Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GreenTea

Bubble eye gravely ill

I went back to the store I got my two bubble eyes from for some plants and saw they had gotten one more in. He is a lovely, healthy dark chocolatey/black color. When I was checking out with the fish the store employee told me they had a sick one in the back who was probably not going to make and (she knows I keep goldfish) and asked if I'd like to have him and try to revive him. I said sure. It is a VERY sick fish. I don't know that he'll survive but I'm going to give it a shot.

Tank size : 5 gallon bucket, .1 salted, prazied. Temp: 70, all levels at 0. No other fish in tank. PH 7. Tried giving him a few bits of metro meds as well for the raised scales but it's not eating so I removed them and will try again later. There's a sponge filter in there for aeration/surface agitation as well.

Red scales, redness around one gill and mouth, curled up body, whitish fuzz stuff. Looks like the columnaris that used to get my bettas :(

Let me know if anything can be done or if I should just euth. I keep checking on him and he looks dead and then all of a sudden his gills will rapidly open and shut. Not looking good.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agFnYwaKU3w&feature=youtu.be

Poor guy. :(

Does the white fuzzy have like a raw edge? It's entirely possible that it isn't columnaris and that it is just excess slimecoat from a really bad fluke infection, but I can't really tell either way from the video. I'd try force feeding him the metro if he's exhibiting raised scales and still not eating.

Does the white fuzzy have like a raw edge? It's entirely possible that it isn't columnaris and that it is just excess slimecoat from a really bad fluke infection, but I can't really tell either way from the video. I'd try force feeding him the metro if he's exhibiting raised scales and still not eating.

This fish is like maybe an inch long, his mouth is so tiny and he's in such bad shape. I don't know that I can/safely can feed him unfortunately :unsure: And I wouldn't say it has a raw edge but it does look fairly raw under his jaw there around his gills.

Edited by GreenTea

If it is columnaris (I'd want another opinion before confirming) you want to keep the water as cool as possible and get him on antibiotics asap. In warm water columnaris can kill in hours but cooling the water will keep the bacteria's life cycle slow. I'd treat with kanamycin personally but it's been a long time since I've encountered columnaris. Hopefully a mod will be able to help me more than I can :C sorry.

If it is columnaris (I'd want another opinion before confirming) you want to keep the water as cool as possible and get him on antibiotics asap. In warm water columnaris can kill in hours but cooling the water will keep the bacteria's life cycle slow. I'd treat with kanamycin personally but it's been a long time since I've encountered columnaris. Hopefully a mod will be able to help me more than I can :C sorry.

Alright thanks PSP. It's ok, thanks for the support! I have to go to work now but I'll check back in a few hours.

Do you have any access to metronidazole powder, like the Seachem one? http://images3.backp...trodinazole.jpg

I can not say if this is columnaris or not, but considered the fish is not eating and in bad shape, it's not like you can make it much worse with treating for columnaris. Keeping the temp low is a great start in case of columnaris because this stuff is just SO FAST. I've had this happen to my angelfish (80F) a few months ago and it wiped 5 out of 6 fish out within 72 hours. Some of them took only 4 hours between first symptoms (denial of food) and death, others lasted 36.

Cool temps, and metronidazole at about 400mg per 10gallons (I used 4 level scoops of the seachem metro powder per 10g) may help. The only survivor of my columnaris case was still eating so I could feed him MMs in addition to the waterborne metro, and additionally performed a HP bath for 12 hours. But seeing what your guy looks like, I feel the HP bath would likely kill him.

I sure hope he makes it, and my best thoughts to both of you, but honestly my hopes aren't very high for this guy :(

Generally I would go with pristine water parameters as always.

Maybe salting very gently, at like 0.05% and then going to 0.1% may be of benefit to him. I hate stuff like this where you do not know the history of the fish, this really makes it difficult to figure out what is going on and what to do :(

If he perks up overnight I would say a salt dip might be a good idea as well?

I'd say that depends on how much he perks up. From the video right now, I almost doubt that he has enough strength to make it through a salt dip tomorrow, even if her perks up significantly. That poor guy is halfway on the way out.

But maybe people with more experience with salt dips can give us their opinion about this too :)

I dip for just about everything >.> I'd rather do a quick dip and seeing if it helps than isolating and salting (since I have plants) It really is hard to treat when you have no background on the fish. :(

Absolutely! Not knowing the history is really a big problem, and makes you have to cross your fingers and hope for the best. I am just not sure if a fish this weak would make it through a salt dip. I remember one of Helen's new butterflies (?) back then died after a salt dip even though he seemed to be doing quite well.

This little bubble eye looks like he is very very weak. But again, I've never done a salt dip one a weak fish like this and maybe I'm just overly paranoid.

Well, actually I know I AM overly paranoid when it comes to fish :lol

I would wait a few days and then dip but I think I'd chance it, especially if nothing else helps.

I killed two fish in a salt dip, and I thought they were healthy enough for it. :( I'm not saying, don't do it, but it can be hard on fish.

I killed two fish in a salt dip, and I thought they were healthy enough for it. I'm not saying, don't do it, but it can be hard on fish.

A salt bath is much harder than any dip can ever be.

Also, we have to judge their health to decide how much salt to use.

I got home a few minutes ago and he's gone.. really bummed I couldn't help him out. Thanks anyway guys.. :( I'm wondering if I did something wrong. I know he looked bad but maybe I should've just kept him in clean water until I got advice. I didn't think 1% salt and meds would hurt but he didn't make it.

The medication I use for prazi also has metro in it so all my fish go through qt with several bouts of metro and prazi with the medication.

For extremely frail fish like this, is it best to not use aq salt? I don't expect to be in this situation again but if I am. Thanks for the info Fang, PSP, + Alex. Shawn, I lost on in a dip too.

Edited by GreenTea

I'm sure there wasn't anything you could have done differently. I think it was amazing of you to try to save him. This little guy was on the way out, but at least he went with someone caring about him and oh God now I need a tissue.

You did your best GT. It probably was columnaris considering how quickly he went. May he RIP :heart

Hi Niki,

I'm sorry I wasn't able to look at the thread until now. Looking back at the video, it appeared that he has major slime coat build up, which would indicate a rather large parasitic infestation. In a situation where he was obviously that ill we wouldn't have been able to use salt or Prazi, because I don't think they would be very effective. If anything, you would want to use something like Parasite Guard, or even methylene blue by itself. Basically, he needs something that is effective against any number of things, but is still gentle enough on him. Even then, it's not a guarantee, and in this case, you did the very best you could.

I agree that salt dips are not helpful in this case.

aww the poor baby :( so glad you gave him your all before he left this world :)

I am so sorry you lost him. You tried. He probably had much better chances with you than at the LFS, and for the last few hours of his life people at least sincerely cared about him.

I'm sorry to hear that he died GT. A few years ago I also got a very sick bubble eye (a little orange one) as a free rescue from a pet store and I tried to nurse it back to health. Like this one, it was just way too weak, and in those cases unfortunately there is not much you can do. You did all you could. :heart

Thanks guys. I will keep this thread in mind should I ever be in this bad of a situation again. Considering your advice I will keep a special eye on the healthier sibling I got from the store. He is really big and robust, looking great, but I'll keep an eye on them and probably put them through a few extra prazi rounds.

Thanks again, I'm bummed I lost him but at least he's not suffering anymore.