Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
leross04

Canister filters

I know I've mentioned canister filters before, but I think on black Friday I'm gonna treat all my tanks and get them each a canister filter. I have a 55gal and a 40gal. Which canister filters would be best for the tanks, and is there any advice you can give me? Any imput would be appreciated! thanks :)

eheim professional are nice and so are fluvals

I have two fluval 306s on my 75 gallon and I really like them.

For canisters, you can shoot for 5-7x filtration because they have much more capacity than a hang on back filter.

I also highly recommend getting a bucket to put your canister in. You will make a mess maintaining them, and it's nice to have a thing in place to catch the extra water. Also, this makes them much easier to move around as they usually don't have a good way to grip them.

Ive always been a fan of Eheims :krazy:

I have two fluval 306s on my 75 gallon and I really like them.

For canisters, you can shoot for 5-7x filtration because they have much more capacity than a hang on back filter.

I also highly recommend getting a bucket to put your canister in. You will make a mess maintaining them, and it's nice to have a thing in place to catch the extra water. Also, this makes them much easier to move around as they usually don't have a good way to grip them.

I second the bucket idea, except mine is in a taller, thinner trash bin because the canister is tall and thin. The trash can (a new plastic one with built-in handles) is easies to move than the bucket was. The bucket was way too short and the canister was tippy when I moved them.

Btw, my canister is a Fluval 405. I like it, but it's a pita to reseal it. Sometimes it leaks before I can get the top on tight. The plastic trash bin is a lifesaver then. :)

I agree with the Eheim Professional. :)

Throw that canister in the trash!! ;) Seriously, I am very happy with this. It's much easier to move around than it was in a bucket. :)

7376603016_2483bb3a53_z.jpg

I run two eheim professional canisters and I LOVE them. :)

Eheim Ecco Pro 300 here :krazy:

They are number 1 in my book... Wish I could afford one again :thumb:

I am looking at a couple Eheim classics right now, I prefer them over the pros. I can't say anything bad about Fluval, love my Fluvals. My Rena xp was a little tricky, but once I learned how to bleed off the trapped air, it has been a great filter. So out of the big 3, I guess I like them all. :) I saw an xp filter in an API box the other day, very weird, I don't know what is going on with that.

If you're going for an eheim classic make sure the taps and media are included, some don't come with and they are expensive to buy separately.

If you're going for an eheim classic make sure the taps and media are included, some don't come with and they are expensive to buy separately.

Thanks for the heads up! I was wondering why the prices online varied so much. I am looking at a 2215 and a 2262 for 2 different tanks, the 2262 is just a beast!. :)

jeff how do you bleed off the air on the rena? i got one with my 46 bow front but have never been able to get it going.

i bought a new set of gaskets for it but haven't had time to mess with it yet.

jeff how do you bleed off the air on the rena? i got one with my 46 bow front but have never been able to get it going.

i bought a new set of gaskets for it but haven't had time to mess with it yet.

I learned from this video on youtube, this trick works great. :)

They are number 1 in my book... Wish I could afford one again :thumb:

What one did you have? Did it stop working? Do you prefer classic or pro? :)

thanks Jeff that video was very helpful. !!!

Hi! Since we are talking about filters, I actually had a question of my own...

I'm looking at getting a canister filter myself. I currently have three hob filters totaling about 600GPH for a 55 gallon. I've been looking at the canister's online, and I'm not seeing much over 363 GPH... Are GPH different somehow with the canisters or do I just need more than one to get to my 600? Or will the 363 GPH be ok for my two Goldies?

thanks Jeff that video was very helpful. !!!

My pleasure. :) That young man did a great job with that video.

Hi! Since we are talking about filters, I actually had a question of my own...

I'm looking at getting a canister filter myself. I currently have three hob filters totaling about 600GPH for a 55 gallon. I've been looking at the canister's online, and I'm not seeing much over 363 GPH... Are GPH different somehow with the canisters or do I just need more than one to get to my 600? Or will the 363 GPH be ok for my two Goldies?

The Fluval FX5 will do around that, but the FX5 is a very powerful filter, I don't know if people would recommend it for a 55 with fancies, maybe too much current. Do you want to completely get rid of your hob's?

I was hoping to do away with the hob's.. I was thinking of possibly running an undergravel filter as well as regular level filtration. I was also thinking of doing something with a separate planted tank tank (with a pothos plant hopefully!) to help with keeping my nitrates down... What do you think?

I was hoping to do away with the hob's.. I was thinking of possibly running an undergravel filter as well as regular level filtration. I was also thinking of doing something with a separate planted tank tank (with a pothos plant hopefully!) to help with keeping my nitrates down... What do you think?

I don't know much of anything about live plants or undergravel filters. :( I do know that there is some controversy regarding undergravel filters, hopefully somebody more knowledgeable will chime in. I personally like the hob canister combo, the hob for the surface agitation, ease of cleaning, and they can provide oxygen to the water. I like canisters for the media capacity, and the ability to move water. It works like peanut butter and jelly does. :)

Oh awesome! I'll most likely do the combo then :). That should allow me to have the GPH I want too!

Under gravel filters are not recommended for almost any tank.

Please, don't get an undergravel filter. They trap the gunk underneath, which causes water quality issues. They are an obsolete system that does more harm than good.

I don't know much of anything about live plants or undergravel filters. I do know that there is some controversy regarding undergravel filters, hopefully somebody more knowledgeable will chime in. I personally like the hob canister combo, the hob for the surface agitation, ease of cleaning, and they can provide oxygen to the water. I like canisters for the media capacity, and the ability to move water. It works like peanut butter and jelly does.

mmmmm peanut butter and jam ( jelly) i want one now :lol: Edited by orandafan1981