Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
erictruong

Fish Stunted?

I have had my ranchu for about a year now and I have seen no growth what so ever. This might be due to the food that I use to feed my fish but I started introducing Hikari Lionhead sinking pellets and I was wondering if my fish has any chance of growing larger? Or has my fish already been stunted and there is no opportunity for growth?

if you can tell us about it's history where it concerns what you've provided for it.. ie, tank size, feeding habits, water maintenance.. all these as well as illness play a huge role in the growth rate of a goldfish..

ranchus can be very slow growing fish. have you measured by length and by weight? sometimes the beginning of growth is all in the belly and height rather than length..

side on pics would be good too.. we can sometimes tell by the size of the fish's eye to the size of the body should there be any stunting.

When I first had the ranchu, he was kept in a 20 Gallon Tank and was then moved into the 75 gallon main tank. I usually only feed about once or twice a day and I do a 50% water change every 5 days. And about a month ago my ranchu showed red streaks but that was taken care of after a large water change.

How many fish in the main tank?

I got our original three fish at Petsmart. Two have gotten large, and one has barely changed. She's either stunted or just small -- I don't think it matters which. Although she has hardly grown, she did chunk up this year. But we've had her for 19 months, so I'm expecting a growth spurt at this point.

@shakaho - I have 5 fancy goldfish in my 75 gallon main tank :S Should I be feeding more often?

Only if you give much less food per feeding.

@shakaho - I have 5 fancy goldfish in my 75 gallon main tank :S Should I be feeding more often?

What are you nitrates in this tank? How much and how often are you changing the water?

@ koko - I just did a 50% water change a few hours ago so the nitrates dropped but I typically do a 50% water change every 5 days.

And do you know how high your nitrates get between water changes?

Yes, my nitrates have never gone over 5 for any of my tanks. I'm using the API test kit

the only thing I can say then is do 2 water changes a week... Also feed more of a higher protein food for them, and also maybe more room, later on :)

I'm waiting on my Hikari SAKI to come D: and I would love to upgrade to a larger tank but that just means I will be buying more goldfish to put in it LOL!

Honestly I don't know where genetics end and stunting begins.

Poor food quality or underfeeding means you don't get fish growing to their potential. The same goes with water quality. Poor nutrition and housing issues cause the same lack of growth with any other animal you are trying to get growth potential out of.

With fish that normally spawn in the thousands like goldfish do, there is a wide range of growth rates. You have some fish that grow fast and then peter off, some that have a steady growth rate, some that seem to not grow until an older age and everything in between.

It could be a combo of natural growth rates and environmental influences that are preventing the potential from being reached.