Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
great_kahn

GK's 180L planted fancy goldfish tank

Evening all. Im using Uk date format day/month/year :)

Posted briefly in newbie section, but thought I would go a bit more in depth on the plants etc. Tank has been filled and started fishlessly cycling with pure ammonia since 10/09/12, plants went in on 17/09/12. I bought a 50 pack of random coldwater plants from ebay. Decided to plant them in bowls and glasses from ikea to make cleaning easier. Im using 2mm black quartz gravel, but its more of a greyish brown black tbh. Plants had a couple of months on there own until the fish arrived on 14/11/12. I have one baby Oranda and one smallish Ranchu.

Gravel - 2mm quartz

Co2 system- None

Temp- 23 deg c

Root tabs for fertiliser in each container

Lights are Juwel T5's

Plant species (I think)

Back left bowl - Elodea and Egeria densa

Front left bowl- Two types of crypt

Front right bowl- Crypt Balansae and a mystery Hygrophila

Back right bowl- Bacopa Monniera and Hygrophila difformis

Three glasses at back- Straight and twisted vallis

Here is tank when plants went in. Taken 19/09/12

2012-09-19%2022.04.21_zps4cf015e1.jpg

Taken- 10/11/12 still no fish

Elodea and Egeria densa kept going brown and losing leaves, no idea why. So threw them away and replaced with baby vallis, all other plants growing well, Bacopa Monniera crowded out by diformis.

2012-11-10222938.jpg

Taken today - 11/12/12 - Fish been in almost a month

Everything is growing well, except the crypts which pretty much stay the same. Goldfish don't seem to eat the plants unless its there weekly starve day, then they go for small vallis and difformis. They also pulled a small vallis up, the vandals lol. The diformis seems to sprout roots halway up its stem every now and then so i chop it there and replant, given the bacopa a chance to get some light. Long term I will probably lose the bowls etc as they will get in the way of large goldies.

20121211_180636.jpg

Edited by great_kahn

your tank is absolutely beautiful...... :clapping: I think the goldies appreciate it too...................

:D;)

That is very nice! I love it. I really liked the two plants that didn't make it, they were cool looking. I like the twisted vallis alot too. I like your idea of planting them in containers. That is my one issue with having plants other then the rhizome kind that I can glue on rocks is cleaning around them would be tough, and of course re-arranging would be tough too. I think this turned out just beautifully how you did it. It gives me ideas for future plants the way you have done this here :)

Just out of curiosity what do you have your airstone in?

Edited by cmclien

Beautiful! I plan on adding more plants to my tank as well, I love planted tanks. :heart

WOWSERS Nice growth :thumb:

Planted tanks are awesome :P I will be adding some hardy plants to my goldfish tank soon, as soon as i get more money LOL

Planted tanks are awesome :P I will be adding some hardy plants to my goldfish tank soon, as soon as i get more money LOL

All those cost about 20 us dollars inc shipping, bargain :)

When I used to keep silver dollars those things would go through pretty much anything green, veggie piranahs. All except amazon sword, too tough and too fast growing.

That is very nice! I love it. I really liked the two plants that didn't make it, they were cool looking. I like the twisted vallis alot too. I like your idea of planting them in containers. That is my one issue with having plants other then the rhizome kind that I can glue on rocks is cleaning around them would be tough, and of course re-arranging would be tough too. I think this turned out just beautifully how you did it. It gives me ideas for future plants the way you have done this here :)

Just out of curiosity what do you have your airstone in?

Ye not sure what was wrong with the "pond weed" ones that went brown, thinking it may be too warm as my tank it temperate rather than cold, or there could have been a lack of co2 due to having no fish in there or other type or co2 adding system, had to throw away though as they were making a real mess.

The airstone is inside a glazed ceramic garden ornament that i drilled some holes into. I soaked it for a week or so and tested it to make sure it wasnt doing wierd things to the PH etc.

Forgot to say, tanks get 4 hours light, then two hours break, then another 5 hours. Zero sunlight.

Forgot to say, tanks get 4 hours light, then two hours break, then another 5 hours. Zero sunlight.

Is that ball in the middle an airstone? SO cool! :D

You have a beautiful set up, and your fish are gorgeous! :)

That is very nice looking, thanks for sharing!

very nice :)

Out of curiosity, what kind of substrate are you using?

very nice :)

Out of curiosity, what kind of substrate are you using?

Its 2mm quartz gravel. Was tough deciding what to use, dorset pea gravel, sand, no subsrate etc. But this seems to work, doesnt effect ph, the goldies like rooting through it, and its too small to get stuck in there mouths and too big to irritate gills.

Was quite expensive though, think 20kg bag cost approx 50 us dollars.

Great idea with the bowls.

Beautiful :) thanks for sharing :)

Was your gravel an aquarium product or was it from the garden store? I really like the color - a soft black. Does it have a name?

Unipac aquagravel 2-3mm. I was expecting it to be more black tbh, there are alot of natural stones in there, so its more of a black/brown colour. I like it though, and its nice and small for the fish to snuffle through. And it doesnt effect PH etc, and there was no nasty films when i washed it.

Nice work!! Plants are great for fish. :)

I'm curious why you have them in pots.

Looking great! I may have to break down and buy the small pots I have looking at to plant into. My wrecking crew is doing a number on my plants.

Unipac aquagravel 2-3mm. I was expecting it to be more black tbh, there are alot of natural stones in there, so its more of a black/brown colour. I like it though, and its nice and small for the fish to snuffle through. And it doesnt effect PH etc, and there was no nasty films when i washed it.

Thanks for the info. I'm off to search it out:)

Off to a great start. Would love to see more pictures.