Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gcourtney

What so you think of petsmarts large goldfish

So I was at petsmart and they had some large Goldie's for thirty dollars what to you think of that deal they are mixed breeds but some were real pretty. They are about the size of Steve's or do fish

If you can find one that seems healthy I'd say go for it. I've had pretty good luck with Petsmart fish in general. However, at least at the Petsmarts around here, all the large goldfish I've seen did not look healthy to me. :(

I have seen some pretty ones there. If you see one you like and it looks healthy, go for it. :) Many people here have Petsmart fish and are happy with them.

I got my little Otis at petsmart and have not had any serious issues so far. Its nice to go when they just stock their fish so they aren't in the tank for that long. I've seen some nice fish there but after purchasing a Goldie through steve I will most likely get all my future fish from him as well.

I've seen those fish too, both of my fish are from Petsmart. Find out what day they get their deliveries of fish in and go the next morning, for instance I think my local petsmart gets their goldfish in on Wednesdays so the girl there told me to come Thursday as they will be a little stressed Wed night but still very new. Sometimes I go and the large fish look great and active and sometimes not so much. I think if you watch one long enough you will find the right one. You could also buy a "medium" fish, about 14.00 if I remember correctly and with the right diet, within 6 months to a year they will be as big as those. Seems like at my store they usually have for the large ones, orandas, usually the red cap, (awfully cute). I'm not sure if I've seen anything in the larger variety besides orandas. Go for it and you would qt anyway and treat with prazi like any other fish. I always just look for the active one, the one who's looking for food and not just treading water in the middle of the day (I'm sure you know this already).

Edited by cmclien

Any petsmart is hit or miss! It is really highly dependent on who is caring for them after they come into the store. My local petsmart has some lovely large ryukins

Thanks I got my tele from petsmart so I might try a large one down the road but I would check rg first I saw a lovely black moor that was nice sized but at the rate my orandas growing she be big in n o time

Edited by Gcourtney

I got my Mongo from the 30 dollar tank.

He was 9 inches long when he passed. I think if I have never moved him into the 30 with two others I would not of lost him. Worth every penny.

gftank034.jpg

Edited by Hidr

I got my Mongo from the 30 dollar tank.

He was 9 inches long when he passed. I think if I have never moved him into the 30 with two others I would not of lost him. Worth every penny.

He was beautiful! I've never seen a black large oranda there, wow. Just out of curiosity, why did he pass when you moved him to a new tank?

Over stocking most likely. He starting floating on his side and was dead within a few hours. Not sure. Maybe the stress of the move?

Over stocking most likely. He starting floating on his side and was dead within a few hours. Not sure. Maybe the stress of the move?

Ah thats too bad, he was lovely.

You can find real gems at Petsmart if you keep an eye out! The location by me always takes very good care of their fish. My favorite (and largest) fish is from Petsmart.

100_1326-1-1.jpg

About 1 year later:

100_62801.jpg

That "after" picture was taken over a year ago, so he is even larger now. Although he was not one of the $30 "large" fish, you can see that the small fish also have potential! I say, if you find one you really can't be without, go for it! But don't forget to check out the little guys, too! ;)

Kailey, wow! He's gorgeous!! :heart

I just saw some very promising smaller ryukins at Petsmart. Just keep watching. ;)

Wow, beautiful!

Now these are Petsmart fish I got in CA :thumb:

fiona4.jpg

lubbb.jpg

12.jpg

Absolutely adorable Koko!

I will have to take pics of my petsmarties :P my favorites are from there.

I got 2 big $30 orandas from my local Petsmart for christmas, and they are stunning. I dont know how they are compared to rain garden or DO but I think i can justify the price point for the fishs' health and quality. I would recommend them if they look healthy.

I got a $50 giftcard to petsmart for Christmas. I wasnt going to use it for a fish but yall are convincing me. XD

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Most of my goldfish are Petsmart sourced, but I've only purchased one from their 35.00 tank. That one was a lovely sky blue calico oranda, a truly beautiful fish with a tall dorsal and broad, flowing fins. S/he was a bit thin, with a slightly concave back, but after a few good feedings, s/he ...

rolled on her side and began floating. In spite of a diet high in split peas from that point forward, she was dead in two weeks.

My personal opinion is that there's no real quality difference between their $35 fish and their $13 dollar fish, just an extra year's growth. Most of the fish I've seen in Petsmart's $35 tank haven't really impressed me. That having been said, if you've spotted one that you love . . . I'd say go for it.

~Bruce

My two big guys are petsmart fish, though they were from the small tanks when I bought them. I've read, more than once, that if you purchase younger fish, they've been exposed to all the stesses of toxic water, and shipments for a shorter time. Since they're in your tank, and fed good food sooner, they often live longer, and have a better quality of life.

My vote is to pick two small, healthy fish, and watch them grow. If you give them a nice, big tank, and fresh, clean water from the start, they'll be 30.00 petsmart fish in no time. :)

At the Petsmarts around here, you can get wonderfully healthy fish from the $0.13 and $0.26 tanks if you get them within a day or two of when they arrive. After that, they are likely to be suffering from ammonia toxicity. I have bought 11 of these in the past 3 years (most of them 3 years ago).

Eight of these have never shown the slightest problem and are still beautiful and healthy.

One had ammonia burns right after I got him (he'd been in the store for a week.) Two years later, he was apparently attacked by a predator (a large frog, I think) and developed an infection. I pulled him out, treated him, and he made a complete recovery.

One (the largest) died in a stupid accident (by me) about a year after I got her.

One was lying dead in the pond one morning two years after I got him. He had appeared perfectly healthy and hungry the night before, and appeared perfect after death, so who knows what happened.

One dropsied last summer, probably as a result of infections in spawning injuries. She was severely pineconed, and I bought some clove oil before I decided to try treating her. She made a full recovery, and is back in a pond with just two boys.

The more expensive fish at Petsmart mostly look sick. About 1/4 of them have deformities (mainly fins). Many are floaty. I have bought 8 of these, carefully picking out only healthy-looking fish.

Two died within a month.

Two others died within 2 years, after at least a year of poor health that didn't improve with any treatment.

One had a mouth deformity that I didn't catch when he was tiny, but otherwise is healthy.

One required almost 6 months of prazi treatment before the fluke symptoms went away.

Two have been healthy from the start.

I have regularly looked at the $30 fish. These are "large" fish ~ 1.5 inches s.l. I have NEVER seen one that appeared healthy. They all have clamped fins and/or are bottom sitting. I would never buy one, but at least some of them could probably be nursed back to health.

I have read that the Petsmart "feeders" all come from a very large American fish farm, and that the fancies are imported. Whatever you might think about growing fish to be sold as feeders, there is no way a farm can produce (literally) millions of fish for market each year unless they have excellent procedures for avoiding disease and parasites. Since these fish are produced totally for market, they are not culls. Those shipped in from Asia are probably those that couldn't be sold in a more demanding market.

I do understand that in other locations, Petsmart may carry better quality fish.

Great post, shakaho. :)

There is one of those feeder farms about 2.5 hours from me. I asked last year for permission to visit the facility, and the owner very graciously said yes. I have not had the chance to organize a trip, but it would be really neat to see it, I think. I agree completely that they must have quite good techniques to be able to produce that many fish per year.

As for fancies, some of them are not imported, because I am pretty sure that American breeders also sell their culls and less perfect fish to fish shops. Whether the big chain stores participate in this, I'm not sure. I know we have several members at least who have worked at the Pets, so it will be interesting to see if they know anything about the sources of fish at their stores.

I am now more convinced than ever that it's more fun and better (for me) to get small/young fish and raise them. They will have had less time in the hands of others, and that could mean a world of difference.

Very interesting shakaho , and my pet smart tele has grown quite much in nine months he was so tiny at first now he could almost eat the pearlscales at my Lfs :lol I like the security Of raising young gold fish ,

Edited by Gustave

Alex, I would love to see that farm. I know they've been involved in some quality research. I think it was Ichthius who said that the Petsmart fish were imports. I apologize to him if I am wrong.