Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tithra

I've Got EGGS! Help! :p

Guess what I found this morning!!! EGGS!!!!!

It looks like most got eaten, the only ones I found were in the dense bush of rotala and back near the filter intake.

I have removed all the eggs I could from a tank and put them in a tupperware.

I know to remove the fuzzy ones and that ones with black dots have eyes, but that's it.

SO:

- Can I keep them in the tupperware?

- Do they need a heater?

- How long before you can see if they have black dots in them/when will I know if they're fertilized?

I've been worried about Edie lately because her belly's been soft and she has been bottom sitting a bit, but I guess this is why!

Oh, and do I need to do water changes daily if I can keep them in the tupperware?

- Can I keep them in the tupperware? Yes, for now

- Do they need a heater? No, if their water is anywhere between 68-78F, stable

- How long before you can see if they have black dots in them/when will I know if they're fertilized? About 24-48 hours

I've been worried about Edie lately because her belly's been soft and she has been bottom sitting a bit, but I guess this is why!

Oh, and do I need to do water changes daily if I can keep them in the tupperware? How big is the tupperware? How many eggs?

Congratulations, by the way!! :D

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Thanks Fang!!! I really hope some are fertilized :clapping:

Congratulations!! quick answer to those questions. 1. yes 2. no. 3. is temperature dependant , but in few hours you can see . 4. no

Oh, that cougar! :rofl

:Congrats:

Thank you Mikroll!

Fang the tupperware is about 4 inches deep and a 6X6 square

and I got maybe 25-50 eggs??

You're gonna be a grandma! Way to get your breeder badge! :D

If not fertilized, the eggs will turn white quickly. All white eggs should be removed asap, because those are likely to grow fungus, which can spread onto healthy, fertilized eggs.

As said, for now the tupperware container will be just fine. Small daily water changes will be needed anyway because you will want to remove uneaten food, waste etc.

How many eggs?

One thing I have noticed when I kept mine in a plastic container is though, that it is much harder to see waste and leftover food, fuzz etc in the white tub. I believe that it would be much easier to see waste if it was a bare bottom glass container, but that is just my personal preference for the future. :D

Water level needs to stay below 6 inches for the first few weeks. Other than that, the same rules apply as for adult fish: Stable parameters, clean water. A small air stone / sponge filter would be great in a few days.

What else... when they first hatch, some will spend up to 48 hours rolling on the bottom, not swimming or moving much at all. That is normal. Do not remove ones that appear dead.

If you have some plant to keep with the fry, that would be neat. The larvae looking babies like to hold on to something. Any kind of life plant will be good, and if you have a fast grower, it will probably keep the ammonia pretty much at 0 for now.

A turkey baster is great to remove uneaten food and waste, or a piece of airline tubing used like a gravel vacuum.

Within 24-48 hours you will have to start feeding them, as by that time their yolk sack is pretty much used up.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Okay, so if they are clear they are potentially fertilized and if they are white they are not? Some are definitely white, others I am not totally sure if it's clear or white?

Jess, Michael, and Fang (and others),

Why don't you guys carefully document the entire process, so that we can turn this into a pinned thread on eggs? :)

Some fertilized eggs may appear milky-clear. http://2.bp.blogspot...s1600/Eggs2.jpg

Solid white ones are bad. If in doubt, you can always remove those eggs into a small container and see if they are fertilized or not :)

Oh I found a great picture! Good thing I speak German! :D

The first one is a fresh, fertilized egg. Then you go by hours (Stunden), then days (Tage), weeks (Wochen) and months (Monate)

http://www.shubunkin..._jungfische.jpg

Alex, document what? (Michael and me)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Fang, I just meant to please be sure to include every bit of info you think is necessary/helpful. (This way I can run back to this thread at some point in the future to consult when in a panic, of course :rofl)

Oh ok, gotcha! LOL

Well, I'm trying to think of all that I can remember. It's almost 2 years ago that I had fry :blink:

Yea yeah... one thing... do not underfeed them like I did :doh11:

Make sure you got high quality food (as in my other topic, soilent green probably is a great food for fry, and if you can get your hands on a brine shrimp hatchery that would be perfect!!) and feed them many many little meals during the day.

I am 100% sure that the reason my shubie babies are such dwarfs is that they were raised on (not enough) dry fry food. The SG and fresh (or frozen) baby brine shrimp, fed often, will give you much chunkier, larger fish :)

OMG, Edie + Hashi = :heart:ehh

Congrats!! I'm so happy for you and I hope you have some fertilized eggs! Good luck. :D

OMG!!!!! Congratulations! I hope some are fertilized! Either way though, this will be a great learning experience and is so exciting. :) They would make the cutest babies ever! :heart

(Also, on a side note:

I am so jealous. The B² eggs turned out not fertilized even though I really hoped to have a baby of them.

At the same time it makes me happy to see this happening to you, and now I can at least enjoy the excitement of your possible babies! :) )

About time edie!!! Congrats jess!! Hopefully they're fertilized!

How exciting!! :carrot:

Here are pics of a couple of the eggs. I removed most of them and put them in a separate container (just in case I'm wrong) there are like 5-10 eggs that I think *might* be fertilized, but I could be totally wrong, it may be none of them are..... still exciting though! This is the first time Edie has dropped eggs!

DSC_0008_zps641a7d1c.jpg

DSC_0007_zpsd7349b8c.jpg

DSC_0005_zps312961e4.jpg

Be on the lookout in the main tank for tiny swimmers, just in case you missed one!

nice :) way to go grandmumma!

I really hope you have some that are fertilized!!! Your fish are GORGEOUS and they would make amazing babies :heart

Congratulations tithra! Please video the process and upload to your channel if you get the time!

Too cool! Hope some are fertilized!

I just saw one with black dots in it!!!