Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
scrappinjaime

Here is a picture of the snails

http://s902.beta.photobucket.com/user/scrappinjaime/media/image.jpg.htm

lIn my discus tank. I only have one merited that I've had for 6-7 months. No new plants or fish. How do I get rid of them? I took out all my filters and soaked them in bleach water.

Edited by scrappinjaime

I don't see a photo?

I think it's there now :)

aww they're cute,is this a problem in your tank?aren't they the kind that kill other snails?I'm probably wrong ;)

I don't know much about them, but perhaps you could try some assassin snails! They are supposed to kill other (pest) snails, I believe. But if you have nerites be careful, because I think the assassin snails kill them too.

Another thing to try is make a little feeding station with lots of foods snails would like (fresh zucchini perhaps) on a tray or plate. When enough snails have congregated on the feeding station, remove it and throw them out. You could keep doing this every 24 hours until you got most of the snails out.

I had that same problem a year ago. I tried everything then finally bought a couple of assassin snails and they have gotten rid of them all. I highly recommend them!

Malaysian trumpet snails. They can overpopulate if you overfeed, but, live beneath the substrate and keep everything aerated, and discourage anerobic bacteria pockets. Assassin snails will get rid of them, but, will also kill off your nerite. You may have a larger colony than you think, as they usually stay buried during the day. They are harmless, and a lot of aquariasts actually enjoy keeping them. ;)