Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Okori

Pearlscales galore!

:cry But but but! I want some too!

:please

I've taken kittens to work why not fish?

Edited by smegypsiren

Oh, I also forgot to mention, all honorary Pearlscale lovers also get free babies, so PSP and Smegy, you're both covered. Now to just figure out how to ship them.....

A friend of mine works at a place called the wetlands institute and he takes care of their fish and critters and he told me he can get me free tanks! So many opportunities!

Why is it I'm getting all these offer for free fry and I don't have room.

Um, Santa . . . :fishtank:

Out of 450 how many will make it do you think? Will you be culling ones that don't come up to scratch?

Interesting double header!

:bounce <------me the whole time I was reading this thread. :rofl

Congrats!!!! I can't wait to see them! :happydance

:bounce <------me the whole time I was reading this thread. :rofl

Congrats!!!! I can't wait to see them! :happydance

I feel like that every time I read someone's fry journal! It's so exciting to see a tiny little stick with eyes turn into a beautiful fish <3

Out of 450 how many will make it do you think? Will you be culling ones that don't come up to scratch?

Well if all goes well I will be culling them periodically for the next 3 months. First for major flaws, such as severely bent spines, detached eyes. Next will be single and triple tails. I might keep a couple to watch their growth, but with as slow moving as pearlscales are I'd rather err to the side of caution. Once these have been removed I expect to only have 50 or less, from there I will be looking for single anal fins (not a major issue IMO, but not something I want to breed back), clear gill plates, non pearling scales. Those fry will be moved to a growout tank to go to the LFS. From there I hope to have at least 5 nice fry remaining to use as my F1 for next years breeding. For anyone who kept up with my winter grooming project (big sucess IMO) I'm working towards tiku pearlscales, but I want to start with a stable bloodline so I'll know the genetic background of my fish. Even though these guys are Hamanishiki, both parents have very small hoods, and I'm hoping over a few generations of careful breeding I can eliminate it all together.

Unfortunately, I have the hard choice of culling hard or keeping alot of fry in close quarters risking poor water quality and stunting. For anyone who's looked at Ted's Fish Room (repashy) he built a wonderful fry rack and I think that will be my next step once these guys start growing like weeds <3

Oh, I also forgot to mention, all honorary Pearlscale lovers also get free babies, so PSP and Smegy, you're both covered. Now to just figure out how to ship them.....

WOOOOOOOO!!! HOOOOOOOO!!! :nana :alc :pianobanana:tbanana

Triple tail? I don't think I know what is, sounds cool! I'm going to start googling up a storm.

Yeah ah Santa hook me up with a tank too :D

I don't care how many you cull, just save me one! ;) Also this thread needs more pictures. MORE TINY STICK PICTURES.

Oh! Triple tails are AWESOME!!! Culling, that's code for sending them to me, right?

Yes, more pics would be awesome!

Oh! Triple tails are AWESOME!!! Culling, that's code for sending them to me, right?

No, that's killing them. :rofl

Um....I might want one too, when they are all grown up, if I have upgraded tanks by then and you have some...how old will they be when you plan on getting rid of some? I really miss my little chubbers, Bowser. I'd like to try a pearlie again, but not a tiku.... they're just too fragile and I'm so scared. :no: But I love their little chubby tumtums. :heart

Some members on here like the blushing plates and nymphs, you may want to keep a couple, if you have any. ;) I picked my calico fan tail cause I liked her little blusher plate. :)

Um....I might want one too, when they are all grown up, if I have upgraded tanks by then and you have some...how old will they be when you plan on getting rid of some? I really miss my little chubbers, Bowser. I'd like to try a pearlie again, but not a tiku.... they're just too fragile and I'm so scared. :no: But I love their little chubby tumtums. :heart

Some members on here like the blushing plates and nymphs, you may want to keep a couple, if you have any. ;) I picked my calico fan tail cause I liked her little blusher plate. :)

I will not even attempt to send a fish younger than 3 months old for several reasons. First, I like to grow my fry in cooler water. This doesn't give you the tremendous growth rate that you see typically with thai breeders (darn them and their wonderful climate) but allows the fish more time to grow, allowing bulk to be added and prolonging the life of the fish. The downside however is that fish raised in cooler water also seem to color up much slower, so they might all still be "wild" types. Second, all of the major development of a fry is achieved in the first three months of their lives; size, color, body depth and shape. These things can all be improved later in life, but you can do irrepairable damage in this time if they are not properly cared. Finally, while I know many people have sucessfully shipped younger fry, I feel that at three months old they can handle the stress of shipping with a greater chance of recovery.

Tikus have a notoriously bad reputation for being difficult to care for and floaty. That's partially why I wanted to work towards a tiku with the more hardy hamanishiki. While they have the calcified scales, you rarely hear of hamas having floating issues, i attribute this to the longer bodies and less severe ping-pong shape. True tiku's look like golfballs with fins. What I'm working towards will be more of an "americanized" pearlscale, well rounded, but hardier.

What is a blusher plate? :idont

A blushing plate is when there is no coloration/pigment over the gill plate, so you can see the gills through the plate giving them a "blushing" appearance. My calico female just spawned this morning (with the same calico male... go big daddy!), and she has blushing plates, so the chances of the fry having them are quite high.

Aaaah, I know exactly what you're talking about. Thanks for the explanation! :)

Tiku? hamanishiki? hamas? I think I need subtitles lol. Google here I come again. Well I'll be more then happy to have ones that don't have blusher plates, it's never done much for me. Heck I'll be happy as long as they don't have 3 eyes and moo :D

This is a Tiku pearlscale, named for the triangular "mousy" shape of the head, short finnage, and extreme roundness of the body. Closely resembles a golfball with fins.

5979d1173680846-world-tikus-pearlscale-pearlscale-champ-1.jpg

This is your more standard pearlscale, resembling more of a fantail in shape with a slightly deeper body.

8875a.JPG

This is a "crowned" pearlscale, also known as a Hamanishiki, or Hama for short. Hama's are known for their "crown", which in the ideal fish is a single smooth bubble, but is often split down the middle (kind of looks like a butt, really), and a few even have the more raspberry style when growth we see in goldfish like oranda.

9k=

Edited by Okori

Sorry, the Hamanishiki picture didn't work, here's a better one.

Z

Edited by Okori

Oh cool, thanks a lot! That poor tiku! I can't imagine how it can function. I really like the ones that are somewhere in the middle, between about to explode and the traditional. I can go either way on crowns, unless they get so big its like a chefs hat. That's just weird to me. I do hope you get what your shooting for, but I'll be so happy with the misses :D I'M SO EXCITED!!! I dream of red and white pudge buckets.

To be honest I wanted a super fat fish like that, and I purchased a very similar pearlscale from GC not to long ago and it completely changed my mind. She's the most miserable fish I've ever had. She's somewhat active, but tires out easily, even with a super gentle flow rate its awful to watch her swim, it's more struggle than graceful. Even my tvr ranchu (both of which are rather chubby and have deep tail tucks) are more active and happy then my big pearlscale. While I like the "golfball" shape, I also want happy and healthy fish. My goal is to find that medium. <3

^You don't sound nervous at all! and awwwwww babies! The grow out babies (hardly babies now) look so good! Their little crowns are too precious. I've found hamas to have less troublesome for swim bladder problems. My big girl Roos really only gets top heavy during waterchanges because it stresses her out, but shes pretty solid otherwise, especially now that's shes on repashy. She's like 81 grams atm and about 7ish inches including tail.