Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
larryngu

Overfeeding with diets too rich in protein causes swim bladder problems?

How true is this statement?

"Most swim bladder problems are caused by over-feeding with a diet too rich in protein and fats.".

----Steve, (rain garden guy).

(A little context to his statement. I asked him did my two goldfish that I'm about to purchase have floating problems and the above statement was his reply.)

I think that is a true statement, although a diet too rich in carbohydrates will also do the same.

I guess the key is a balanced diet.

I think that is a true statement, although a diet too rich in carbohydrates will also do the same.

I guess the key is a balanced diet.

What brand should I feed my new fishes , Alex?

i read this somewhere on the internet. that it does not matter if the food sinks or floats as all fish are capable to some extent of swallowing air to fill the swim bladder. its the content of the food that matters. a high protein diet is not good for them as it is not what they would naturally eat.

i always take internet articles with a pinch of salt

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

If you're looking for a good brand Repashy soilent green is a great food for them. It's a very good, balanced diet for them and super easy to make. Visit our sponsors page about it (tastyworms) :)

Larry, feed Pro-Gold & Repashy soilent green. The Pro-Gold is great for growth, while the soilent green fulfills the greens requirements better than anything else can. With this combo, along with snacks of blood worms, I have not found that I needed to feed veggies at all.

Orandafan1981, only physostomous fish regulate the swim bladder through the connection with the esophagus. Goldfish are among these. While I agree with you that there isn't any good data that says that flakes cause floaty problems, while pellets do not, conventional wisdom suggests that the less gulping of air, the better, since the swim bladder is regulated at least in part through the intake/outtake of air via the esophagus. There are other reasons why flakes are not preferred.

Larry, feed Pro-Gold & Repashy soilent green. The Pro-Gold is great for growth, while the soilent green fulfills the greens requirements better than anything else can. With this combo, along with snacks of blood worms, I have not found that I needed to feed veggies at all.

Orandafan1981, only physostomous fish regulate the swim bladder through the connection with the esophagus. Goldfish are among these. While I agree with you that there isn't any good data that says that flakes cause floaty problems, while pellets do, conventional wisdom suggests that the less gulping of air, the better, since the swim bladder is regulated at least in part through the intake/outtake of air via the esophagus. There are other reasons why flakes are not preferred.

like i said its always best to take internet articles with a pinch of salt. this is why i come here to get goldfish information. ;)

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2