Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Okori

Pearlscales galore!

FINALLY!!! Found a d@mn flash player to work on my stupid new phone :happydance I was determined to watch your video! How funny, I'm going, is that a cockatiel I here? Yep. What a pretty guard bird :D So many babies!!! Is that a Koko's record? Your fishies are so freaking ADORABLE!!! I'm in love with the one that looks like it has a red mohawk, but they're all so beautiful. Oh and you sounded like you'd been doing videos your whole life, awesome job of it. Thanks so much for posting it :clapping:

:heart :heart

congratulations hun.. super adorable :wub:

Look at all those fry!! The bird is adorable and the fish in the big tank are :druel!!!

Thanks for the video. You sound excellent! :)

At what age is it possible to sex them? I'm thinking of having his and hers tanks. I just love watching ya'lls babies, so fascinating

:theater: I

I think I'd make myself crazy though, every time one of my babies hiccuped, I'd have a panic attack :krazy:

^You don't sound nervous at all! and awwwwww babies! The grow out babies (hardly babies now) look so good! Their little crowns are too precious. I've found hamas to have less troublesome for swim bladder problems. My big girl Roos really only gets top heavy during waterchanges because it stresses her out, but shes pretty solid otherwise, especially now that's shes on repashy. She's like 81 grams atm and about 7ish inches including tail.

I agree with the floaty issue, crowned pearlies are much better than tikus, and I am a firm believer that repashy helps reduce floaty issues. <3 I love your Roos, by the way, such a beautiful little fish.

FINALLY!!! Found a d@mn flash player to work on my stupid new phone :happydance I was determined to watch your video! How funny, I'm going, is that a cockatiel I here? Yep. What a pretty guard bird :D So many babies!!! Is that a Koko's record? Your fishies are so freaking ADORABLE!!! I'm in love with the one that looks like it has a red mohawk, but they're all so beautiful. Oh and you sounded like you'd been doing videos your whole life, awesome job of it. Thanks so much for posting it :clapping:

Yes, that's Sebastion my little cockatiel. He likes to be part of all the action, no matter what it might be. I really love his coloring too!! He's got such a deep red to him I'm so proud <3 Thanks for the kind words, I've got no confidence......

At what age is it possible to sex them? I'm thinking of having his and hers tanks. I just love watching ya'lls babies, so fascinating

:theater: I

I think I'd make myself crazy though, every time one of my babies hiccuped, I'd have a panic attack :krazy:

I was able to gender my guys at just a little over six months. You learn to surpress the PANIC instinct and take things in stride. Goldfish fry are pretty forgiving, and watching them grow is super amazing. Everyone should do it XD

Awww..lovely fish and congrats! I, too, have fry right now and it's such a joy! I worry every day that I'll lose them all or I'm not doing something right, etc etc.

You know..I don't have a pearscale yet... *wink-wink* If you have a ton to find homes for a few months from now, I'd love to buy one!

Awww..lovely fish and congrats! I, too, have fry right now and it's such a joy! I worry every day that I'll lose them all or I'm not doing something right, etc etc.

You know..I don't have a pearscale yet... *wink-wink* If you have a ton to find homes for a few months from now, I'd love to buy one!

ha ha i think anyone that's raised goldfish fry knows that constant panic attack feeling with everything; feeding, water changes, you name it.

I have no idea how to ship fish, but enough people seem interested that I'm going to have to get on it!

Had a bit of a scare with the little guys over the holiday. I believe it was a combination of things, but I'm not certain. Came home and all the little guys were floating at the surface and clinging to the sides, not swimming. This could be from one of two things: 1.) I had my roommate feed them while i was a work, and I believe she got a little carried away as shes not used to feeding such small amounts and egg yolk is very messy, 2.) I'd left my bottle of Prime at a friends house while helping him with a water change, and had to use an off brand dechlorinator I wasn't familiar with for their water change with since he was not home.

Lost about 30 of the little guys over the course of a few very stressful days, but almost all the other fry have recovered from this ordeal (a few are still very stressed and floaty). Keeping my fingers crossed that whatever occured has caused no long term damage. =/

Oh shoot. I clicked here thinking there was an update.

How are things going? :idont

Little guys are doing great! No more fry loss, other than some light culling, I'd guess I'm down to only 400 or so :rofl. And you can see their fancy tails now! <3 They're so tiny and cute, I can't stand it.

Broke down and added a heater, and saw a huge change in growth rates. More pictures soon!

Can't wait to see pictures!!! Do post soon! :D

omg.. i am soooo hanging for pics.. please post very soon! i can't wait to see them :D

Pictures? :)

OMG yes pictures please! I'm not an outspoken pearlie lover but they are the cutest things ever!! My favorite fishy kiwi, a pearlie just passed away and I feel that hole in my heart ): so piiiiiictuurres!!

I hate to disappoint but here's the bad news; moved into a new apartment right after these guys were a month or so old. The landlord failed to warn me about shoddy breakers in my "fish room" (it's a very old house) lost a lot of the babies/ adults to oxygen deprivation, lost more to starvation when my time shrimp hatchery crashed and eggs fouled the water. What few remained were culls.

I do want to point out, however, that this was a tremendous learning experience, despite all the negatives.

First, it taught me how quickly and easily things can go wrong (like with the food and oxygen) and to always have back ups prepared for such cases. Had I had a generator or battery powered bubbler I could've saved more fry, and a second food source.

Second, looking back at the situation, I was more eager then sensible. My goal was a tiku pearlscale, but I was starting with long finned Hamanashiki. I would've spent generations trying to shorten the tail and remove the crown, where it would better to start with a fish much closer to my desired traits.

Also, with my fantail spawn, I bred a calico female to a red/white male, an most of the fry came out as pinkies, and were culled. If I were to start again, I'd prefer to have both red/white parents to reduce the amount of fry I would cull simply for coloration.

Thank you to everyone who kept an eye on this thread, and for your kind words and support, but I've got a lot to learn before I attempt to "raise" such a line.