Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gil

People suck; what can I do?

Someone posted on an anonymous discussion site for my college that they were abandoning their fish in a public space in another dorm. I decided to pick them up (people were making remarks about taking the tank and throwing the fish into the lake, etc., etc.) and I found someone with access to that dorm. I went and got the fish and their conditions are disgusting. The tank smells. The water is sh*t brown. There's no filter. There's something rotting in a corner that resembles some non-aquarium scrubby things that were left along with the tank that I declined to take with me.

The fish look reasonably healthy. It's mostly guppies and guppy fry and a lot of them at that. There's a long grey thing that vaguely resembles an axolotl but I might be completely wrong. I can't get a picture because of the water quality; the light started smoking and threatening to catch fire (!) so the tank is both dark and murky.

I'm going home in about twelve hours and it's about an hour's drive. I was already stressing about moving my betta fish and now this! It seems like a bad idea to do a water change or anything but I'm not sure what else I can do. Any advice? I'm pissed as hell that someone did this. It's not like you don't know when winter break starts.

(also, anyone in CT/MA want some tropical fish? :P)

Ok so you have to move the fish soon. Can you get a small tub to transport them in? Walmart etc has nice 5 gallon tubs with snap on lids for only a few bucks.

I would fill this halfway with a 50/50 mix of murky tank water and fresh dechlorinated water, and transport the fish in it. I would not put the fish in all fresh water immediately because this may shock them.

Then at home, set their tank up etc and use their transportation water. About 8 hours later (if possible) add another 50% of fresh water.

Tomorrow then I'd do a 50% water change, and one the next day etc.

I think a filter will not be needed until the water is mostly "fresh" water. Maybe an air stone, that would be great. :)

Could the grey thing be a dragon fish? http://aquabiotech2.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/mossorongo1.jpg

Id follow Fangs advice, the when possible take any livestock you are unable to keep to a reputable LFS who can identify and care for it til they find new owners.

Some people are just heinous and have no respect for living creatures - these guys are lucky you were there to save them.

I'm so sorry that happened to you, but I'm glad that you were able to hold onto the fish. Once you get their tank all cleaned up, I bet you'll want to keep them! :D

so what are they in now? from what i understand, you've taken the fish and merky water and put them where?

Yep that's why I have 5 dogs, 3 cats, 3 ferrets, a leopard tortoise and one husband. People suck and I try to avoid them as much as possible, except for Kokonuts of course. Awesome job saving the fish!

Ugh, Lord have mercy :doh11: People amaze me. ^ This is also why I have so many pets. Good for you for taking them in and doing the responsible thing by seeking help for them.

The world needs more folks like you :)

To add to the group of people with many pets: This was mainly the same for me/my family when I was a kid/teen. We took in a lot of homeless animals, and even had strangers that lived a block away show up at 10pm with a kitten once because they knew someone we knew, who told them we had cats.

That woman just had a baby and the baby was allergic to the kitten (supposedly... ) and she wanted a good home for the kitty.

So we took the kitty in that same day too, even though we had JUST gotten a new puppy.

At one point we had 5 dogs, 9 cats, several guinea pigs (I don't even remember the number), a dozen budgies, a ton of zebra finches (these guys started breeding) and a few other birds.

And yes, we lived in an apartment at that time :rofl

Anyway, back to topic: How are the guys today? Is the grey fish a dragon fish?

Oh and the reason why I said a filter is not needed yet is that these guys have been living without a filter for a while. With the water so murky, the filter media will get ultra dirty instantly. Thus, waiting until the water is clean and clear is your best choice, and then you can probably use some media from one of your established tanks.

What size tank did they come with anyway?

Its incredibly kind of you to take those fish in and I'm sure they appreciate it :) I second the idea of bringing them to a reputable store if you can't/don't want to keep them. If you call around someone will probably let you donate or sell them to their store.

It always amazes me how little empathy a lot of people show towards fish, and to animals (and humans) in general . :(

What a great (albeit stressful) thing you are doing for these fish. Good luck with them! :heart

BTW: I love your Anxiety Girl in your signature . . . that is sooooo me. :o

I can bet that the person's undies are the same condition as te tank :redcard . Thank you for doing this, Gil.

I can bet that the person's undies are the same condition as te tank :redcard . Thank you for doing this, Gil.

Oh God... I could have gone my whole life without reading that! :blink:

Or maybe that person was wearing sunglasses indoors and didn't see it? I cannot believe that they were not ashamed to publicly display such aquarium. Condition of this tank says a lot about the person that abandoned it.

Ewww! :o

Sorry for posting and running; I had finals and then had to get home and just never got a chance to come on.

Fang, thank you so much for your advice! It helped out a good deal and I think kept us from shocking the fish with all-new water. The long thing turned out to be a Senegal bichir (random, right?) and a fish-loving friend back home volunteered to take them. We set them up in a 40 gallon long (they were in a ten gallon originally) and everyone is looking pretty happy thus far.

Niesia, I'm hoping you're right because there's no way that you could live with this and have no idea! I'm pretty upset with the person. She came back on the forum-thing to say she was a very experienced fishkeeper, that her roommate was supposed to take care of the fish, that they were just feeder fish anyway and how great that she didn't flush them down the toilet, and also the most basic fish advice (you can buy dechlorinator at a pet store, apparently). Pretty gross. Some people suck but it's good to know people at Kokos will have your back. :thumb:

That. tank. is. disgusting.

They are going to think they died and went to heaven in their new larger CLEAN home!

Great job rehoming them. :D

I think I'd have to hunt the person down and put my foot so far up their @$$ they'd have shoe laces tinkling their tonsils.

:blowup: