Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
number20121

"Cycle of the Tank" on Main Page

16 posts in this topic

Alright, I was just thinking that considered we try to get people to cycle their tanks without fish, wouldn't it make more sense that the first article that pops up when clicking the "Cycle of the Tank" tab on the main forum, was the article about fishless cycling?

As of now, every person that gets to the main page - member or just by google search - clicks on the cycling article is given instructions to do this:

"After 24 hours of running with the filter in the tank, you will need a fish that will help cycle the tank"

Uuuhhmm... what.

Of course there also is the article about fishless cycling - which is basically a foot note in this article about how to (ab)use a fish for cycling your tank.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the fishless cycle article as main article, with a mention about "if you have already started cycling with fish, follow these instructions: www.linktofishlesscycleonkokos " - and remove the suggestion to cycle with a fish in the tank?

Not trying to step on anybody's feet here, just my two cents. :)

Fang, there are definite parts of the forum that needs modification, and I am glad you spotted one. :)

As we all know, working on this forum is a labor of love, and there is a lot of it that needs updating, because we acquire new knowledge all the time. Thank you, Koko, for all your hard work! :)

I agree wholeheartedly with this!

Fang, there are definite parts of the forum that needs modification, and I am glad you spotted one. :)

As we all know, working on this forum is a labor of love, and there is a lot of it that needs updating, because we acquire new knowledge all the time. Thank you, Koko, for all your hard work! :)

Well absolutely!! :) That is what I love about this forum, the never ending strive for improvement :)

I agree!

I noticed this too when I first used the site (luckily I knew about fishless already), but promptly forgot about it once I started to use a bookmark directly to the forum.

Good job Fang!

Yep that would be a great improvement, since I saw that and that's exactly what I did.

Well the reason it is like that is that was the first page writen for the site.... remember guys, this site kokosgoldfish.com is now over 13 years old...

When I get the chance I will change that... and of course your talking about this page right?

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

Hello?

Hi Koko,

I think that is the page Fang and the others are talking about :)

TD and I are changing how the wording is on that page so that the fishless cycle shows more at the top... But I cant change the Cycle.html to the Fishlesscycle.Html this wouldnt work... So we are bringing it more attention to the top so people will realize that fishless cycle is better than the fish cycle. :)

Instead of saying this

If you prefer a "fishless" cycle technique, see this link.

May I suggest this, instead:

We recommend that when setting up new aquariums, a fishless cycle should be the first choice. Please see this link. However, if you have already added fish, then you will need to do a fish-in cycle, which is discussed further below.

:)

Instead of saying this

We recommend that when setting up new aquariums, a fishless cycle should be the first choice. Please see this link. However, if you have already added fish, then you will need to do a fish-in cycle, which is discussed further below.

:thumb:

From an seo perspective i would suggest striking out the section with a font rather than removing it. Not too good to modify a 13 year old Page too heavily

Mark it the old way or. Something so people know why it's struck out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by tastyworms

Instead of saying this

Ok its been changed take a look see please :)

Looks great!

Thank you, Koko! :)