Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
alvintran1998

How to stop tank obsession?

I just got a 37 gallon aquarium from Craigslist not even a month ago, and now im looking at tank deals on Craigslist again. Its not that im not happy with my current tank, I am, but it's just I love getting new and better things. I cannot settle for something for too long. So today I found a deal for a 55g for only $25, which I think it's a steal especially when it's not cracked or leaking. But I've just got the 37 gallon and its a big hassle to move and change tanks. And needing to find a new stand for it. I might as well just get a 150g or something to get over this tank obsession. =) But seriously though, are you like me to always be looking for bigger and better tanks and equipments for your fish, or are you happy with your current tank?

I guess you can never have too many tanks. :-D

I got a 4g for Christmas as my first tank, a 5g for a betta, a 29g for goldfish, and a 55g tropical community. I still want a small, long, heavily planted tank though. A 3 gallon long would be so nice, I've only seen one before though.

I just got a 37 gallon aquarium from Craigslist not even a month ago, and now im looking at tank deals on Craigslist again. Its not that im not happy with my current tank, I am, but it's just I love getting new and better things. I cannot settle for something for too long. So today I found a deal for a 55g for only $25, which I think it's a steal especially when it's not cracked or leaking. But I've just got the 37 gallon and its a big hassle to move and change tanks. And needing to find a new stand for it. I might as well just get a 150g or something to get over this tank obsession. =) But seriously though, are you like me to always be looking for bigger and better tanks and equipments for your fish, or are you happy with your current tank?

Alvin, meet ShawneeRiver.

Enough said! :rofl :rofl :rofl

I started with a fish in a bowl. Then I got a 3 gallon, 6 gallon, 37 gallon and finally a 90 gallon. Then, unlike any one I've ever heard of on this site, I went DOWN to a 40 gallon! :yikes

But, yeah, I think you could say you are certainly not the only one who's looking for bigger and better . . . :)

I also went from a bowl, to a 5g to a 10g to a 20g and now looking into a 30g :doh11::rolleyes::lol3 veerrryyy contagious!

I thought I would be perfectly happy and settled with the 37 gallons, but who knows, the obsession has only started. For now, I just tell myself that I cannot upgrade to a bigger tank since I can't afford a new stand. =) and stop checking Craigslist. =)

Who needs a stand when you can make one out of cinderblocks and plywood? :rofl

You've gotta feevah, and the only prescription is more tanks and equipment!

This is very normal. I went cheap on a few things, like Jebo stuff at first, it worked, but I have a huge pile of stuff that I don't use anymore. My advice would be to go with the good stuff to begin with and you will save overall.

I have been given a limit, only one new tank a year. Also there is a size limit, so I can't buy the 100,000 gallon tank of my dreams! :rofl

This is very normal. I went cheap on a few things, like Jebo stuff at first, it worked, but I have a huge pile of stuff that I don't use anymore. My advice would be to go with the good stuff to begin with and you will save overall.

THE ONLY PRESCRIPTION IS MORE COWBELL

MoreCowbell.gif

alright I'm done

sorry!

:rofl

THE ONLY PRESCRIPTION IS MORE COWBELL

MoreCowbell.gif

alright I'm done

sorry!

:rofl

You Got it! LOLOL!

Lol I have the same problem... I'm always day dreaming and looking up prices for bigger tanks... I have two 55's, two 20 gallons (one tall and one long lol) and a ten gallon. I want more, and bigger one's too!! I haven't been able to quiet my obsession either :rofl .

I want more fish too!! I just don't have room to set up all of the tanks lol

Lol I have the same problem... I'm always day dreaming and looking up prices for bigger tanks... I have two 55's, two 20 gallons (one tall and one long lol) and a ten gallon. I want more, and bigger one's too!! I haven't been able to quiet my obsession either :rofl .

Time to consolidate into 1 or 2 big tanks! :)

Time to consolidate into 1 or 2 big tanks! :)

This is what I'm trying to do. Out with anything smaller than a 30 gal. and in with the big tanks. :rofl

Oh you all. I started with a 10gallon tank, and now I got two 55gallons, a 27g tub, a 20g tank, two 10g tanks, a 5g and a 2.5g.

And yes, they are all in use :lol

there is like a human vacuum that sucks me into the doors of an LFS if i am within 50 kilometers.. hopeless :(

(ever played fish frenzy? :rofl :rofl )

there is like a human vacuum that sucks me into the doors of an LFS if i am within 50 kilometers.. hopeless :(

(ever played fish frenzy? :rofl :rofl )

No, what is that? :rofl2

OMG, I read this and thought, That's me!! :rofl

Alvin, meet ShawneeRiver.

Enough said! :rofl :rofl :rofl

And then I read this and almost fell out of my chair! :rofl2 :rofl2 :rofl2

Who needs a stand when you can make one out of cinderblocks and plywood? :rofl

And I have one of these!

Edited by ShawneeRiver

I'm much less tank obsessed than I was, and what helped was getting the right tank. For me, that's important. I started with a tank in the corner of my room, but I really wanted a corner tank. Once I finally got that, my tank-buying itch was better. Also, I got a desktop tank that was beautiful but limiting, so it wasn't making me happy, and that made me keep looking. And again, when I replaced it, I didn't feel the need to check out tanks all the time. I still look and am always interested in something new because I like shopping and trying new things, but I'm much better now. :)

I do think it's normal to creep up in tank size. Big tanks are, well, big! They can be daunting and expensive, and I could not have gotten one without getting my toes wet with a smaller one first. I needed to learn how to care for the fish and make sure that it was something I would enjoy. Even if I had wanted a big tank from the start, my husband never would have agreed. However, my husband has been very supportive. :heart Even with my tank swapping, he pointed out that I was learning. And I learned that there are pluses and minuses to different equipment, and now I know which things work best for me. :)

But I still look at tanks on Craigslist every day. ;)

Tank obsession? No. I have only a 4ft space to work with, it will take me years to find a deal for that space so currently there is a betta and snail in there.

Pond obsession? Yes. I'm making around a 600 gal pond in my basement next year and I'm digging up a 1270 gal pond to replace my 270 gal one that's getting a house build on it.

:rofl2 I have 8 fish.. they need room :rofl

Wow! I feel MUCH better! I only have a 90, a 29 & a 10!! I am not obsessed (hardly) at all!! (Yeah, right!)

THEN the other day I was admiring some BIG tanks & my hubby was looking too...when he said maybe when we move we'll get a 250. (I looked surprised & he grinned) THAT would be neat, but we are just at the beginning stages of looking for a house..so it's off in the future...BUT IN THE FUTURE!!!!

Edited by Jeana727

i have the same problem. i was given a 30g but immediately started prowling ebay until i found a 60g. its sitting in the garage right now! it should be set up before Christmas. hopefully that will keep me satisfied :)santa

Tank obsession? No. I have only a 4ft space to work with, it will take me years to find a deal for that space so currently there is a betta and snail in there.

Pond obsession? Yes. I'm making around a 600 gal pond in my basement next year and I'm digging up a 1270 gal pond to replace my 270 gal one that's getting a house build on it.

:rofl2 I have 8 fish.. they need room :rofl

say whaaaat :o ! in your basement! that's so cool

Talk about being obsessed check this out.

Last year I built a 150 gallon pond and then got a 15 gal tank. Come this past spring that wasnt cutting it so i replaced the 1t0 gal pond w a 250. Then i wanted a bigger inside tank so i got a 29 and kept the 15 in service as well. Then i decided the 250 wasnt big enough so i bjilt a pond over 1500 gallons. That wasnt enough, i also filled the preformed 250 pond. But that wasnt enough either! I got a 75 gallon tank and replaced the 15 with the 29. I swear it was all i could do to not fill the 15.

Now, that said, water quality did suffer in some of the "tanks". The maintenance was so high it wasnt fun anymore. Now im down to the 1,500, the 75, and the 29. And after this weekend i will be emptying the 29 as well.

I think i just needed to "go big" to be satisfied, i just didnt want to put forth the initial investment. I actually ended up spending much more by not getting what i wanted the first time.