Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
StarSapphire22

Possible new fish?

Here's some pictures. :) A video is uploading as well, but that will be a little while. He is a very handsome boy. :wub: He's bottom sitting in most of the photos, but he was a little freaked about the light I think (I only turned it on for pics). He swims for five minutes, then bottom sits for one or two minutes, then swims some more. I think he's doing ok. :) QT tank has water with double prazi and .1% salt right now. Right now there are a few things concerning me.

1) He lost a scale during shipping. This is the least of my concerns. The scale was in the bag, he probably just got jostled at some point and lost it, but figured I would mention it.

2) There are some red veins in his tail. I'm hoping this will clear up with some nice clean water.

3) There is a rip in his left gill with a couple small bloody pinpricks. Not on the actual outer plate, but that little transparent flappy bit under it (yeah, I'm technical!). At first I thought maybe it was just an injury incurred in shipping or something. But watching him swim, it looks like that particular fin just grew a smidge too far forward...it runs into his gill flap thingy. Hopefully you guys can see it in the pictures and see the movement in the video when I post it. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

Without further ado, meet Clap Trap (aka CL4P-TP)!

100_0907_zps36a306f0.jpg

100_0911_zps76e139c4.jpg

100_0906_zpse1dc5116.jpg

100_0902_zps4f9847c7.jpg

100_0900_zps138cb271.jpg

100_0899_zps32880726.jpg

100_0898_zps577b5b2a.jpg

SlackTack is very pretty!

Happy QT'ing! :)

I can't really tell.

It's in pictures 3 and 4. His fin goes up and rams into his gill plate when he swims, and it ripped the flappy bit. It's a little bloody and torn up. He's in salt and everything, so hopefully it won't get infected or anything, but I don't know how much it will help him heal if he keeps swimming....he doesn't seem to be in pain though. :idont

OK. I see it, now that you've made me go back on my computer :rofl

In instances like this, when you've just gotten the fish from a conscionable seller, my advice always is to snap pics or a video (which you did), and communicate this directly with the seller. This way, they get feed back. I would also like to follow their suggestions first, as I don't want to "void the warranty," so to speak. :)

VIDEO TIME! :)

He's a little freaked out by the lights, so he's not super active in this vid. :idont

Edited by dnalex
Fixed Video Embedding

Aw. What a pretty fish. I hope he perks up soon, and may you have an uneventful QT. :)

OOOOOOoooooooooooooooo!!! Clap Trap is very handsome! :wub::Congrats:

Thanks Becs! He is my dream fishy, I :heart him! I have wanted a yellow for soooooooo bad for so long! :)

Steve emailed back about everything but the gill issue, but did include a general "I hope he does ok." :idont

Awesome looking fish :). He looks even better than in the sales pic. No offense, but you guys remind me of why I outsourced my live stuff :).

How big is he? He looks really big! :)

Sorry I just read the other page! He really is HUGE!!!!!!

Edited by U.K. Becs

Thanks Becs! He is my dream fishy, I :heart him! I have wanted a yellow for soooooooo bad for so long! :)

Steve emailed back about everything but the gill issue, but did include a general "I hope he does ok." :idont

Don't sweat it. You probably paid a lot for the fish and you inspected it really closely (as you should) and you're seeing some of its flaws. As he becomes more active and integrates into the community, you won't notice anymore :). If god forbid he dies, you've always got the warranty.

Awesome looking fish :). He looks even better than in the sales pic.

Thanks! I think so too. :) I can't wait until he can go into the main tank.

No offense, but you guys remind me of why I outsourced my live stuff :).

Huh? :hmm

How big is he? He looks really big! :)

Sorry I just read the other page! He really is HUGE!!!!!!

UHHUH! I'm a little scared for Edi, when he gets to be with his friends. He's grown an inch since Steve posted him in September....I wonder how big he's going to get. :yikes

Don't sweat it. You probably paid a lot for the fish and you inspected it really closely (as you should) and you're seeing some of its flaws. As he becomes more active and integrates into the community, you won't notice anymore :). If god forbid he dies, you've always got the warranty.

I'm just worried the tear is causing him pain and won't heal since he keeps swimming into it. If it doesn't heal, then he could be more prone to infections and stuff. :no:

Email back from Steve: "The tear will heal but there sure is a lot of red streaking all over the fish. I hope some of that is going away by now." (It is. There's still a bit in his tail, but not as bad as last night. It should hopefully be gone in the next day or two, at the rate it's going. I think he just needed some fresh, clean water. I told him this and told him I would keep him posted if anything worsens.)

Jesssssss!!!!!! He is gorgeous!!! My next fish needs to be a ribbon tail, just not sure what color.

Congrats and I hope the gill thing turns out OK.. :D

He is gorgeous! Congrats! I think that the red streaking will go away with clean water, it is probably stress induced. As for the tear, I'm sure it will heal on it's own. You'll do a great job :)

From what I understand red streaking is from a lack of oxygen. Should go away as he acclimated. It's the same thing that happens to human eyes if you wear contacts too long the blood vessels move to the surface to increase flow.

Sure one of our resident eye docs will correct me on this but that's what mine said. :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Chris, have you been overwearing your contacts?! :wa

:rofl

Chris, have you been overwearing your contacts?!

###### I got caught lol

Jesssssss!!!!!! He is gorgeous!!! My next fish needs to be a ribbon tail, just not sure what color.

Thank you!!!! I can't get over his color. :wub: I didn't even buy him for the ribbontail part, I've just always really wanted a yellow fancy! I LOVE long flowy tails though, and I really like the angle of his tail tuck (that's a weird thing to like about a fish but oh well! :idont)...he carries his tail well. It's funny, when he goes to bottom sit, he wiggles his butt to spread his tail out nicely, like a lady spreading her skirts when she sits. :rofl 2 of his brothers are still left at RG, Lisa... :ehh You might want to ask Steve for a current measurement on them though! :rofl

He is gorgeous! Congrats! I think that the red streaking will go away with clean water, it is probably stress induced. As for the tear, I'm sure it will heal on it's own. You'll do a great job :)

Thank you! I think you're right...I think it's a mix of stress, plus the extra time in the bag due to our car troubles affecting the water quality and oxygen levels like Chris said. He was getting pretty gaspy in the bag by the time he got out and had very little gill movement. I was actually a little scared he wouldn't make it before the qt was set up. He's getting more active now, and those streaks are going away, and breathing looks normal. He's still opening and shutting his mouth quite a bit though. :idont

Thank you!!!! I can't get over his color. :wub: I didn't even buy him for the ribbontail part, I've just always really wanted a yellow fancy! I LOVE long flowy tails though, and I really like the angle of his tail tuck (that's a weird thing to like about a fish but oh well! :idont)...he carries his tail well. It's funny, when he goes to bottom sit, he wiggles his butt to spread his tail out nicely, like a lady spreading her skirts when she sits. :rofl 2 of his brothers are still left at RG, Lisa... :ehh You might want to ask Steve for a current measurement on them though! :rofl

Thank you! I think you're right...I think it's a mix of stress, plus the extra time in the bag due to our car troubles affecting the water quality and oxygen levels like Chris said. He was getting pretty gaspy in the bag by the time he got out and had very little gill movement. I was actually a little scared he wouldn't make it before the qt was set up. He's getting more active now, and those streaks are going away, and breathing looks normal. He's still opening and shutting his mouth quite a bit though. :idont

Don't stress out too much! he endured 3 days in a shipping container. Eden was the same way when she arrived from RG (missing scales and all) He should perk up in no time. Should something go wrong, there is Kokos for support :D Just remember to keep the tank dark, and even putting a towel over it will help him destress :)

I just don't have room. I wanted the one Larry got from RG, the red and white with one red and one white pectoral fin. :heart

Chris, have you been overwearing your contacts?!

###### I got caught lol

Naughty, naughty!! Don't make me crawl through the computer and take away your contacts! :rofl