Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
erictruong

Are there any fish dirtier than goldfish?

I'm already doing 2 50% water changes a week on my 75 Gallon goldfish tank and I have kept many other types of tropical fish that do not require this much maintenance and I was just wondering if there are other breeds of fish that would require this much maintenance?

I also had tropical tanks in the past, and decided to switch to goldfish because it would be so much easier... LOL! Oy, the maintenance!!

I don't know if any other fish are dirtier, but I'm curious to hear the answer! :D

Haha yeah! I'm still keeping some tropical fish now and I do about half the maintenance on those tanks than my goldfish tank D;

Large pleco species are worse than goldies, IMO. Oscars are also heavy waste producers..I am thinking bass would be, too, if you were doing the "native tank" thing. Probably some of the other larger cichlids, as well. If it's large and heavy waste, like goldfish are, it would be a bear for tank maintenance. Part of what makes goldies so heavy with the waste is their very simple digestive systems that allows a lot to pass- the other part is that they get to be very large fish, and large fish= large waste.

Haha thats true, Oscars are quite a mess sometimes :P

The thing is my goldfish aren't that large at all, none of them over 3 inches long and before every feeding (feed about 3 - 4 times a day now) I see the barebottom of the tank with quite a bit of fish waste haha

Piranhas are messy at mealtime, too, but not so much heavy in the waste department. I remember feeding hot dogs to my babysitter's kids' fish and watching the tank go cloudy.

I don't think anything other than large plecos can rival a goldfish in poop production, though!

I have never kept any plecos to be honest, so I haven't really noticed the amount of waste they produce :P I find it kind of ironic because plecos are suppose to clean up the tank ahha

They clean it up to make a mess again! We had a big plec that used to just cover the bottom in....mess.... Lol!

Puffers are pretty messy, but I don't know if they are as messy as goldfish.

I haven't noticed goldfish to be any dirtier than cichlids.

It is said that goldfish are dirtier than tropical fish but I suspect that it is just because they are bigger. It is likely that goldfish and tropical fish of the same weight produce close to the same amount of waste.

I've had puffers and a super huge pleco over the years, but I think goldfish are second only to water turtles in the ability to poop gratuitous amounts.

There absolutely are. Large growing plecos produce a massive amount of waste.

Oscars as well. There is a reason why 50 gallons are required as minimum tank for one oscar.

I'd say pretty much any fish that grows larger than a goldfish will produce more waste.

And of course, it also depends on the amount fed. We tend to feed goldfish more to make them look fat and round. That is nothing we would do for example for an angelfish. I know my small goldfish that are probably only about 50% of my angels body volume, get fed twice as much as he does, which means they each get 4x more food than the angelfish, compared to body mass.

I had a brown common pleco for 10 to 12 years, he was a good 14" long when we had to give him away. Fed daily with catfish pellets and algae wafers... my god, just streams and streams of poop lol.

I'm already doing 2 50% water changes a week on my 75 Gallon goldfish tank and I have kept many other types of tropical fish that do not require this much maintenance and I was just wondering if there are other breeds of fish that would require this much maintenance?

Thats a hell of alot of water! Is that to keep nitrates under control I presume? Have you considered biological means to keep nitrate down?

I would expect large carnivorous fish to produce more waste - like catfish, lungfish or bichirs

Large pleco species are worse than goldies, IMO. Oscars are also heavy waste producers..I am thinking bass would be, too, if you were doing the "native tank" thing. Probably some of the other larger cichlids, as well. If it's large and heavy waste, like goldfish are, it would be a bear for tank maintenance. Part of what makes goldies so heavy with the waste is their very simple digestive systems that allows a lot to pass- the other part is that they get to be very large fish, and large fish= large waste.

I will have to agree Oscars are very messy fish.. I had two of them years ago, and man what messy fish they where plus the size of there tanks :yikes

Goldfish produce a lot of waste because they are big fish who are routinely overfed. Can you imagine the poop production of a yard-long koi? Makes goldfish look like tidy little guys.

Goldfish produce a lot of waste because they are big fish who are routinely overfed. Can you imagine the poop production of a yard-long koi? Makes goldfish look like tidy little guys.

:rofl

Had two oscars and boy were they messy! I fed them a lot and man did they eat! Their growth rate was amazing!

Thats a hell of alot of water! Is that to keep nitrates under control I presume? Have you considered biological means to keep nitrate down?

its actually because I haven't seen much growth in my goldfish, I use to do one water change a week but other members suggested me to do 2 water changes a week instead ahha

I looked into a native tank once when we brought a little Perch home from fishing and it was still alive. The article I found said it was ok to keep them in a home aquarium (not illegal) but they would be heavy waste producers and need to be fed live things. The fish passed away before I could decide what to do. :( But yeah, native fishes would be messy or messier than gf.