Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
StarSapphire22

Claptrap's QT Journal

Hey guys.

Just making a qt journal for Claptrap. It is currently Day 2. He went in last night. His water is coming from my main tank, due to tap water issues, but it's clean and all. I'll be doing 100% daily water changes. It's a ten gallon tank with bubble wand. He is being prazi-ed with salt, going up to .3%. Parameters right now are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates <10, pH 7.8.

Issues noted upon arrival:

1) 1 scale missing.

2) Red streaking in fins. Was much better this morning, has gotten worse now towards the end of the night.

3) Rip in the translucent flap under his left gill plate. His fin hits it when he swims and has ripped it. It's a small tear, but red and irritated looking.

New development:

I was just doing Claptrap's water change for the day. He's double prazi-ed and at .2% salt now. Everything was ready to go in his tank and I picked him up to move him back in and he squirmed REALLY hard and I dropped him. He fell about 2.5 feet, onto carpet and flopped a few times, and I got him back into his holding container. I picked any fuzzies off that got on him, and then noticed a chunk of his beautiful tail was missing. I'll take pictures in a minute, but is there anything else I can do for him? My poor baby. :cry1

Do you have enough good water and salt to do a salt dip? This will help with some of the external issues that he's faced. Other than that, it sounds like everything is external, so it's just a matter of letting things heal in the coming days.

I actually just used the last of my salt on this WC, we're picking more up tomorrow night. Can I do one then?

Sure. :)

How is he doing?

It's about a 2 inch long chunk, btw, and about 1/3 of an inch wide. The top lobes of his tail were fused, and it broke of most of that area. There's about an inch left of that spot coming from his body, then a fairly square break.

EDIT: He's just swimming around. Nothing unusual really, except he's maybe a little dart-y in his swimming every once in a while. He's playing with the bubbles right now.

Edited by StarSapphire22

i'm sorry sweetie :(

but, things should still go well :) i dropped one of my fish from a great height which landed on a hard tiled floor. this caused a telescope eye to deflate, but he pulled through with no problems whatsoever.. i have faith your fish will be ok :heart

I just feel so bad. He really doesn't like being held, but I have to to do his water changes...he's big and his squirmies are a lot stronger than my other fishies', and stronger than my grip. It's one thing to have his gill rip or red streaks from shipping, but this one is my fault. :cry1

Use some sort of container to scoop him out, like those containers that they use at Petsmart to put the bag in to fill with water. I rarely touch my fish these days. :)

I tried that to take him out but the container doesn't fit the tank very well, I didn't want to put any of his old water back in, so I carried him back over instead of pouring. :no:

but this one is my fault. :cry1

i know very well the guilt this brings hun. but remember, it was an accident and you will learn from it. you will handle things better from this point forward. it will never happen again. right? chin up, you will get through this and fishy will be just fine :)

You can get a small plastic colander and scoop him up with that. It will safely contain him while letting the water drain away. While carrying it, you can cover it with something plastic- maybe a plastic lid from one of those 1-gallon ice cream buckets. That way if he flops, he won't flop out of the colander. :)

I hope he feels better soon!

Edited by Sakura

Sakura, that's a good idea. My grip isn't very strong...I shattered my left hand in high school and that hand is very weak now, so I'm not sure I'm able to hold him tight enough to keep his wiggly butt under control. I will try that, thank you. :heart

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uywC5566vao?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uywC5566vao?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uywC5566vao?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

hun, he looks a million bucks.. :) things will go well for him :bighug

the salt for his normal QT purposes will clear this up in no time at all. by the time he's outta QT, most of everything that intends on growing back, will do so. he's so beautiful :heart

Aww, that's scary, Jess. Don't blame yourself. Next time you will be prepared. :hug

I'm sure he'll be ok. I had to rescue a monster-sized common and he was dropped TWICE! And had huge sores of bare skin and broken scales. It's all scarred up now and healed but he'll always have the spots. I felt TERRIBLE at the time but the owner was in a hurry to get him out and there was no net big enough.

I think his tail will grow back and he'll be perfectly fine.

And also..love your fish names. Claptrap? Samus? Bowser? Epic. ;)

Poor kiddo! Talk about a short drop and a sudden stop. Don't beat yourself up, I think most everyone's dropped a fish :D I've always said, the only people that don't make mistakes, are dead people.

Thanks guys. :hug

The break in his tail is bloody today. He still hasn't eaten either. He acts like he's hungry, searching the bottom for stuff once in a while, but won't touch repashy when I put it in there. :idont Still very active and alert though and having fun teasing the kitties. :)

How about 90% water changes so you don't have to touch him. It messes with the slime coat when you handle a fish. Only time my fish come out of their tanks is if I am moving the tank.

Have you fed the Repashy before to him? He just might not know what it is yet.

And Hidr, it is perfectly alright to handle a fish with your hands as long as they are wet and clean. :)

He's too big to do more than 75% with him in the tank. He's a big boy...about 3 inches tall I'd say? It's an unfiltered, uncycled tank so it needs big changes.

I have, but he hasn't tried it yet. I think Steve feeds mostly vegetables if I remember correctly. I'm going to try some seaweed on a clip if he doesn't figure out the repashy soon.

You should ask again, because I am now curious. I highly doubt he feeds them mostly veggies.

You should ask again, because I am now curious. I highly doubt he feeds them mostly veggies.

I second this, because of the article he wrote.

[edit] I found it. Here.

Edited by GoldenSpoiledRotten

I second this, because of the article he wrote.

[edit] I found it. Here.

Good job, Chelsea! That is EXACTLY my reason as to why I highly doubted that he feeds them veggies all the time.

I also read elsewhere where he extrudes food to make his own pellets :)