Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Just a general question, do any of you keep your goldfish tanks uncovered? I really dont like my cover because it gets soaked from the bubbler and I have to cover the floor every time I take it off, it's just one huge first word problem lol.

I would like to leave it off, but I feel like a spider would get in there or something! Thoughts?

I only keep half a slab of a glass canopy on my tank, just under my light to ensure it doesn't fall in since I don't use the legs ;)

There is certainly a risk of something getting in there, but this isn't really a big deal.... just think about a pond lol. The fish will likely gobble up anything that makes its way in. An open or partially open top is preferable IMHO because it allows for greater gas exchange. The biggest concern is a fish jumping out, but it is pretty rare for a goldfish to do this for no reason.... typically something will be bothering them like water quality, for them to want to attempt a jump, and even then most larger bodied fancies will be hard pressed to actually make it out of the tank, particularly if they are on the larger side.

Personally I see no problem with it :)

I have glass covers on my tank and never have a bubbler problem.... Just position the bubbler so it doesnt go over the lid :)

Maybe a photo of your tank so we can help :thumb:

haha! Fair warning my tank looks pretty rank right now, just added little magneto yesterday and plan on getting some (fake) plants on monday! There are tubes behind the tank that kind of look like they are inside, but I promise they are not :)

My tank right now-

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l548/ohbbyxohbby/IMG_0636_zpse11026d5.jpg

and little magneto just because :)

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l548/ohbbyxohbby/IMG_0634_zps6e1024f5.jpg

what kind of top is it?

I prefer to keep my tank uncovered, for greater gas exchange. That being said, my son kept throwing things into it, so I got a glass top.

Lol!

Love your tank. :heart Your fish is a real cutie.

I prefer to keep my tank uncovered, for greater gas exchange. That being said, my son kept throwing things into it, so I got a glass top.

Lol!

Lol! Hopefully he doesn't throw things on the glass!

My tank only has a single glass strip on top for the light. I had the whole versa top on it but I didnt like it so I cut it in half. Ive had no problems with it so far :)

I use water hyacinth as a top.

Lol!

Lol! Hopefully he doesn't throw things on the glass!

My tank only has a single glass strip on top for the light. I had the whole versa top on it but I didnt like it so I cut it in half. Ive had no problems with it so far :)

I should start a thread, "Things my son threw in the tank". I guarantee, you guys will kill yourselves laughing. Lol! I'm in trouble when he figures out how to open the versa... Right now my only danger is the open slip in the back, which is how I lost a few cell phones, and two wii remotes. :rofl

I keep part of the lid open, and during summer I keep it open as much as possible. I know what you mean about the bubbles though. The tiny splatters on the bottom of the hood/lid can collect a lot, and when you have to remove the hood/lid there is a stream of water coming off the thing.

In addition it happens to me that on the bottom side of the clear part under the light fixture, due to the constant moisture algae will grow which will cause the light to appear dimmer over time.

At the same time though, if there was no cover on the tank at all, I have to position the air stone just right, or otherwise all these tiny splatters from the bursting bubbles will collect on the tank stand or carpet. Not very pleasant either.

I went topless for about 6 months until I upgraded to a new tank. ;)

:o ......... :P .......... :tomuch:

'nuff said!

'nuff said!

Haha yep first thing i thought too!

I have a glass top too, though most of the time I have it folded in half where the hinge is to allow air exchange also. I removed my bubbler as I got tired of the mess it made under the top there and thought perhaps it was overkill as I have (3) 200gph waterfall hob's on that 40g tank, there is so much air I can see going into the tank. So I'm thinking of removing the hinge and just keeping the glass part where the light sits.

'nuff said!

Haha yep first thing i thought too!

It was a fun time here for sure! ;):lol

Btw, I had an acrylic tank, and they have a partial top. That kept the bubbles from splattering water out of the tank. The only issue I had was splashy fish! I was surprised at how far they could splash water.

oh, i have perspex covers on my tanks, then their wooden hoods. yes, the covers do collect water but i put a towel near the wall. i lift the covers so that the water drains back into the tank as much as possible, then just rest them up against the wall sitting on the towel. you don't need the whole floor covered. that's a small tank, there would be no problem to use a paper towel to wipe it dry each time you need remove it.

Don't worry about spiders they're my fishies main staple of protein right now! For some reason I have an active supply of ... bloodworms or something similar growing in the ponds, so all the spiders in the house gravitate to the humidity and food in the basement. The spiders eat the food that flies away and the fish eat the larvae forms of the bugs. If a spider unwittingly falls in, it doesn't live long :lol

I also have the glass covers and have to let them drip into the tank whenever removing them for maintenance ;) also if you can secure your air stone in the center of the tank it should keep the splash down to a minimum ;)