Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
StarSapphire22

Possible new fish?

So...Taylor's grandparents sent our Christmas money early and I might be getting an RG fish. :clapping: My main tank is in a prazi course right now (we're starting round 3 today)...so I'm just wondering what your guys' opinions are on adding the new guy? I emailed Steve and this is what we said:

Hi Steve!

Just checking on ribbontail 8883, one of your yellows. Just want to confirm that he is male and if there's anything else you can tell me about him.
:)
I really like him (a yellow fancy has been my dream fish since I first started with goldies!) and will hopefully be able to place an order for him in the next day or two...but I'm just wondering if maybe I should hold off on having you ship him? My tank is currently starting round 3 of a prazipro treatment (more preventative than anything...a newer calico I have in qt for an injury MAY have also had flukes, but we weren't positive so we're prazi-ing everyone just in case), I don't know if it would be too stressful to add him in with the medication in the tank. Or do you think he'd be ok?

Thanks!
:)

Jessica

Hi Jessica,

He is male, about eighteen months old.

We can put fish on hold for several weeks when paid for. Putting him in a tank with prazi will not hurt. The important thing is to quarantine new fish, feed sparingly and do large and frequent water changes for the first few weeks.

Thank you very much.

-steve

Also...do you think I'll really need to qt, since everyone is being prazi-ed and steve's fish are inspected and healthy usually? I'd like to avoid more qt if possible.

Yes, you do need to QT...Even Steve will suggest that you do that.

[sniped by Alex!]

When I got my DO fish recently, Alex gave me some advice when it comes to QT in this thread here:

http://www.kokosgold...ntine-question/

I found the first few posts might be able to answer your question.

Edited by GoldenSpoiledRotten

Agreed, it's never a good idea to skip QT, no matter where the fish are coming from. Better safe than sorry! :)

I guess I just don't understand why. I know we're supposed to and everyone recommends it, but I've never done it with any of my new fish and nothing has happened. *knock on wood* If I qt they'll just get water from my main tank for waterchanges since my tap ph is weird lately, so any diseases or whatever that my fish may have will get transmitted to the new guy anyways. Prazi should prevent the majority of flukes/parasites, etc. and Steve's fish are always so healthy. Edi would need to be out of qt then before the new guy comes.

How long should I qt for? And is there anything I should be treating with? The water used for his changes will already be prazi-ed since it's coming from the main tank. Does he need salt?

I don't think you should get a ribbontail before me. :madrant

:rofl

What size is your tank? :idont

Nothing ever happened, because you've been lucky. I can tell you this. Everyone who has skipped QT, including me, has paid the price at one point. Sometimes, it's not even the new fish that ends up dead. Remember that all fish carry with them a sample of their environment, and some of this sampling may be pathogens that they've built immunity to, while the fish that you already have may not. So, when you add the fish to the tank without QT, you run the risk of harming not just your new fish, but the others as well. Having said that, sometimes it takes dealing a catastrophe to be convinced. So, it's up to you, and I wish you luck.

If you are getting RG fish, you have two options for QT. Either follow the procedure Steve outlined, or follow ours. If our QT procedure is not clear, I'll write something up and pin it later.

It isn't as much the what will happen, as the what could happen. (Basically, it's why you said "*knock on wood.*") Nobody wants to risk their fish, or feel the guilt of not quarantining only to find something happened.

As for the Prazi, in the thread with Alex he told me this:

Prazi only takes care of a limited set of parasites, namely flatworms, which are cestodes, trematodes, and monegeneans (flukes). For other parasites, praziquantel does nothing. That's why we recommend that for the QT, there should be AT LEAST two weeks where the fish are in 0.3% salt. Ideally, it should be 4 weeks.

So treating things like bacterial issues that might crop up during shipping or even ich that pops up for the same reason aren't treatable with Prazi. I was shocked, really.

Always QT! :D It's just not worth the risk. What's a few weeks in a separate tank? ;)

Nothing ever happened, because you've been lucky. I can tell you this. Everyone who has skipped QT, including me, has paid the price at one point. Sometimes, it's not even the new fish that ends up dead. Remember that all fish carry with them a sample of their environment, and some of this sampling may be pathogens that they've built immunity to, while the fish that you already have may not. So, when you add the fish to the tank without QT, you run the risk of harming not just your new fish, but the others as well. Having said that, sometimes it takes dealing a catastrophe to be convinced. So, it's up to you, and I wish you luck.

I skipped it once and will NEVER skip it again. It was in my pre-Koko's days. My new fish ended up having chilodonella (a parasite) and while the new fish seemed fine, it really really adversely affected my fantail. He was never the same, even after 8 months of intensive treatment. Don't skip it. Please.

When you put it that way, it makes much more sense Alex. Sometimes things just don't click for me and I need it laid out, lol. :lol Thanks. :hug

I don't think you should get a ribbontail before me. :madrant

:rofl

What size is your tank? :idont

I don't even want it because it's a ribbontail, I just want a yellow REALLY bad. :rofl I have a 75 gallon. :)

I think I need a new car and a new fish tank. :fishtank:

AND since the car will be so big, I can fit a HUGE tank in it!! :rofl

Edited by fantailfan1

Alex, I tried searching for stuff, but I didn't really find what I was looking for. If you can just tell me how much prazi/salt he needs, I can qt for a couple weeks with lots of waterchanges. :)

A proper QT is for at least 4 weeks, because I don't know how else to do one that lasts shorter. :(

That's a gorgeous fish! Definitely QT! :)

Edit: 2Jess, if I understand you correctly, then the only things you need to do for QT are:

1. Lots of water changes

2. Salt to 0.3% for at least 2 weeks

3. Prazi for 4-6 rounds.

Should I add prazi to the already prazi-ed water from the tank? If I remember correctly, doesn't salt affect prazi somehow?

Why will you have already Prazi'd water? I'm confused.

My main tank is being prazi-ed and the water for the qt tanks has to come from there because my tap's ph has been acting up the last couple weeks. So the water will already have prazi in it. Just like for Edi.

When are you going to be done treating the tank? Is it possible to wait, or coordinate the treatment somehow?

They're starting their third week of prazi today. I did rounds of 7 days. Whether or not I can coordinate would depend on if I can get Edi out of qt soon. I need that space open before I can get the new one.

You are done with Edi, I think. Didn't we just need a confirming video? :o

Yep, it's uploading now...for the third time (hopefully it's the charm this time!). :o Youtube hates me. :rofl