Sign in to follow this  
Gcourtney

bird help

12 posts in this topic

i was wondering is there any thing i can do to get my two budgies used to leaving the cage i have had them since july . they have the big play gym and bird tree outside their cage but dont use it. they are flighted btw. i dont belieave in clipping. they did figure out how to get the bells off thier toys.:lol i leave thier cage open when i'm home001-3.jpg here is a picture from last month i put them on the tree btw they are hand tame

Edited by Gcourtney

It just takes time, leave their cage door open when you are in the room, provided windows closed with blinds and other safety hazards are covered, and let them come out when they are comfortable.

iokay ic ic they where out ealier eating millet so they are comeing

They just have to feel safe, is all. Try not to feed millet sprigs all the time, though, as it can cause them to put on weight. Sure, there's a moderate amount in their food but it isn't the same as gorging on millet constantly. Add some fruit and veggies into the mix of treats. You'll be rewarded by the first time you see juice all over their faces!

Yes I very sparingly use millet I tried fruits and veggies but they just ignore it ill try again though I want to try bone broth sometime because I have some I heard it is a good treat for the birdies

That reminds me how mine used to "bathe" in the water drops that was on a wet lettuce leaf, while eating the lettuce. Seemed to be more interesting that way.

Yes I very sparingly use millet I tried fruits and veggies but they just ignore it ill try again though I want to try bone broth sometime because I have some I heard it is a good treat for the birdies

They're like fish: will ignore it until they come to the realization that it is indeed good food. It takes birds even longer, surprisingly. Another thing I liked to used with Snowball was an entire egg scrambled plain in the microwave, shells and all. When she was laying dud eggs she would get so many issues with calcium deficiency so I would feed this daily along with her normal food, sometimes adding some seed to the scrambled eggs. Apparently they're really fun to play with, too!

They're like fish: will ignore it until they come to the realization that it is indeed good food. It takes birds even longer, surprisingly. Another thing I liked to used with Snowball was an entire egg scrambled plain in the microwave, shells and all. When she was laying dud eggs she would get so many issues with calcium deficiency so I would feed this daily along with her normal food, sometimes adding some seed to the scrambled eggs. Apparently they're really fun to play with, too!

nice idea when I breed them down the road ill try it :thumb: Edited by Gcourtney

nice idea when I breed them down the road ill try it :thumb:

Just another tip: Your birds don't have to breed for the females to lay eggs. ;)

i know i just want to breed for the experience and of course more little buggers :thumb:

Put the millet on the play stand. But as stated you just have to wait till they are ready. Keep doing what your doing. Your off to a great start.

Yes I put the millet on the ladder and they attacked it :rofl