Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
number20121

Repashy for hatchlings?

Not sure if this should go in the breeding or food forum, but I just wondered about this:

The Repashy gel mix does not expand when mixed with water.

So wouldn't it technically work to feed the "dry" powder to freshly hatched fry as substitute to actual fry food similar to Hikari First Bites, but of a better quality?

Just wondering.

Very interested to hear about this.

This is one of the ways spawn and grow is suggested to be fed, however most fry are supposed to be able to eat from a cube of prepared gel without issues. Here's a video about using spawn and grow to raise fry:

:)

That is interesting and as i have just obtained some I plane to test it on next batch of hatchlings as it contains many things which are very good for young fishes.

That is interesting and as i have just obtained some I plane to test it on next batch of hatchlings as it contains many things which are very good for young fishes.

I really look forward to hearing about your results! I plan on using it as we'll if my Wakin spawn this spring. :)

This is so interesting! The wonders of Repashy gel foods just never cease to amaze! :krazy: haha

My community tank gets a mix of sg and meat pie (the fish are becoming part of my in laws tank soon, so I didn't want to buy a whole bag of the community mix I would never use in time). My platy fry eat that mix. It's survival of the fittest in there so they swim all over, but I just drop a larger cube for the adults in, then a small cube in the fry's favorite corner. It's pretty heavily planted so they have lots of space to hide. I have 1 1-inch fry and at least 10 that are 1.5 weeks old roughly. All do fine on it, and the larger one eats with the grown-ups now. :) Spawn and grow is probably more nutritionally complete, but theres so much algae and other crud in that tank that I'm not too worried about it. I dont think my big fry even ate any type of food prepared by me until a month ago, since the pellets I used to feed were too big for her. But the little ones attack their cube just as well as the adults. :)

Fry living in a natural environment nibble algae and little animals like rotifers, (and those ugly worms people see through their microscopes) off surfaces. That's very similar to nibbling on a piece of repashy.

Do you really think those little worms are ugly, shakaho? :rofl

Alright, good to know. Using a small piece of the gel probably also makes the cleanup in a growout tank much easier!

I first named them "ugly worms" about 50 years ago. Haven't changed my mind.

What ugly worms are we talking about here? :blink:

I am so lost.

What ugly worms are we talking about here?

I am so lost.

LOL. I am just teasing shakaho about whether she really thinks microscopic worms are ugly :rofl

Helen has some pretty good samples of these.

I got it this far, I just thought you guys were talking about one specific kind of micro worm :lol

I think flukes look cute.

They still get the prazi treatment though :lol

We're talking about the tiny annelids that everyone finds when they start looking at tank water through the microscope. Guys that look like this.

I've never thought of sprinkling the powder. Have anyone tried this?

Power of repashy expands with water. Any that would be ingest dry by the fry would expand in their stomach. That is a complicating issues that can easily be avoided, I would recommend only feeding mixed gel foods :)

it clouds up the water, so i'd stick to making the cubes instead. oAo

Power of repashy expands with water. Any that would be ingest dry by the fry would expand in their stomach. That is a complicating issues that can easily be avoided, I would recommend only feeding mixed gel foods :)

I believe this was one of the suggestions by Allen Repashy or Ted Judy for feeding fry, etc. :)

I believe this was one of the suggestions by Allen Repashy or Ted Judy for feeding fry, etc. :)

I assume you mean the gel, right? I can't get my two fry to eat the gel. I think they are BBS spoiled :doh11:

EDIT: LOL GEL not GELD. That would have been a funny "joke" in German though. THEY EAT MY GELD.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I meant powder :rofl

Don't geld your fry, Fangster! :P

To think of it, when mixing it with water, it don't stay powder, so yeah, I guess feeding the powder isn't a good idea.