Sign in to follow this  
alvintran1998

Hikari, Pro-Gold or Omega One?

56 posts in this topic

I've just started with my Goldfish keeping hobby, and I'm liking it so far. And as with all of my pets, I try to feed and treat them the best way possible. That's why I come here for some information on which is the best goldfish food and which is worth the most money. My ryukins are still pretty small, only about 2 inches from head to tail each, so I want to feed them the bestest in their first year. If you've had any experience with any of the food, feel free to share them below.

Also, feel free to share where you found the best deals on these foods.

I've used all three, and they are all good. I like them in this order:

1. Pro-Gold. The best in my opinion.

2. Omega One. Really good, and really inexpensive. Also can be found at stores instead of online. The drawback is that it causes of color issues with my fish, and can cause floatiness.

3. Saki Hikari (Purple Bag). I didn't get very good experiences with this, but others have done really well by this food.

2. Omega One. Really good, and really inexpensive. Also can be found at stores instead of online.

I think a lot of people also think that Pro-Gold is really good, and the price is very inexpensive. But the only problem is the shipping cost for a bag is $5.99 for a small one, and $7.99 for the larger one. I only wish the shipping cost was less, then I wouldn't even have to ask this question. Does anybody know any other place to get the Pro-Gold for cheap?

I have to agree with Alex, I tried all three in less than a year, the only one that I have honestly really seen a difference in with Mango is Pro-gold. He started to fill out nicely :)

You can only buy ProGold online at goldfishconnection.com. It's an excellent food. :)

Another food you may want to check out is Repashy, especially the soilent green variety. You can purchase it from one of our sponsors tastyworms.com. I've also found it locally.

Edited by fantailfan1

Pro-gold is not available to me, but I've had good results with Hikari oranda gold + saki (purple bag). I feed omega one too because it's cheap but I haven't seen much growth feeding it. I feed a mixture of everything these days xD

I wish they would make Saki Hikari (Purple Bag) the same size pellets as the Hikari Lionhead ones.

I been using Progold since it came out.:thumb:

I would say Hikari or Pro-Gold.

I have Omega One goldfish flakes and betta flakes. Both are lower in protein content than cheap brands like Tetra. My Omega One only has 39% protein, and Tetra has around 43%.

I've used all three, and they are all good. I like them in this order:

2. Omega One. Really good, and really inexpensive. Also can be found at stores instead of online. The drawback is that it causes of color issues with my fish, and can cause floatiness.

3. Saki Hikari (Purple Bag). I didn't get very good experiences with this, but others have done really well by this food.

I can only agree with this. I have not tried Pro-Gold myself (yet) but it seems to be one of the best things out there.

The problem with Saki Hikari, compared to Omega One, is that the Saki Hikari contains a lot more fillers than the Omega One. Al lof Omega One's pellets' first ingredients are protein based, while Saki Hikari uses a lot of grain based ingredients in their food.

I have used ProGold for a long time, and the only issue I have had is floatiness (Due to underlying causes not really having much to do with the brand) but I definitely would recommend it as the best! Growth was dramatic, colors were bright, and any fish I tried it on seemed to go absolutely wild for it.

Omega one seems to be pretty popular and Saki Hikari seems to be relatively so as well but honestly if you can afford it please do purchase ProGold.

And since you are in the US please take a look at Repashy Soilent Green as well! ;)

My Myng gets alittle floaty on Progold, but nothing like a little fasting to get him back to normal :)

Progold! :D You won't find progold anywhere else but goldfish connection, it is their product so they are the only ones who sell it. If you want to make shipping worthwhile you could also pick up some metro meds and medigold to have on hand if you don't already :)

I also second the recommendation of repashy soilent green which you can buy from our sponsor tasty worms (link is on front page of forum). Progold and SG together are great, this is what I have been feeding for awhile now and my fish do great on it :)

A word of caution: a member here is having issues with Godlfish Connection right now. If you were to order the Progold, you might want to do a phone order to make sure that someone will be sending it. :(

Or has that problem been solved?

A word of caution: a member here is having issues with Godlfish Connection right now. If you were to order the Progold, you might want to do a phone order to make sure that someone will be sending it. :(

I think they solved it by calling on the phone, yes. Phone orders are also so much more painless, anyway.

I think they solved it by calling on the phone, yes. Phone orders are also so much more painless, anyway.

Super! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: I would hate to not be able to order from there. I've only ordered meds, and they've always come quickly.

Progold is awesome! I like to use a pellet mix though so mine get progold, omega one, and spirulina pellets. I used to use Hikari and I liked the lionhead variety best :)

I can't decide between Pro-Gold, progold, or PROGOLD. It's a tough one.

:P

Never tried Progold.

Do use: Omega one pellets and flakes. Can find it at Petsmart. The fish love it.

Also use: Hikari Brine Shrimp and can find that either at Petsmart or Petco. I can't remember where I bought it.

About 12 days ago (or so) I did buy some New Life Spectrum pellets and the fish absolutely love this. I bought it at Petco. I was looking around and saw they carried this food. I was so excited to see this brand. This is now my favorite fish food. It has lots of different veggies in it.

I vary up the food day to day though. But I have noticed my fish getting bigger, longer, not as skinny, since I've introduced the New Life Spectrum.

I believe all the food I mentioned varies close in cost $10.00 give or take.

My daughter and I are pretty new to being fish owners. She got the first one just prior to Summer and the last fish at the end of Summer.

Edited by 4prettyfish

:tomuch:

Personally I prefer ProGold.

Well not personally personally but my fish . . . :P

I've been worn down, and I've ordered my first Pro-Gold. I haven't done it before because it's just so much easier to buy a food at the store ... and check out the fish while I'm there. ;)

Just a little update, I ordered a 2lb bag of Pro-Gold on Wednesday, it was shipped on Thursday, and I've just received it today, Saturday!!! That's some crazy shipping speed. I was not expecting it to get here until next week. This is just fantastic! I would highly recommend them! Great service.

If you think the service is great, wait til you try the ProGold! :rofl