Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
erictruong

Avoid your fish getting syphoned!

Here is just a little trick I use when I wait for my tank to drain and don't want my fish getting sucked into the syphon hose. Draining can take a while so I usually just leave it and come back in a bit but to make sure my fish are safe I put a fish net around the opening of the syphon to act as a barrier so the fish would not be sucked in. Another method I use for a smaller syphon hose are the magnetic algae scrapers. I use these to secure the hose in place (around the corner of the tank) and block off enough of the opening so the fish could not be harmed.

These are some images of what I mean:

The green net is hooked onto the opening of my canopy, I basically used the canopy feeding lid to clip onto the net handle so it would stay in place.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa252/RyosaykuX/DSC_0018.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa252/RyosaykuX/DSC_0020.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa252/RyosaykuX/DSC_0022.jpg

Hope that helped some people! Have a great day :P

Good tips ;)

One issue that I see with the netting (and using netting in general) is that if you have larger sized fish (fish whose body is as large as the siphon opening) the netting will not necessarily protect the fish because when a larger fish gets sucked in by the siphon, the danger is not that they will actually get sucked up into it, but that part of their body will get suctioned in and stuck to the siphon... I hope I am explaining this clearly. Imagine trying to suck up a ball slightly larger than your siphon.... netting in general (whether you leave it unattended or not) will not protect against injury in this case because it is soft and pliable and will still allow the fish's body to get suctioned by the siphon and potentially injure them.

Just wanted to throw that out there for folks with larger fish ;)

It's a good tip, and a good precaution for sure I used an elastic on mine with just netting, but it was the same idea before I got a 'fish saver claw'

@ Artsy - I just searched it up haha I might actually buy one of those it seems useful and I don't have to keep clipping my net haha It seems like youre from Ontario as well?

@ Artsy - I just searched it up haha I might actually buy one of those it seems useful and I don't have to keep clipping my net haha It seems like youre from Ontario as well?

Go for it :) I find it wonderful, Bentley likes to investigate things, and he's come to try and bite the claw, I'm glad I have it, I dont know what I'd do if he got hurt because of me! Why yes I am :) I'm just outside of the Toronto area!

@ Artsy - haha as am i! So youre done school doing illustration and graphics now?

Yes! :) I graduated from Conestoga College 2011 :) I feel like I'm hijacking the post, so why dont you PM me if you still want to chat!

My dad sucked out my Pearly's eye while doing a WC when I was little :( My Albino Corycat (in the goldie tank, Woodsucker was friendly and didn't nip! :rofl ) also got sucked out. Ah well, Rest in Peace Woodsucker and Pearly. T.T

I also have the claw and LOVE it :)

You can also use a divider if you intend on walking away from it. I did this when my mesh went missing. Just make sure the divider is in place properly!

You can also use a divider if you intend on walking away from it. I did this when my mesh went missing. Just make sure the divider is in place properly!

Good call....all the tips have been taken on board. ;)

At the grocery store, they sell packs of 4-5 garlic bulbs in this plastic net sleeve. When you cut one end off, it fits perfectly over the siphon and stays securely. The holes are big enough that you can still vacuum the gravel with it on, but no fish (unless they're little fish like neons) can get through.

I like the mesh bags that hold avocados!!! I cut them into just the right size & store them for my use. When cleaning I put one on the end with a strong rubber band. Then toss it! Free & plentiful!!

Edited by Jeana727

I just cut apart an old fish net and use that! It's important to cover your siphons, especially with curious fish like goldies.

I use a fluro light diffuser. (Egg crate style)

Ive cut it to size of tank and use it as a tank divider.

In smaller tanks where a divider cant be used I have a piece of course foam I put on the end of the syphon hose and hold in place with a rubber band. (Still sucks the poop into the foam, just rinse after use).

In my big tanks I use a 12V boat bilge pump ir sits flat on the bottom of the tank (bare bottom) and once its turned on the vibration/noise? Keeps the fish away anyway.

Only takes a min or two to do a large wc on my big tanks..

And theyre avail in many diff sizes. I use a 1000gph one. They had smaller and bigger volume pumps avail and quite cheap too.