Sign in to follow this  
larryngu

How much are gf affected by water temperature change of a large WC?

10 posts in this topic

I'm treating my gf, Goldy, with Prazi and salt just as a preventative.

The central heating in my Condo is set to 75 degrees.

The water that comes out of the tap is much colder than the water temperature of Goldys in her tank.

If I plan to do a 60% water change on Goldy's tank (using the cold tap water), should I be concerned that the temperature change will negatively affect Goldy?

What I've been doing is filling 1 gallon bottles of water with tap water and waiting for the water bottle to get to room temperature before I change her water.

Large drops in temperature can be detrimental, and could even result in dropsy.

Do you not have a hot water nozzle at the tap? During the winter months, I always have to mix in a little bit of warm water to the flow so that the temp matches that of the tank, as determined by the touch test.

Yeah, I do a hot water nozzle.

That's a good idea to mix hot and cold water.

I've been wondering how people with Aqueon water changers get away with directly running tap water into their tanks.

Edited by larryngu

on a separate but similar side note: during the summer, my "cold" tap water is warmer (85F) than room temp (75F). i put water in a large bin (20 gal tub) and pour in some ice. double check that new water is right temp with thermometer, then scoop water into tank.

i'm lucky that my place has ice machine, otherwise i'd have to wait like you did.

water changes should be much easier now for you :) best of luck with your prazi

I use my Python for water changes and I just adjust the hot/cold to get the tap water to the temp that I want.

wow i didnt know dropsy can come from this interesting

on a separate but similar side note: during the summer, my "cold" tap water is warmer (85F) than room temp (75F). i put water in a large bin (20 gal tub) and pour in some ice. double check that new water is right temp with thermometer, then scoop water into tank.

i'm lucky that my place has ice machine, otherwise i'd have to wait like you did.

water changes should be much easier now for you :) best of luck with your prazi

It's the same for me, just that my tap water in summer is in the mid 90s and I have to change about 150 gallons of water every week. :lol

I have to buy ice in 16lb bags every week LOL

I use my Python for water changes and I just adjust the hot/cold to get the tap water to the temp that I want.

This is what I do, too.

Yeah, I do a hot water nozzle.

That's a good idea to mix hot and cold water.

I've been wondering how people with Aqueon water changers get away with directly running tap water into their tanks.

i got some great advice about using the mixer tap and a meat thermometer to ensure a good temperature match. Its works perfectly. I attach my siphon to a hose and start it off. It runs outside straight into the drain. Then i get the temp right on the mixer tap, take the siphon off the tank end and attach the tap connector end to fill it up again. No more buckets for me and its cheaper that a phython or aqueon.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Edited by orandafan1981

If the goldfish are commons or comets, the cold water change won't affect them. Fancy goldfish will be a little more sensitive.