1/8 teaspoon per meal. I guess this is good as everyone seems happy healthy and always hungry.

I do 2 percent of the combined fish weight split up in to 4 meals. Also, I used a converter

http://www.convertunits.com/from/grams/to/teaspoons

to get grams in to teaspoons. Anyhow, the total food for my little school should be 1/2 teaspoon a day. Split in to 4 meals is 1/8 teaspoon per meal. I guess this is good as everyone seems happy healthy and always hungry.

Awesome! That seems so practical. I love little convenience time saving tips. As I have only been at this for less than a year, I thought I was an absolute genius when I discovered using a child's medicine syringe to measure out Prime. LOL! I'm sure that wasn't very genius...just made life easier.

I just got a couple of scales that are about 100x more sensitive than the ones Tithra had, so I thought I'd update it with everything I have in my cupboard.

----------------------------------------|--------------|------|-Average--|-------|
| Food                                  | # of Pellets | Mass |Per-Pellet| Volume|
----------------------------------------|--------------|------|----------|-------|
GoldFish Connection Pro Gold            |      30      | 571mg| 19.03 mg |1/4 tsp|
GoldFish Connection Spirulina Flakes    |      20      |1236mg| 61.80 mg |  N/A  |
GoldFish Connection Salad Supreme       |      10      |2947mg| 294.7 mg |  N/A  |
Saki-Hikari Purple                      |     139      | 712mg|  5.12 mg |1/4 tsp|
Hikari Lionhead                         |     104      | 799mg|  7.68 mg |1/4 tsp|
New Life Spectrum Goldfish (3mm)        |      27      | 651mg| 24.11 mg |1/4 tsp|
Omega one (Medium)                      |      28      | 850mg| 30.36 mg |1/4 tsp|
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Volume is for a "level" teaspoon, but your mileage may vary; this product is sold by weight, not volume, etc...

Though I won't blame you if you you don't want to count 139 pellets of Saki-Hikari   :thumbup2:

I use omega one small pellets (30 pellets = 0.1g) So I just weighed my two goldfish. 3g and 5g. Does that mean I feed them 24 pellets? 30*0.08/0.01=24 pellets

The suggestions given here on the amount to feed come from two sources:  Aquaculture, with the purpose of feeding of getting the fish to market size as quickly as possible by heavy feeding, and grooming for show, to get the fish rapidly to big, fat, spectacular specimens, which mature fast and die young.   In contrast, research which a wide variety of animals shows that animals fed the smallest amount of food that provides all needed nutrients live the longest.

Please read this article on feeding.

I used to feed my fish Gel food, Pellets and another stuff.

Now After listened to Sharon about this, I have moss balls in my tank for them to nibble on. Then I feed them two small meals a day, Either  blood worms or flakes with freeze dried shrimp.