Sign in to follow this  
larryngu

Larry's Cycling Thread

77 posts in this topic

What should I do in this circumstance?

I'm trying to cycle my tank with Safe Start. I've had the Safe Start in my tank for 24 hours.

I want to go buy a Gh and Kh test kit.

Called all around and NO ONE in Las Vegas will have a test kit till next Thursday.

A lfs told me that Las Vegas water is 40 grains . (300ppm GH and 120ppm KH)

How should I remedy the problem?

Edited by larryngu

I forgot to mention that my tank has been cycling for 6 days total. This is my forty gallon fishless cycle.

Why is this a problem? Those levels sound fine to me. Is this for a goldfish tank?

Yeah for goldfish.

I heard ideal level should be 100 kh and gh

My question is will the BB"s be able to colonize and grow with 300 gh and 120 kh?

Why is this a problem? Those levels sound fine to me. Is this for a goldfish tank?

Edited by larryngu

My water parameters are similar to yours. The BBs will grow with no problem. In fact, you are lucky to have a high KH, it will keep your pH stable. :)

Ok thanks.

Ok thanks.

Our water has been at these kh and gh parameter for years. Do I still need a gh and kh test kit?

Edited by larryngu

It doesn't hurt to have one. Recently I had an issue where the KH in my tap dropped. I had done a large water change, and several days later the pH in my tank crashed, drastically. It took me a while to figure out what had caused the problem.

Yeah for goldfish.

I heard ideal level should be 100 kh and gh

:rofl

Yes ideally the kh and gh should be at least 100 ppm. There is no indication that there is such a thing as too high, in terms of goldfish health.

Glad someone asked this Question as I also dont have a KH/GH test kit.. But have ordered one.. I also would like to know please what is the ideal KH/GH levels using an API KH/GH kit? Thanks . I`ll post up my KH/GH when I know them

Glad someone asked this Question as I also dont have a KH/GH test kit.. But have ordered one.. I also would like to know please what is the ideal KH/GH levels using an API KH/GH kit? Thanks . I`ll post up my KH/GH when I know them

kh/gh should be at least 100ppm (or above) :)

Larry, I am wondering if any of your taps are softened though with water that hard (gh). I agree, a kit would be good either way.

Larry, I am wondering if any of your taps are softened though with water that hard (gh). I agree, a kit would be good either way.

We don't a water softener.

I drink bottle water.

Larry, what have you been doing to cycle your tank? Were you adding ammonia? Did you add Safestart?

My tank has been cycling since 12-3-12.

From the very beginning I added 3 ppm of ammonia.

I added safe start five days ago.

My reading after nine days are 3 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates.

Nothing worked.

You are adding too much ammonia. Try to maintain it at only 1.0 ppm ammonia.

Really why just one?

Should I do a water change to get ammonia level to 1 ppm and add MORE safe start and try again?

Yes.

1ppm because when you are trying to by-pass the natural cycling and are adding supplements, too much ammonia will actually inhibit the reproduction of the bacteria that convert nitrite to nitrate.

We also tell people to lower ammonia down to 1ppm when nitrites start to show when they don't use supplements.

My tank has been up since 12-3-12.

From 12-3-12 I've added 3 ppm of ammonia to my tank.

On 12-5- 12 I added Safe start and tried to cycle.

The Safe Start didn't work.

Alex said that I was adding too much ammonia for safe start.

Tomorrow my Safe Start will arrive in the mail.

I will reduce the ammonia to 1 ppm.

My safe start can treat up to 75 gallons. My tank is 40 gallon. Should I just add the whole bottle to my tank?

Larry, please keep to one thread. Making multiple cycling threads only serves to confuse us all. All the info is better served being in one place. I really would like not to have chase down info in multiple threads.

Does your safe start works only after one dosage? Since the ones I saw you would have to dose each day for three days-week sometimes for it to work.

Forget the safe start imho. I've read its better to allow your bacteria in a fishless cycle to build up naturally. If you can get seed material (Gravel or filter balls) from a mature tank that is all the better. I cycled mine using 5ppm ammonia. To get to the point where the filter and bacteria could reduce 5ppm of ammonia to 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite took about 2 months. However, if you have seed material and have tank temp up towards 30 deg C it should go alot faster.

You need to make sure that you don't add the safestart close to dechlorinating your water. Wait 24 hrs after any waterchange.

You'll need to keep your ammonia and nitrite below 2 ppm in order for the product to work.

http://answers.tetra-fish.com/answers/0596-en_us/product/4224/tetra-safestart-questions-answers/questions.htm

I read through that and that's what I gleaned.