Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ahardeay

Eggs!

My ryukin Hoover and my Lionchu Nugget spawned today! In the past the eggs have never been fertile but I saw him milt this time! LOL anyway if I see eyeballs later today I will let you guys know. Send baby fish vibes! It would be a fun winter break to raise some babies. They will probably look like fantails if they make it, I'm not sure how a ryuchu would look otherwise.

Congrats! I wanna see some little babies!

Baby fish vibes . . . baby fish vibes . . . baby fish vibes . . . .

Good luck! :heart

How exciting! :heart

Good luck, and have fun with them! :)

More baby fish vibes being sent your way.

Congrats.

How exciting! Sending lots of good baby fishy vibes your way!!! :) Too bad I can't keep my current batch or we would of had twins! Would love to see pics!

Pics, or it didn't happen!! :D

Good luck with the new babies! :heart

Congratulations!! The eyes might take a couple days to be visible, so do not lose hope!

And yes, they are mostly going to be fantail type fish. Did you remove the eggs into a save container? Make sure the water level is 6" max during the first few weeks, as this will help these tiny fish a lot! Temperature at around 74-76F, and maybe get started on a baby brine shrimp hatchery, if you can! :)

You also better be posting photo progress so you can claim your breeder badge! :D

I will post pics as soon as I know I for sure have babies! :) I hope I do!

Well I set up my 5 gal QT tank with a sponge filter from the parent tank, a heater set to 74 fahrenheit and half parent tank water half treated tap water. It is only filled up to about 4" for now. I am going to go get the blue stuff that prevents fungus in an hour, it's a good idea to use it right?

I think you don't need a sponge filter yet. Too much agitation for such tiny little guys once they are hatched.

Should I just have still water then? or just an airstone?

Still water should be ok. I tried an airstone when my fry were 3 days old but it seemed to create too much current and they flew around a bit so I took it out almost immediately. I did add a sponge filter when the fry were a little over a week old with the air flow turned down quite a bit. They seemed to do ok with this.

I can't comment on methylene blue as I didn't use it - perhaps someone more experienced could chime in on that.

They do poop a LOT though once they start eating, which begins 48-72 hrs after hatching, so I ended up changing water twice daily at about 50% (used a 5 gal bucket, you can get one cheap at home depot, with a heater in it to make the new water the same temp). If you can find a long plastic pipette or turkey baster that helps to remove waste from the bottom as well.

Edited by Fishlet

Thanks! How long did it take you to see eyes in the eggs, so far the 19 I collected all look clear, no solid yellow or white eggs.

You might start seeing eyes later tonight. Mine spawned on a Sat. morning and started hatching Mon. afternoon. By Sunday afternoon, I could definitely see the eyes and spine and they would start moving within the egg sac every so often. It sort of looks like a flipping motion. Kinda cool watching them with a magnifying glass. :)

That would be so cool! If Stakos reads this can you post a pic of your rychu? I would love to see a possible outcome between these two lovefish. I don't see eyes yet so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

How cute! Well mine will most likely be short tailed because my ryukin is a short tailed one. If I don't he any babies this time I will try next time.

How cute! Well mine will most likely be short tailed because my ryukin is a short tailed one. If I don't he any babies this time I will try next time.

yep it's hit and miss with Goldie's

Any eyes yet? :)

yay! sending baby fish vibes your way

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Well, no eyes and fungus appeared, so I don't think they were fertile, boo! Maybe next time. Since I have a new girl ranchu I am hoping that my male ranchu will try and breed with her so I can have ranchu babies, anyway, Thanks everyone :)