dnalex

Goldfish Life Expectancy & Other Interesting Observations

135 posts in this topic

Hi Koko, Thank you for your comments. I am hoping to keep my two goldfish for many years, I am only now coming to the realisation that a lot of what I thought about their longevity does not really apply to the fancies. I look at the beautiful fish people have on this site and assumed they were all able to keep their fish healthy until a great old age. I now see that only some goldfish will grow to be many years old. I am just readjusting my view so I will continue to keep goldfish and not go into a depression if I lose one.  :no:

I found that hard too..I was thinking that all my fancies were going to be able to live 10-15 years. Right now my oldest is about 5 years old and my previous oldest one died after I had her for over 7 years. Now I understand that expecting all my guys to live that long isn't realistic and enjoy them as much as I can and give them the best care that I can when I have them

Edited by FishyMandy

Hi Koko, Thank you for your comments. I am hoping to keep my two goldfish for many years, I am only now coming to the realisation that a lot of what I thought about their longevity does not really apply to the fancies. I look at the beautiful fish people have on this site and assumed they were all able to keep their fish healthy until a great old age. I now see that only some goldfish will grow to be many years old. I am just readjusting my view so I will continue to keep goldfish and not go into a depression if I lose one.  :no:

I found that hard too..I was thinking that all my fancies were going to be able to live 10-15 years. Right now my oldest is about 5 years old and my previous oldest one died after I had her for over 7 years. Now I understand that expecting all my guys to live that long isn't realistic and enjoy them as much as I can and give them the best care that I can when I have them

And some will break your heart... My beloved Pharoh was my Fav. I still having an Oil painting of him in the kitchen, he is missed but he also shows me that other fish out there need help and love.... Just do the best you can and your fish will love you back :)

And some will break your heart... My beloved Pharoh was my Fav. I still having an Oil painting of him in the kitchen, he is missed but he also shows me that other fish out there need help and love.... Just do the best you can and your fish will love you back :)

Yep...it still hurts thinking about Google and Cali. Some hit you hard no matter what

Beefcake is immortal. At least I hope so!

It is good to see I am not alone in caring deeply for my goldfish. I really needed this more realistic view of life expectancy and related hardiness. I think I have finally got the feeding right. I am following ArcticMama's advice and feeding two sometimes three tiny meals a day. It seems to be working the fish are active and seem healthy. Her explanation that goldfish are grazers, only taking in small amounts at a time really made sense to me.  :D  I am even considering getting one or two more fish, perhaps a butterfly tail moor?

I have been lucky with my goldfish so far. My sister and I won 8 Comet goldfish from a fair 9 years ago... they are still alive, but are now in her boyfriend's family's pond because they outgrew a tank quickly and needed a much larger home! :) They are still thriving in the pond.

Currently, I have 1 Oranda and 1 Fantail who are 3+ years old and they're still doing fantastic... I am much more attached to them than I ever was with my Comets, so I certainly hope my little guys get to live long lives!

Hi Avelon, I hope your fish have long healthy lives too. I think the Comet shape is better suited to a longer life; with their lovely streamlined bodies they are closer to the original goldfish body type. They are a beautiful fish, I wish we had the beautiful black marked varieties here in Australia. :)

I won a commet goldfish about 4 years ago. I believe I was only 9-10 so I didn't know what to do I put him in 1 one gallon tank and when I reasearched online I found the sad truth. I quickly bought a 10 gallon tank and all the needed supplies with my own money that I had earned. He grew to be about 4 inches in that tank at only 1 year old. I gave him to my neighbors with a pond he is still there!

I actually just saw him 2 days ago and he is 10 inches long and 4 years old and still very healthy I hope he lives alot longer.

I am sure he will Nova Betta, Comets have a lovely stream lined body. I am impressed you would spend your own money to make a good home for your fish. What name did you give your fish?  :D

I am sure he will Nova Betta, Comets have a lovely stream lined body. I am impressed you would spend your own money to make a good home for your fish. What name did you give your fish?  :D

thanks! We just call him Carnival.