Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
nicole*

Black on my fish's fins

My fish Titan has been in quarintine and has recently begun developing black on his fins. at first i thought it was because of high water levels so i checked the levels and did a water change... But the levels where perfectly fine... So i was wondering if goldfish can get black coloring? ... because i thought that they could only get lighter like the colors orange or white...

do you have photos of the colour? it is not common, however not unusual either that some fish do get some natural black colouring. for example, one of my goldies who was red/white did get some black trim on her tail. at first, i too thought it could have been ammonia burns.. but, it proved to be just natural colouring.

I had a common do the same thing. He developed black on his face and dorsal. After a pH crash he went pale and lost it, along with an oranda and some of my calico pearlscales black. It never came back for the oranda or common but the pearlscale got hers back. Genetics is a funny thing. Fish go through many color changes. If your parameters are in check it is probably another environmental or genetic factor. Someone else may be more specific but I have had that happen to a healthy fish and he was just fine. It probably won't stay black though.

Sometimes a black spot on fish is a symptoms that fish is recovering from bacterial infections. I have seen this in one of my redcap oranda.

you say you have tested for Ammonia and nitrIte ?

Edited by FlipsHere

I checked a thread started on the 13th of this month by you Nicole.. Im I right that you have 4 fancies in a 20 gallon tank?

The black coloration could also be a sign of healing, either from an injury or ammonia burns that he received previous to being in QT. how long has he been in QT?

I checked a thread started on the 13th of this month by you Nicole.. Im I right that you have 4 fancies in a 20 gallon tank?

hun, do you have a link to this? i will be interested to see it too :)

oh no the 4 orandas are in a 75 gallon tank. and Titan is in the 20 gallon for quarintine. He has been in quarintine since... probably the same time i posted that on the thirteenth. It could possibly be a sign of healing because of how torn up he was... He is pretty close to fully recovering... he's still missing some scales though

oh no the 4 orandas are in a 75 gallon tank. and Titan is in the 20 gallon for quarintine. He has been in quarintine since... probably the same time i posted that on the thirteenth. It could possibly be a sign of healing because of how torn up he was... He is pretty close to fully recovering... he's still missing some scales though

That sounds about right. The healing process takes a while and it can take almost two weeks for the black to show up. I am sorry that I do not recall exactly what happened to him, I am reading most topics on here and it can get difficult to remember everything - but what exactly happened to him?

Still, it would be great if you could provide pictures, and the exact readings of the parameters in the QT tank :) That way we can rule out serious problems :)