Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sean

Ich or not ich?

Sean, as you know your 12 gallon is really too small for goldfish. You should thoroughly wash out the tank with a mild bleach solution, rinsing until you can´t smell any bleach. Then, let it air dry. The tank would work very well for fish like guppies. I really like the blue and yellow ones.

as soon as you get back get some ich treatment do a water change and get those water parameters checked if they're still alive if theyre not i think sakura has a video on how to sterilize your tank and tank equipment

Sean, as you know your 12 gallon is really too small for goldfish. You should thoroughly wash out the tank with a mild bleach solution, rinsing until you can´t smell any bleach. Then, let it air dry. The tank would work very well for fish like guppies. I really like the blue and yellow ones.

Yeah actually i was considering tetras or guppies. As for the filter, what should i do? Replace it all?

Considering you need to upgrade, you will need to also upgrade your filtration. Goldfish require 10x the capacity of the tank per hour for filtration, meaning you may need more than one filter on the tank. When choosing filters, focus more on the GPH (gallons per hour)

assuming all of your fish are fancy breeds, you need to be looking at a tank size of 50 gallons for permanent housing, which is why sterile tubs as temporary housing may be a good option (they are quite cheap and it gives you time to search for a tank or save up for one). Fancies require around 20 gallons for the first fish, and 10 gallons added on per fish. Commons require 20 gallons per fish.

You will need to cycle the tank when you upgrade, which will possibly mean daily water changes of around 80% until it is stable enough to do fewer. Generally cycling can take 6-12 weeks, however this is prolonged when cycling with fish to keep them safe. If you are able to get established media from someone, that will help give your cycle a kick start making it a lot quicker :)

For now focus more on getting them out of the tank and into something big enough for them :)

Edited by Narny105