Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
addymeg1

pH issues!

Hey everyone!

Recently i got a 50 gallon tank for my b-day.(Couldent get parents to agree on a 75!) :teehee I just started cycling it today(19th) and all is well. The pH out of my tap is between 8.0-8.2.. The tank water is between 8.4-8.6. Really high!!!!! Is that difference okay for the fish when cycling is done? For doing large water changes? I currently don't have a gH/kH test kit:( I will be ordering one soon. :carrot: Is anything needed for this high of a pH? On the test, the color didnt exactly match any of the colors, soo i went on the tone of the color. Thank youuuu sooo much!

Congrats on the new tank!

That Ph is fine as long as it is stable (the kh/gh test will help determine this). You generally don't want more of a .5ppm change in Ph when doing a water change, because your Ph's are pretty close to within .5 of each other I wouldn't worry about the difference when doing a water change, particularly since you won't be doing a 100% change very often, so the change in Ph with a 50-80% water change will be negligible.

If you want a second opinion on reading the Ph feel free to post pics of your test vials next to the Ph card for us to look at ;)

Are you in Waunakee, WI? Its the only Waunakee I know of.....If so the PH is really high in the Madison area. Even if not, my PH is high like that too, around 8.3-8.4 or so and the fishies are just fine. Just keep in mind when you have fish that with a ph that high, ammonia is highly toxic even at very small amounts so keep up on your parameters and use Prime if you ever have any ammonia readings :)

If you are in my area hopefully your KH will be really high too which will keep your ph stable.

Edited by cmclien

Are you in Waunakee, WI? Its the only Waunakee I know of.....If so the PH is really high in the Madison area. Even if not, my PH is high like that too, around 8.3-8.4 or so and the fishies are just fine. Just keep in mind when you have fish that with a ph that high, ammonia is highly toxic even at very small amounts so keep up on your parameters and use Prime if you ever have any ammonia readings :)

If you are in my area hopefully your KH will be really high too which will keep your ph stable.

Yes i am!! Well thats a good sign that the kH is high so no crashes for me :clapping: Yup i have a 500mL bottle of prime waiting for its first victim! :fishtank: I will for sure have pics uploaded when fish are in and cycling is done. Actually my tank is 1 foot away from a sink, so water changes are super easy! How is your gH, okay? Thats awesome that i have someone in my area!

Yes i am!! Well thats a good sign that the kH is high so no crashes for me :clapping: Yup i have a 500mL bottle of prime waiting for its first victim! :fishtank: I will for sure have pics uploaded when fish are in and cycling is done. Actually my tank is 1 foot away from a sink, so water changes are super easy! How is your gH, okay? Thats awesome that i have someone in my area!

Well make sure you test it too ok?

My GH is super high but I'm on a well (I am technically in Sun Prairie), so I will be curious to hear what your readings are since you are on "city water". I have super high nitrates too which stinks. I have to deal with those by using different water but that doesn't mean you will :)

Have you tested your tap water yet? You should test your tap water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates as well as your GH and KH it will give you a clear picture as to what your putting into your tank.

Have you thought about how many fish and what fish you are getting? Where will you be buying them from? I'm sure you are VERY excited!

Edited by cmclien

Well make sure you test it too ok?

My GH is super high but I'm on a well (I am technically in Sun Prairie), so I will be curious to hear what your readings are since you are on "city water". I have super high nitrates too which stinks. I have to deal with those by using different water but that doesn't mean you will :)

Have you tested your tap water yet? You should test your tap water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates as well as your GH and KH it will give you a clear picture as to what your putting into your tank.

Have you thought about how many fish and what fish you are getting? Where will you be buying them from? I'm sure you are VERY excited!

I currently dont have a kH/gH test kit but will probably be getting one as the big day comes closer. Yup have tested the tap 0-0.10 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 4 nitrates. (Is that high?) The pH was 8.0-8.2. Yup i have thought about fish: probably 2-3 depends on how many live plants i get. Not sure what kind anything that looks healthy and alert! They would probably be from Petsmart because the only real LFS is the Living Art Aquarium. How are Living Art's goldies? I know they have great saltwater, but havent checked for goldies. Yup I am super excited, ever since i had won a hopeless carnival fish, i have wanted to get goldfish of my own that are in the proper conditions. My friends think im nuts for getting pretty obsessed over a FISH. Haha :carrot:

I currently dont have a kH/gH test kit but will probably be getting one as the big day comes closer. Yup have tested the tap 0-0.10 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 4 nitrates. (Is that high?) The pH was 8.0-8.2. Yup i have thought about fish: probably 2-3 depends on how many live plants i get. Not sure what kind anything that looks healthy and alert! They would probably be from Petsmart because the only real LFS is the Living Art Aquarium. How are Living Art's goldies? I know they have great saltwater, but havent checked for goldies. Yup I am super excited, ever since i had won a hopeless carnival fish, i have wanted to get goldfish of my own that are in the proper conditions. My friends think im nuts for getting pretty obsessed over a FISH. Haha :carrot:

Do you mean your nitrates are 5 or 40? 4 isn't a normal reading, it goes 5, 10, 20, 40, 80 etc on the drop test. If they are 40 then yes, thats high. That would be about the EPA's (I hope thats the right agency) maximum standard for drinking water but worse for a fish.

Funny, I went to Living Art aquarium and it was a great place full of educated people and they had no goldies! I was like "none?" "no fancies?", "nothing?" lol

And the guy working there said its too hot in there for them, and it was warm in there with all the tanks and heaters. He said sometimes they get some in the spring....

Both of mine are from petsmart (East Towne). They get their fish on Wednesdays, so I would say go in on a Thursday to see what new fish they have gotten in. Sometimes I go in and the goldies look awesome and are really perky and sometimes I go in and they're barely moving. Either way, you will want to treat them with PraziPro, (links and articles on that) or you can post questions, to pro-actively treat them for parasites.

This is a great web-site! You will learn much here :)

Do you mean your nitrates are 5 or 40? 4 isn't a normal reading, it goes 5, 10, 20, 40, 80 etc on the drop test. If they are 40 then yes, thats high. That would be about the EPA's (I hope thats the right agency) maximum standard for drinking water but worse for a fish.

Funny, I went to Living Art aquarium and it was a great place full of educated people and they had no goldies! I was like "none?" "no fancies?", "nothing?" lol

And the guy working there said its too hot in there for them, and it was warm in there with all the tanks and heaters. He said sometimes they get some in the spring....

Both of mine are from petsmart (East Towne). They get their fish on Wednesdays, so I would say go in on a Thursday to see what new fish they have gotten in. Sometimes I go in and the goldies look awesome and are really perky and sometimes I go in and they're barely moving. Either way, you will want to treat them with PraziPro, (links and articles on that) or you can post questions, to pro-actively treat them for parasites.

This is a great web-site! You will learn much here :)

I actually checked Waunakee's water report and it was 4 nitrates! haha weird number. I can test the tap soon though. Have you been to West Towne? It has always seemed they have more goldies. (Healthier too) i think. Well thank you for the info about East Towne, i rarely go to east towne but if they have good goldies!!! :P Also one more question i will be leaving town for Florida till this sunday. The tank is in my basement cycling, by itself. Is it okay that i dont test the water till i get back? Nothing is required to be done. Prime in, 4ppm ammonia added, bubble wand going, filters on. Also the bubble wand is the flexible black one from petsmart. Right now it works great but at one end but at the other end it has air coming out of it but it really isnt bubbles. It almost looks like carbonation coming out of soda. Thats how it feels at the surface. I remember hearing that the fish can get a disease, gas bubble disease? Idk :krazy: Haha i bet its fine but wanted be check in with you.

You are fishless cycling this tank right? Your other 3 are in another separate tank? If the other tank is cycled you can just move your media for an almost instant cycle. You won't need Prime until the fish are in. I have never fishless cycled but leaving your ammonia at 4.0 I think is what is recommended.

Regarding the water, the water report only shows No3, the aquarium test is No3 plus No4. To get that you need to multiply No3 x approx 4.4 which means your total nitrate is about 17. Generally on this site they recommend trying to keep the nitrates the fish produce under 20 but you are starting out with close to 20. This is not good for the fish but if you heavily plant your tank like you mentioned then the plants will consume the nitrates and bring it down :) If you don't heavily plant then with the added fish waste your nitrates will get too high causing you to have to do more than one water change a week.

My understanding is that gas bubble disease is very rare and would not happen with a standard bubble wand :)

Yup fishless cycling.... The 3 in my avatar r the ones going to go in the tank. I currently don't have any fish right now. Okk maybe i will test with the nitrate test kit... And see how it is:) yes i will think about heavily planting the tank. How many plants do you consider "heavily" planted? I was thinking about putting anubias tied to rocks.. Also maybe some java fern in a glass jar with a nutrient rich substrate.

Edited by addymeg1

Oh good, I was a little worried there about the fish lol

Yes, test your tap if you have the drop test kit. This will give you the no3 and no4 combined reading which we use for the aquarium.

And maybe I shouldn't have said heavily planted as I don't know how many it will take. So start off with more than a few of the plants you mentioned and wisteria is a pretty plant that just floats at the top all by itself that someone told me to get so I'm trying it too. It looks pretty at the top of the water and they nibble a little on it but not too much so far. As the plants grow they will do alot to help.

Ideally if you started with zero nitrates then you should keep them under 20. Because you are starting at almost 20 (possibly), until your plants grow and start consuming the nitrates just make sure to keep on top of 1 50% water change a week or more if they hit 40 (which is more red then orange). Starting with 3 fish is perfect as you won't be overstocked and that will help keep the nitrates from rising too rapidly.

Edited by cmclien

Oh good, I was a little worried there about the fish lol

Yes, test your tap if you have the drop test kit. This will give you the no3 and no4 combined reading which we use for the aquarium.

And maybe I shouldn't have said heavily planted as I don't know how many it will take. So start off with more than a few of the plants you mentioned and wisteria is a pretty plant that just floats at the top all by itself that someone told me to get so I'm trying it too. It looks pretty at the top of the water and they nibble a little on it but not too much so far. As the plants grow they will do alot to help.

Ideally if you started with zero nitrates then you should keep them under 20. Because you are starting at almost 20 (possibly), until your plants grow and start consuming the nitrates just make sure to keep on top of 1 50% water change a week or more if they hit 40 (which is more red then orange). Starting with 3 fish is perfect as you won't be overstocked and that will help keep the nitrates from rising too rapidly.

Just tested the nitrates from the tap:about 5. It sounds like a great idea! Would pH affect the plants? Will post pics of tank when cycled and ready! Right now it just has 6 river rocks on the bottom and a flexible air wand. :o Do the lights need to be on while cycling or no? Right now the tank is underneath a counter and the filters do not fit on the back so they are on the side. So of course the full hoods wouldnt fit either. So it is just sitting on the counter open. My family is going to raise the cabinets so that the tank will fit nicely underneath. All good there. :clapping: Thank you sooo much for putting up with the Q's!!!! Haha

Thats awesome they were only 5! I always ask this question but I have to ask, did you shake bottle #2 really good???? Tap it on the counter, shake it for a full 30 seconds before using it? And then shake the vial for 60 seconds after #1 and #2 are in?

You have to do this every time or it will falsely make your results low.

I don't think the ph would effect the plants but I'm no expert! No, the lights don't need to be on.

Just make sure where the tank is placed you can get over it to clean it, clean the filters, get to the back of the glass etc or it will be a pain for you.

Looking forward to your cycled tank pictures and fish :)

Edited by cmclien

Thats awesome they were only 5! I always ask this question but I have to ask, did you shake bottle #2 really good???? Tap it on the counter, shake it for a full 30 seconds before using it? And then shake the vial for 60 seconds after #1 and #2 are in?

You have to do this every time or it will falsely make your results low.

I don't think the ph would effect the plants but I'm no expert! No, the lights don't need to be on.

Just make sure where the tank is placed you can get over it to clean it, clean the filters, get to the back of the glass etc or it will be a pain for you.

Looking forward to your cycled tank pictures and fish :)

Yup i counted soo slow!!! It 2 seconds to every second. If that makes sense.... Yea the whole tank is easily accessible, i even have a power strip!! That makes it sooo easy to clean.... :D Will start a cycling topic when i get back. Today is a full day 1. I started cycling yesterday.