Sign in to follow this  
tithra

Food Weights By Brand

39 posts in this topic

I know some of you may have scales that can weigh fish but not effectively weigh small amounts of food, so I went ahead and weighed all the different foods I have for you! :D

I weighed them out in the smallest amount my scale will recognize which is .1 grams, so you'll have to do some math on your own to figure out how much to feed, but I hope this helps some people out. For the repashy I took picture of 1 gram and .1 grams just to give you a frame of reference. Obviously, how thick you make it and how big you cut it will change how heavy a piece is - I couldn't think of a good way to do this one, but at least you can get a frame of reference and estimate from there.

Young, growing goldfish should be getting anywhere between .5 -1% of their body weight in pellets per day. If you are feeding gel foods which contain more water weight you can go with a higher percentage such as 2-3% of body weight.

Weights of Different Foods:

Saki Hikari purple bag:

~25 pellets = .1 gram

New Life Spectrum:

~30 pellets = .1 gram

ProGold:

6 pellets = .1 gram

Hikari Lionhead:

12 pellets = .1 gram

Omega One Goldfish Pellets - Small:

30 pellets = .1 gram.

Repashy:

1 gram:

photo-37.jpg

photo-38.jpg

Repashy .1 grams:

photo-39.jpg

photo-41.jpg

Great info, tithra!! :)

Do I even need to suggest someone pins this?

Thanks for figuring that out :)

Thanks tithra I was wondering how much nls to feed my goldies

Thanks! I love the visual. :)

I have to say though I think those numbers are SO high, especially for the gel food. Maybe its just my fish but I think they would be sick on that much food. I am honestly not trying to be negative in any way here but that is alot of food. For example, and maybe its just my funny fish but if I think of my two fish (not even counting the new one), their total weight is about 100g. I tried feeding 1g a day in gel food and it was just too much food for their digestive systems, it overwhelmed their systems and they would be constipated. I am wondering where the .5-1% rule came from? If I think about Saki Hikari alone a mere .5g would be 125 pellets for two fish. That is way too much food imho. Am I mis-understanding?

I know what is being demonstrated here is the size and weight of the individual foods which is great, its the recommended amounts that baffles me I guess. :idont

This amount comes directly from the books, and it's based on koi getting anywhere between 1-10% of their daily weight in foods. It also comes from breeders who routinely go as high as 2% for their fry. It also comes from experience of many of us here, who feed our fish this amount when we are trying to get growth.

125 pellets for 2 fish, divided into 3 meals is not that much. The Saki pellets are tiny.

Remember that gel food, especially Repashy, is 75% water. So, it's not too high at all to use 1%. I might agree that 1% in pellets can be too much, but when translated to gel, you are really only feeding 0.25% equivalent of pellets when you are doing Repashy gel.

I seriously do not understand why your fish would have problems with 1g of gel food between them. It's quite odd.

In the end, we have said time and over that the 1% is a good launch point, but you must work out what is best for your system. If you are getting too much growth, or the fish somehow can't tolerate it, then decrease the amount of food. If your fish isn't growing and can't tolerate that amount of food, then something is off.

If you want more growth and your fish are fine, up the dose.

Remember, overfeeding and fast growth = decreased lifespan. So, it's really up to you.

Thanks! I love the visual. :)

I have to say though I think those numbers are SO high, especially for the gel food. Maybe its just my fish but I think they would be sick on that much food. I am honestly not trying to be negative in any way here but that is alot of food. For example, and maybe its just my funny fish but if I think of my two fish (not even counting the new one), their total weight is about 100g. I tried feeding 1g a day in gel food and it was just too much food for their digestive systems, it overwhelmed their systems and they would be constipated. I am wondering where the .5-1% rule came from? If I think about Saki Hikari alone a mere .5g would be 125 pellets for two fish. That is way too much food imho. Am I mis-understanding?

I know what is being demonstrated here is the size and weight of the individual foods which is great, its the recommended amounts that baffles me I guess. :idont

The idea is certainly to break it up into several small meals a day. That one 1 gram block of repashy is not that large especially splitting it up between 3-4 meals. The Saki Hikari pellets are tiny which is why you need so many. I have been feeding 1% of body weight for at least a year now and have had no issues with it, but I also break their food up into 5-6 smaller meals a day.

You should certainly go with what feels comfortable to you and what you observe with your fish. The feeding guidelines come from different sources but one source that has been cited for this in the past is the University of Florida site which has great info on fish nutrition etc. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa096

Some hobbyists looking to groom show fish feed upwards of 3% of body weight in food to get fast growth (which we know is not necessarily ideal in the long run)

EDIT: Sniped by Alex :P

Here's the quote from the Florida site so you don't have to read all the way through ;)

"Fish should be fed based on a percentage of body weight. For maintenance, 0.5-1.0% body weight per day is adequate. Fish should probably be fed at least 5 days per week. The most common mistake made by pet owners is over-feeding their fish, often with resulting degradation of water quality. Occasionally however, owners dramatically underfeed their fish. This is alluded to above. One feeding per day is plenty for most pet animals. Rearing of young stock does require small meals fed more frequently. This is often accomplished using automatic feeders on commercial farms."

Please note that this does not refer to goldfish specifically, but fish in general. And I do not agree with the 'one feeding per day is adequate" for goldfish given what we know about their digestive system.

Jess, I forgot all about that article! Thank you!

Note that in the article, the recommended amount is 0.5% to 1%, or maintenance. This means that there should not be much growth at this rate, but rather for just maintaining status quo.

Edit: Now you snipe me, Jess! :rofl

Perhaps this is a wrong analogy, so someone please correct me if I am wrong. I am seeing the situation here as being somewhat similar to infants, who have a ridiculously tiny stomach. They need to grow, and well. So, they need to feed every couple of hours. Certainly, if you lump that amount in one sitting, there is no way they would be able to take it.

This is great! Actually has just helped me with my medicated feeding since I have to estimate 1 gram of the repashy :)

I weighed out their food. They get about .6g or .7 of gel food a day plus another .1g of saki hikari plus seaweed etc. I don't know if my fish are "odd" like you say, I only know when they feel well and when they don't by their behavior. I am not saying fish should not get up to the 1%. I am saying that less sometimes is more for fish who have troublesome digestive issues. They grow like weeds on this amount.

I am hesitant to throw out other ideas here sometimes and not trying to rock the boat just wanted to point out that sometimes more is not better in regards to food and I think people tend to overfeed rather then underfeed their fish.

I think over feeding is common with smaller fish and under feeding is common with larger fish because we tend to get stuck feeding a certain amount, not adjusting as they grow. I know I was grossly under feeding before I weighed my fish.

I'd like to see your data on growing like weeds at this amount, Cindi :)

As for rocking the boat, that you are not doing. I will reiterate one more time. The 1% number is not something we randomly put together. It's actually based on recommendations by fish experts. However, because we are well aware that every system is different, we also take care to tell you that YOU MUST FIND OUT WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU AND WHAT MAKES YOU AND YOUR FISH HAPPY. For me, I can go well over the 1% daily, and have no issues whatsoever, but I also choose not to, because I do not want an obscene amount of growth. Your example is a good one that in certain fish, you don't need that much food. It again highlights the fact that in order to care best for your fish, you must adapt these general recommendations to fit you.

The other thing that Jess said several times is that this amount is not to be fed all at once. That amount is for an entire day, and should really be split up between 3-6 meals or more.

Another example is water changes. We STILL only recommend 1 50% WC weekly. That does not work for me. I actually do 80-90%, and sometimes 100%, every 4-5 days. But the 1 50% WC weekly is a good starting point for you to work things out.

I hope that makes sense. :)

Excellent post, Tithra. If you ever get Omega One, can you measure that too? My fish have done well on it.

Also, based in many posts I've read on this site, many people under feed. Clearly, every amount here is bigger than a fish's eyeball and probably more than they can eat in a minute.

Excellent post, Tithra. If you ever get Omega One, can you measure that too? My fish have done well on it.

Also, based in many posts I've read on this site, many people under feed. Clearly, every amount here is bigger than a fish's eyeball and probably more than they can eat in a minute.

I have Omega One if Tithra doesn't and could measure it.

I'd like to see your data on growing like weeds at this amount, Cindi :)

As for rocking the boat, that you are not doing. I will reiterate one more time. The 1% number is not something we randomly put together. It's actually based on recommendations by fish experts. However, because we are well aware that every system is different, we also take care to tell you that YOU MUST FIND OUT WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU AND WHAT MAKES YOU AND YOUR FISH HAPPY. For me, I can go well over the 1% daily, and have no issues whatsoever, but I also choose not to, because I do not want an obscene amount of growth. Your example is a good one that in certain fish, you don't need that much food. It again highlights the fact that in order to care best for your fish, you must adapt these general recommendations to fit you.

The other thing that Jess said several times is that this amount is not to be fed all at once. That amount is for an entire day, and should really be split up between 3-6 meals or more.

Another example is water changes. We STILL only recommend 1 50% WC weekly. That does not work for me. I actually do 80-90%, and sometimes 100%, every 4-5 days. But the 1 50% WC weekly is a good starting point for you to work things out.

I hope that makes sense. :)

Yes, makes sense and your point on water changes is a good one as we all have to adapt to what works best for our particular circumstances. Weeds lol, well Bing has doubled in size or more since we got him about 9mo ago. He was probably 2.5 in then and about 7in now. For a long time I only fed him pro-gold until he got older and started having issues. I was feeding him about 3 or 4 pellets 3x a day all summer long. I just recently looked at a picture of Bilbo from summer and thought wow, she has really grown. Arwen is just looking fatter as I only just got her but she was quite thin when I brought her home and now her stomach is rounded.

this is very useful. Thank you!

I've noticed that when I weigh my pro gold pellets, they don't always weigh quite the same. Because of that, I measure it out every time--the difference is sometimes quite a bit. Did you notice that too?

This is super helpful info, I really used to under feed my fish. My issue is the veiltale I'm getting is all tale. Do I just go with total weight or do I subtract for the tale. How in the heck do I figure out what her tail weighs? :o

this is very useful. Thank you!

I've noticed that when I weigh my pro gold pellets, they don't always weigh quite the same. Because of that, I measure it out every time--the difference is sometimes quite a bit. Did you notice that too?

Yes I notice this with all pellets, which is why these amounts should still be considered estimates. Pellet size varies within a bag greatly (especially with progold pellets), and I think even sensitive scales aren't that sensitive and can be a little screwy with such light weights.

This is super helpful info, I really used to under feed my fish. My issue is the veiltale I'm getting is all tale. Do I just go with total weight or do I subtract for the tale. How in the heck do I figure out what her tail weighs?

Haha I have never thought about the tail, it's an interesting question. The general recommendation is to go by total weight, which would include tail :idont

:rockon

This is super helpful info, I really used to under feed my fish. My issue is the veiltale I'm getting is all tale. Do I just go with total weight or do I subtract for the tale. How in the heck do I figure out what her tail weighs?

Haha I have never thought about the tail, it's an interesting question. The general recommendation is to go by total weight, which would include tail :idont

Makes sense. As always Tithra, you go above and beyond :clapping:

That would be awesome if you could measure out .1 grams of the omega!

These were just the foods I happened to have, I only feed the progold and repashy now, but kept all the old bags so I could measure food for people if the need ever arose :P

Just make sure that you are using a scale that is accurate to 0.1grams, Cindi. Scales that are accurate to 1 gram are not precise enough for this purpose. :)

That would be awesome if you could measure out .1 grams of the omega!

These were just the foods I happened to have, I only feed the progold and repashy now, but kept all the old bags so I could measure food for people if the need ever arose :P

I only have the small Omega pellets and 30 of them was .1 gram.

Edited by cmclien