Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LovelyChaos

Repairing and resealing aquariums?

So, before I move I will be selling most of my tanks. I am keeping my 70, 36, 5 and 2.5's and selling my 2 10's, 20L, and 55. I had bought one of the 10's and the 55 damaged (before I knew what questions to ask). The 55 has a crack in the corner that doesn't leak, and the center brace is missing. The previous owner used it as a terrarium and I assumed they removed the brace themselves for that reason. The 10 has a chip in the corner, about 2 inches up, and has a leak.

My question is, how do I go about repairing both so they can be used for aquariums (long term)? I am using the 55 right now, so that one will be repaired and sold at the last second. After both are repaired, what would be a fair price for them? I am using Fang's technique of getting a flat long metal bar and fitting it over the center, so when the tank expands it will brace itself on the metal bar and fit without slipping.

I have never resealed an aquarium before. Do I need to remove the original silicone if the tank is not leaking? What about for the chip in the 10? For the 55 I would charge 50 dollars after the repairs are made. Don't really know what to charge for the 10. I might just give it away if someone wants it without the repairs.

I once took off a top frame (that had a broken center brace). I removed all the old silicone around the top, ordered a new topframe, siliconed it into place and now it's great. But let me tell you, it was a pain of a job to do. I had two people and myself working on it and it took maybe 3 hours?

I would say to just sell it as it is. Let them know not to use it for fish, just with snakes or some other critter. You are going to put a lot of work into it. But if you want a challange, go for it!

And yes, you have to remove the old silicone from the areas you plan to resilicone.

I was just watching this one now, if you just want to reseal. :)

Wow! That seems hard. I might just sell as terrariums then o_0 I'd love to learn to reseal though. Thank you!

If you are selling, it is totally not worth the work LOL

I would only reseal if it was for my own tank

It is a handy thing to have. I think I might practice on the wacky 10 so I can learn to do it. Maybe I will get lucky in San Diego and find a tank that needs resealing and get it for free :rofl

It would be neat to practise it on there because, like you said, it is a really good thing to know how to do haha

I got a cheap tank on craigslist when I first started keeping fish... it ended up having a leak in one corner. I watched some videos on how to reseal and thought 'this will be a fun easy project'....... never again will I attempt to reseal a tank :P It is certainly possible, but it is a serious pain. It took me so long to do that I would have rather paid an extra 50 dollars to get a new one with seals that look good (not that messy looking seals matter in the end as long as it holds water). Anyway, I don't want to say don't do it by any means, just make sure you have a good amount of patience and free time :P

Hubby & I (mostly hubby) resealed my 29 quite awhile back....it was a bit of a job but it has worked perfectly ever since. Like others have said worth it IF you are keeping it for yourself otherwise just sell it to a reptile person. They'll be glad to have it!

I've resealed a cheap 6 gallon tank I got from a charity shop, and I think the hardest part was taking the old silicone off! Took forever! I ended up resealing it well enough for use but it looked terrible and was silicone smudges everywhere. I ended up just getting rid of the tank and I never used it :P

It is really tough but like it was said it's a great skill to learn, plus if you get good at it people will pay you a lot to do it for them :lol

I resealed my shower base and that was bad enough! I could at least get right in, had loads of space, could get close up for touching up and yet it still took forever. It looks 'ok' but not fantastic, you can tell it's been redone. I imagine a tank would be way harder to do, and totally not worth the cost of material and effort to just sell it for a few notes.

Yeah, taking old silicon off is HARD work :yikes

I resealed my shower base and that was bad enough! I could at least get right in, had loads of space, could get close up for touching up and yet it still took forever. It looks 'ok' but not fantastic, you can tell it's been redone. I imagine a tank would be way harder to do, and totally not worth the cost of material and effort to just sell it for a few notes.

Yeah, taking old silicon off is HARD work :yikes

Looks so easy in the video! Lol!

It's a skill one can learn, but will never want to use again.

Been there, done that and will never go there again! The tank ended up looking like crap and I ended up looking like tar baby.

I regularly do caulking jobs for my friends and family for their bathrooms so resealing looks like it'd be more or less the same. I'm going to reseal my 55 gallon since the previous owner resealed it in black and it looks a bit ratty.

:rofl3

Been there, done that and will never go there again! The tank ended up looking like crap and I ended up looking like tar baby.

You always know just what to say! :tomuch:!!!

You are the best smegypsiren, you make me do real "lol" all the time.

Hug for you!

:rofl No resealing then. Maybe if I find someone giving away a large tank that needs repairs ill give it a shot

:hug Right back at ya babe!

You are the best smegypsiren, you make me do real "lol" all the time.

Hug for you!

No resealing then. Maybe if I find someone giving away a large tank that needs repairs ill give it a shot

LovelyChaos,

No backing out now! This thread has built up too much for you to back out now. We all want to hear about your success in resealing an aquarium and all your complaints on how much of a pain it was to do so. :D

I think you should start with that 55 gallon. ;)

Report back when it's finished ok?

:D :D :D :D

Edited by Acro

No resealing then. Maybe if I find someone giving away a large tank that needs repairs ill give it a shot

LovelyChaos,

No backing out now! This thread has built up too much for you to back out now. We all want to hear about your success in resealing an aquarium and all your complaints on how much of a pain it was to do so. :D

:rofl I will probably start with the 10 then, definitely not the 55. The 55 only has a corner crack that doesn't leak.

LovelyChaos,

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Your gonna need a few of these

LovelyChaos,

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Your gonna need a few of these

Hah!! I can't really get those :rofl