Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
melindapaolino

Prime gives false readings?

4 posts in this topic

hi!

So I have always use prime, and I have heard and experienced that it gives false readings for ammonia in the api test kit. I know that it makes ammonia less toxic and not eliminates it, but I was just wondering if I throws off the reading so it reads higher, because I dont think I have any ammonia in there.

if it does throw off ammonia, how long should I wait before the prime wears off and I can test accurately again?

It shouldn't give false readings, as I believe the API and most drop tests, test for both forms of ammonia, both toxic and non-toxic and they will show up anyways. Someone correct me if I am wrong, the only way it would give false positives is if the test only tested for the toxic form, and not the other form. I may be confusing that with the strips though, but I am pretty sure that it wouldn't give a false positive. But I am pretty sure that it wouldn't create an ammonia reading if there was none in there in the first place, or a higher one, because it doesn't add ammonia to the water. Prime remains effective for 24 hours, so you can test again after that to check (:

Edited by LovelyChaos

Prime doesnt change the reading for API tests. There is another brand of test kit out there that does have false readings with prime but i cannot remember the name of it to save my life.

It shouldn't give false readings, as I believe the API and most drop tests, test for both forms of ammonia, both toxic and non-toxic and they will show up anyways. Someone correct me if I am wrong, the only way it would give false positives is if the test only tested for the toxic form, and not the other form. I may be confusing that with the strips though, but I am pretty sure that it wouldn't give a false positive. But I am pretty sure that it wouldn't create an ammonia reading if there was none in there in the first place, or a higher one, because it doesn't add ammonia to the water. Prime remains effective for 24 hours, so you can test again after that to check (:

The API drop test measures total ammonia, and not just the toxic form. So, what this means is that if you have some ammonia in your tank, it will still pick it up, despite having been detoxified. Also, if you have chloramines in your tap, the Prime will cause the chloramines to some up as positive from ammonia.

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Prime.html