Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
cathys

Site Information is overwhelming

32 posts in this topic

I know i'm new and maybe haven't learned to navigate the site properly but

it seems like there is a lot of repetitive information. a lot of new topics that

most likely are covered somewhere on the site but it's easier to start a new

topic than spend hours looking through the numerous topics and discussions for

an answer.

is there a way to search for a specific problem?

would the site be better if topics deleted after so much time?

i'm talking the unpinned ones.

Cathy, there is a search function.

Also, the search is limited to the most recent 3 months, I believe.

It will get less overwhelming, once you start, and if you have questions, you are welcome to start threads asking questions.

I believe that Koko has done the best she could to both preserve extremely valuable information over the years, while making the info very accessible, and may I say not really overwhelming, to new people. I treasure these old posts, and it would be a travesty to delete them. That would be like burning old books.

Cathys, I agree that I would not want old threads deleted, but I completely understand that it can be confusing too. I'm an active member, and I often can't find things!!

If you have some specific questions, you could start a "I have a few questions" thread. :)

i am really impressed with the Article section :) koko has put a lot of effort in creating this new section for us. most times i need to reference anything, i run there first :)

i would be really unhappy if any of our archives were deleted.. i've been a member here since 2006.. many times, those archives have contributed to the health of my fish :) the "advanced search" option offers a lot of filtering, i use that moreoften when making a general search than that little box top right hand corner of the page.

One thing that I really like about this site in particular also is that yes, the posts and questions are somewhat repetitive but no one gets after you for asking a question thats been asked before. Think how it would be if everytime you asked a question someone said, thats been asked before why don't you search for it. The members are great here by answering each persons questions individually and I think thats worth a lot :)

Edit: On a side note I do think it would be really nice if we could look back at the last year at our own threads. Right now I can only see about 6 weeks worth, yet I know I've asked a question and if I want to get back to the answers in a thread I started and I cannot do that. Would love to see that expanded. I haven't successfully been able to do this with the advanced search either.

Edited by cmclien

What is truly frustrating is to be unable to find a thread you remember and the search function will not produce it because it is too old. I'm old, but my memory is still a lot better than that of "search."

What is truly frustrating is to be unable to find a thread you remember and the search function will not produce it because it is too old. I'm old, but my memory is still a lot better than that of "search."

in the advance field you can search by word. for instance, i was looking for my first posts. if i searched by my profile's "find content" it wouldn't bring it up.. but i searched by my fish's name that i put in the "search by words" field and i only had to look a few pages back... i found it.

lol Sometimes if the search function on here is not finding what I need I use google. I just type in Koko's and my question, it usually comes up with what I'm looking for, some really old post too.

i found sometimes you have to word your question differently a few times to get the right threads

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Edited by orandafan1981

I actually usually use google when I want to find something older. I just search something like " kokos goldfish raised scales" etc. I find this method tends to be quicker for older threads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys are so smart! I have Koko's threads come up all the time when I'm googling, and I never thought of using google to search on Kokos.

In Google type in " site:kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com [your search terms]" and it will bring up a list of search results that are only from this site, so you don't have to wade through search results from other websites too.

One thing that I really like about this site in particular also is that yes, the posts and questions are somewhat repetitive but no one gets after you for asking a question thats been asked before. Think how it would be if everytime you asked a question someone said, thats been asked before why don't you search for it. The members are great here by answering each persons questions individually and I think thats worth a lot :)

I absolutely agree. I hate it when you see other forums and a new member asks a question that had been "answered" a year before, and then the new member does not get any decent answer to his problem.

I think it is a great thing that we can even repeat the same topics, because we constantly have new members come in here, and each of them deserves our special attention with their problems and needs, instead of referring them to the old topic of someone else :)

I totally think it is fine when things are repeated though, because then it is more likely people are going to see it which is alright :)

Also, repeating topics makes sure they are constantly evaluated rather than just becoming doctrine. It gives new people chance to ask new questions about information and guidelines, which other people have to answer with evidence or reason - this is what makes it remain valid information, and why information here is often more up-to-date than that in even reputable books on fish care (I say that even as a librarian). Peer-review is a much studied and valued tool with respect to sourcing good information.

My advice would be If you are not sure, just ask the question in a new topic, people really wont get mad, if there has been a very recent thread on the same issue people/mods will link you to the relevant thread.

Edited by Lucerne

I also like having people ask the same questions. I have read many many threads on dropsy, tank cycling, tank sizes/shapes, pH/KH/GH, food, fry (not the food :) ), snails, etc and even though the initial questions are similar, almost every time there is a new twist and I learn something new. :)

I do delete topics in the Chatter box, test forum and such. But for the main part of the forum no. Some of these topic have been here for so long they are showing up in Google, Bling and yahoo search, why would I shot myself in the foot and take them off.

the search function can only go back so far, due to the fact the site has over 1 million posts and if your posting alot it cant cache that much at one time... I myself have problems some times searching, but if you use more than one word to find something it works quite well. Infact I was searching for a thread in 07 for UNA and I found it. So yeah you can search well back if you know how to.. :)

This site is like a library and taking down stuff wouldnt be wise to do :(

Also there is an Article section on the top now for Research, videos and such... Also a FAQ section... lots of places to search in :thumb:

I actually usually use google when I want to find something older. I just search something like " kokos goldfish raised scales" etc. I find this method tends to be quicker for older threads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's how i found this site. every time i researched something about goldfish care this site came up so i thought i'd join up :D

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

I like it when I go in D&D and can read through all the different things and the specific responses because that way I know what other people did and if it ever happens to me (yes i'm still going to post) but more often than not I know already what is going to be said and I can be on the lookout for illnesses. Also everyone does things differently and everyone sees new challenges or limitations so deleting things wouldn't be good or not reasking.

lol Sometimes if the search function on here is not finding what I need I use google. I just type in Koko's and my question, it usually comes up with what I'm looking for, some really old post too.

I do this too!

I love seeing a lot of the same questions, actually. It helps me learn the answers--like studying effortlessly! Eventually, after you see those core questions enough times, you can start answering them yourself. That, my friend is a good feeling. :)

I do this too!

I love seeing a lot of the same questions, actually. It helps me learn the answers--like studying effortlessly! Eventually, after you see those core questions enough times, you can start answering them yourself. That, my friend is a good feeling. :)

I have the memory of a brain damaged fruit fly, if I see something umpteen time it might stick. I do look high and low before I ask a question, I hate admitting I don't know wtf I'm doing.

Guest sharpchick

in the advance field you can search by word. for instance, i was looking for my first posts. if i searched by my profile's "find content" it wouldn't bring it up.. but i searched by my fish's name that i put in the "search by words" field and i only had to look a few pages back... i found it.

If you have a pdf creator on your computer, you can print a particularly helpful thread on the pdf creator. (Mine is Nitro PDF Reader, but the documents open in Adobe also.)

Then, just don't lose it on your own computer.

If you have a pdf creator on your computer, you can print a particularly helpful thread on the pdf creator. (Mine is Nitro PDF Reader, but the documents open in Adobe also.)

Then, just don't lose it on your own computer.

I'll have to make my husband figure out out to do that and explain it to me, slowly and in small words :D

I just bookmark the threads I want to refer back to under a directory in bookmarks called "fish". I know, really creative :rofl2

thanks everyone !!!