Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BurningIvy

Fry with issues

Hi! So basically what's happened is I took some poor advice on wc's for fry. I thought I read to not change their water at all in the first month and today over half of my week old fry died. The water tests perfectly but still something is wrong. Also, my one remaining two week old fry had terrifying water results. I'll link to the thread if anyone wants to refer back to things said. As of right now I changed the water 100% in the 2 weekers tank and am acclimating him now to that water by floating his cup of water in his tank. As for the others I changed about 5 Cups of water in the 2G tank. Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/104558-my-tank-is-a-maternity-ward/page__pid__1331638__st__100#entry1331638

With young fry, you definitely need to do daily water changes at least to get the uneaten food out. If you don't feel comfortable doing 100% at once, you can do 50% twice a day. I used to use a little piece of mesh covering a stiff piece of airline tubing to siphon the water out. And I used the same tubing to put the water back into the tank. So I put the bucket of water above the tank and siphoned in the new water. This keeps the fry from getting injured from the water movement and makes it easier for them to adjust to any slight ph or temp change.

Alright, thank you very much!

How are little Bill and the babies? I've been thinking about them all day.

The best way to do a 100% water change is just to scoop the fry out and put them in another container of water. Then you rinse out the container they were in and fill it with fresh water for tomorrow's change.

That is exactly what I did =) thank you very much! They're all doing super well today.

Is it at all possible that this batch of fry were all bad? Like had something wrong genetically? I have three remaining and I've been good about their water and watched them but they keep dying. Is there something that could be wrong on their end?

I only wonder because if there is something I've been doing wrong I need to know because I'm about to have a bunch more.

You probably did nothing wrong. Even the pros sometimes lose most or all of a batch of fry for unknown reasons. It's really hard to treat sick fry, since the medication doses for bigger fish can kill them, and often the first sign of illness is death. there are a lot of deformities and defects in baby goldfish and these guys usually die.

I had a huge number of babies this year. The accidental babies -- the ones who survived parental predation (I found fancies in ponds are lousy predators) and the ones that hatched out from waste water (like a plant tub) virtually all survived and are big and healthy. The ones I wanted, carefully collected, conscientiously did 100% water changes, etc., did very well for 2 months, and then started dying. Some of them clearly had something wrong with them and were "natural culls," but others appeared perfectly normal and healthy, even when dead. It looks like I'll have about 15% survival.

Well these ones after they die curl up or twist. It's like scoliosis for goldfish fry. I don't know why but almost all of them do this. I only have one left as of this morning.

Oh no! I'm so sorry! Is little Bill OK? Well hopefully this is just a thing. I'm sure Ursula will be having more babies then you can shake a Koko stick at :)

Oh of course Bill is okay =) The little one is 3 weeks one day old today! He has poop and is starting to get definition in his fins. It's adorable. And Ursula already gave me some more (MORE) babies. They are fertilized and I presume will hatch any day now.

Now armed with better info I'm sure these babies will do great. I was reading on another thread about keeping the water level low due to swim bladder issues. Babies sure are complicated and a lot of work!

They are so much harder than I ever imagined. It's crazy. Btw, just saw two little guys hatch. Let round 4 begin.

Sorry to hear about your losses. :( Sounds like Ursala has been busy making you a grandma again. :) Good luck with the latest eggs/fry.

I would think that now that Bill looks more like a GF than 2 dots and a line that he has a pretty good chance to make it! :nana Is he turning color yet? I don't remember exactly when that happened with my fry but I think it was around a month. :D

Edited by fantailfan1

He's white with pink spots (i'm assuming his gills) so no color yet but I can't wait to see it! He'll be a month old on Thursday next.

White with pink spots? My daughter would think that was perfect! :rofl

Oh wow! 4 rounds of eggs??! That's a lot and I thought 2 was a lot in a month. Bill is adorable btw. :) My fry will be 4 weeks old next week too! Good luck with yours!

Can we get new pics? I love seeing Bill--it's like he's family! :heart

Sorry to keep you on edge the past few days, but yes! Pictures are here! Bill is bigger than ever and will be moving into a 2.5G tank this week!

Ignore my talking I get too excited watching him swim. XD

35923_4930531231040_2082034936_n.jpg

14525_4930530871031_731053789_n.jpg

532424_4930530231015_752097506_n.jpg

484368_4930529831005_1450413012_n.jpg

399219_4930516110662_733708790_n.jpg

155442_4930515230640_546791102_n.jpg

486178_4930514470621_120593275_n.jpg

559955_4930513550598_167704268_n.jpg

Edited by BurningIvy

He's so cute.

He's the best!!

Oh Mr toodle britches! Him so purty, precious and perfect in every way!!! I just wanna smooch his widdle sweet head. :wub:

hasn't he grown so much?!

He ginormous! To think he was size of a piece of cracked pepper to such a big boy, in what, 4 weeks Thursday?

It blow the mind! :thud

Edited by smegypsiren