Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mernany

Okay! Things are getting better buuuttt...

Hey guys!

So I've been fighting with my new tank and it's water. So generally I've had no nitrites (yay!) but since I set it up (about a week ago) I fought with ammonia levels and Nitrate levels. Now I've gotten to the point where ammonia is under control for sure! One thing is the Nitrate levels...

I had a bottom sitting scare but Basil turned out to just be playing a cruel joke on mom sooo he's fine but I had posted a forum in the diagnosing section and they said that because I was not having much problems with ammonia or nitrate then my filter wasn't cycled. Right now I've been checking my water everyday sometimes twice a day and have hada few time where my nitrates got high and did a water change. How long does it usually take to cycle a filter? Things seem to be better now as last night and this morning the readings were at or under 5 pmm. Do you think my filter is cycled?

Next on my list of questions is my pH it's been at a steady 7.2 which is a little low but better then what it was (6.6 :no: ). Now it did that on it's own slowly. But I know it's still low so should I add a buffer?

Next on the list is hardness. I have a question about figuring out test results. I know that it's by drop but when you are reading the chart (I have the API kit) is the number with the little degrees sign by it the number of drops? If so I had 4 drops so would thatbe 50-100pmm? And then is that okay for water hardness or should I worry? How do you make the water harder?

Whew.. sorry for the crazy post once I got the ammonia and I think the nitrate levels now under control I had other questions! Go figure! Thanks guys!!

If your tank has been only running a week then it is not cycled, unless you are using cycled media. Do you mind telling us what size your tank is and how many fish? It generally takes about 3 months to do a fish in cycle, with daily water changes when the ammonia goes above .50 ppm. The nitrites then will show up. As for the hardness, we usually want it to be around 100ppm.

What are the parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and Ph) for your tap? Do you use Prime?

edit: 4 drops for Gh is 71.6 and that's too low. i don't know much about buffers since I've never had to use one, so another member will chime in and help you out :)

Edited by sarajo

Hey guys!

So I've been fighting with my new tank and it's water. So generally I've had no nitrites (yay!) but since I set it up (about a week ago) I fought with ammonia levels and Nitrate levels. Now I've gotten to the point where ammonia is under control for sure! One thing is the Nitrate levels...

I had a bottom sitting scare but Basil turned out to just be playing a cruel joke on mom sooo he's fine but I had posted a forum in the diagnosing section and they said that because I was not having much problems with ammonia or nitrate then my filter wasn't cycled. Right now I've been checking my water everyday sometimes twice a day and have hada few time where my nitrates got high and did a water change. How long does it usually take to cycle a filter? Things seem to be better now as last night and this morning the readings were at or under 5 pmm. Do you think my filter is cycled?

What are your readings? Please do one daily and post the results. :)

Next on my list of questions is my pH it's been at a steady 7.2 which is a little low but better then what it was (6.6 :no: ). Now it did that on it's own slowly. But I know it's still low so should I add a buffer?

7.2 is about perfect.

Next on the list is hardness. I have a question about figuring out test results. I know that it's by drop but when you are reading the chart (I have the API kit) is the number with the little degrees sign by it the number of drops? If so I had 4 drops so would thatbe 50-100pmm? And then is that okay for water hardness or should I worry? How do you make the water harder?

4 drops translates to about 70ppm, which is OK. It's better if you can bring it to at least 7 drops. :)

Whew.. sorry for the crazy post once I got the ammonia and I think the nitrate levels now under control I had other questions! Go figure! Thanks guys!!

I do not use Prime although I plan on getting it next paycheck. The tank has two fish and is 20 gallons

Today's results were 0 pmm for ammonia, 0 pmm for nitrite, under 5 pmm for nitrates (barely orange color), and pH was 7.2 still. Hardness was still 4 drops...

My tap is 0 pmm for everything and pH of 7.4. I have not done a hardness test on the tap though so I'll get that tomorrow.

It seems that everything is leveling out but I am of course doing water tests every day to make sure. I also have a my normal weekly water change planned tomorrow.

PAmmonia night was slighly green so a little over 0 pmm but didn't seem like .25 pmm either. Nitrites were 0 pmm. Nitrates was between 5 and 10 pmm. I did a water change tonight as well after testing.

How much water are you changing during your water changes? What is in your filter for media? What is the temp?

These will help us find out if you are doing the right things to help your cycle along :)

Hey guys!

Like Sarajo said, if you have a brand new tank without prior media from an old tank then you are not cycled and it will take up to 3 months with fish in to cycle. Try and keep your nitrates below 20-30ppm. Do you have nitrates in your tap water? It is unclear to me whether this is a brand new tank or just a newly setup tank with old media. To cycle fully there will be an ammonia phase, a nitrite phase followed by nitrates which you control with water changes. Maybe you can elaborate a little more.

I raise my GH by using Seachem Replenish which is just calcium and magnesium which adds hardness to the water. I don't use alot, just a capful here and there, enough to bring my water up to 6-8 drops. Replenish will only raise your GH though, it will not raise your KH or PH, what is your KH? If you need to raise both GH and KH there are better ways.

Okay I'm going to start from the beginning for everyone :P

A week ago my original tank cracked all up the front so I went and got the tank I have currently. I'm not sure why but I threw out the old smaller filters media. I'm realizing I probably could have used it's help! Anyways, The gravel is moved from the old tank as well as the decor (fake plants). So I am cycling again. :wacko:

I had to leave the house pretty fast tonight so I will get the water test results for tonight much later this evening.

I know all filters are different so is the media what is inside. Like the bag or sponge thing? I'd have to get that information later tonight as well.. Sorry guy heh it's finals week bare with me...

My tap water does not have any ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates. It is too soft I'm seeing because my kH (I only have a test for kH...) is too low. I'll need help fixing that...

Am I correct in that the ammonia and nitrites levels added together cannot get above 1 pmm? And that nitrates should not get above 20 pmm? I've never really cycled a tank before it's been pure luck that I still have my original fish and they didn't die!

For water changes I have been doing about a 60% water change. I do not use prime but I will here soon because I just got my christmas bonus! I do treat my water with tetra's stuff (I forgot the name..).

Be back later with the test results! Thanks for all the help and let me know if I forgot anything....

5/*63+887 - my kitten had something to say too apparently... :D

Oh no! thats too bad you threw out your media as then you would have had a new cycled tank.

Cycling with your fish in will take 8-12 weeks average time, maybe your old gravel will speed it up, lets hope so.

Yes, combined ammonia and nitrites should not exceed 1.0 before doing a large water change to bring those numbers down. I am glad you are getting prime as it not only puts ammonia into a detoxified form but also nitrites. One dose of Prime will detoxify up to 1.0 of ammonia and nitrites. The numbers will still reflect on your test using prime so you will know when to change the water by that combined reading of 1.0.

How long was your old tank setup in this location? Were you using this same water? What exactly is your KH? did you say? If you find your ph is starting at 7.2 (which is fine) and then dropping into the 6's then you will use a buffer. I do not personally know alot about buffers but Seachem makes another product called Gold Buffer that people use and will hold your ph for you.

What are your new filter brands/models/gph? Goldfish need 10x filtration so you need enough filters in your tank to do 200gph. It would be fine to add your old filter onto this tank too to get it to that number. A great product to put in your filters are small bags of bio-max which hold millions of beneficial bacteria. They are ceramic and are meant to stay in your filters for a very long time, like over a year or two before needing to be replaced. They will help keep your cycle steady and strong. They go in after the filter pad, before the water exits back to the tank.

Welcome to Koko's and many of us have come to this website under similar circumstances, knowing little or nothing about cycling a tank :)

Edited by cmclien

Ugh... so i haven't posted because I got food posioning... Still feeling gross but my poor fish are staying towards the bottom of the tank so I knew before testing that they'd need a water change... Ammonia was between .5 and 1 ppm. Nitrite was still at 0 pmm. Nitrate is at 10 pmm. So I'm going to start a 70% water change and test again..

My tap water's kH is at only three drops. My tank's though is at 4 drops... I have really soft water here. Any suggestions on a good buffer???

My pH does not change much from the tap to the tank water. Stays right around 7.2-7.3 luckily. Should I try and get it higher with a buffer as well?

As for my filter it is a Aqueon CA30. On the instruction manual it lists out all of the filter models (CA10-CA75) and then it says 120 volts 60 Hz. I don't know where to find the gph or how to figure that out... heh should I add my old filter?

Where can I find the bio-max bags!! That sounds helpful overall heh!

Thanks guys!

Edited by Mernany

Ugh... so i haven't posted because I got food posioning... Still feeling gross but my poor fish are staying towards the bottom of the tank so I knew before testing that they'd need a water change... Ammonia was between .5 and 1 ppm. Nitrite was still at 0 pmm. Nitrate is at 10 pmm. So I'm going to start a 70% water change and test again..

sorry to hear you have been sick!

My tap water's kH is at only three drops. My tank's though is at 4 drops... I have really soft water here. Any suggestions on a good buffer???If no one responds tonight you could start a new topic just on buffers but alot of people use Seachem Gold Buffer, it should hold your ph.

My pH does not change much from the tap to the tank water. Stays right around 7.2-7.3 luckily. Should I try and get it higher with a buffer as well?

No, your ph is fine. Its best to not mess with a ph that is stable as in trying to make it higher etc. Gold fish can be in a wide variety of ph fro 7.0-8.4 or so.

As for my filter it is a Aqueon CA30. On the instruction manual it lists out all of the filter models (CA10-CA75) and then it says 120 volts 60 Hz. I don't know where to find the gph or how to figure that out... heh should I add my old filter?

I looked this one up, it does 200gph so you're good, you don't need to add more if you don't want to.

Where can I find the bio-max bags!! That sounds helpful overall hehd

Bio-max can be bought at petsmart, petco etc., get the small bags, I think they say 30g on them. You might need to remove your blue holster that the cartridge sits in, in order to fit it. Here is a picture of my aqueon quiet flow setup.

Thanks guys!

Here is a picture of mine, I just have bonded filter pad in this particular filter, but you can see the bio-max right in front of it. You should be able to fit 2 small bags in that filter. 3 works, but gets tight so I would just do 2. The bio-max comes in the mesh bag you see here.

DSC01502.jpg

Edited by cmclien

Oh okay!! Thank you! I will start looking for those! I'll see if my local shop has them otherwise it's a 45 minute drive to the nearest petco... sigh living on an island sucks sometimes.. ;D

Oh okay!! Thank you! I will start looking for those! I'll see if my local shop has them otherwise it's a 45 minute drive to the nearest petco... sigh living on an island sucks sometimes.. ;D

I'm originally from Washington state, lived there most of my life, north of Seattle in Bothell if you are familiar with it. MISS the islands, thats neat you live on one. My family is still there. I miss the sound and the west coast though I like the mid-west.

Amazon carries all this stuff! the Seachem gold buffer, Seachem prime, bio-max (made by aqua clear btw).

Edited by cmclien

I'm originally from Washington state, lived there most of my life, north of Seattle in Bothell if you are familiar with it. MISS the islands, thats neat you live on one. My family is still there. I miss the sound and the west coast though I like the mid-west.

Amazon carries all this stuff! the Seachem gold buffer, Seachem prime, bio-max (made by aqua clear btw).

AH! How cool that you're from washington! I'm on Whidbey! I'm glad everything is on Amazon makes it easier on me! I hope to get it all ordered here soon but with the holidays....... yeahh... I need Prime first for sure but I'll get the others soon after (paycheck by paycheck. sigh.)