Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
melindapaolino

Cycle is finished! one more question before I get my new fish

Hello!!

I finally finished my fishless cycle! rejoice! Anyway something popped in my mind that I would have never thought of.... PH.... ooh god. So, my city water is a 6.5 ph and I think fancies need 7.5 or so. Is that a huge deal? I have heard around the internet that its better to have a low stable ph, than a high unstable ph (chemicals and what not). I'm not sure how true that is.

so am I ok? or can you recommend any (not plants, I dont have sufficient light sigh) decorations or substrate I can use to higher it?

Thanks!

The main issue with changing the pH is the tanks ability to maintain it without fluctuation. 6.5 is quite low. Goldfish tolerate anywhere between 7.0-8.2 (even higher, however I am not too sure). The main thing is that the pH is stable and does not fluctuate.

Have you also tested the tanks pH? The pH from the tap can change when it is put into the tank.

Edited by Narny105

I am certainly no expert on ph, but I would think that in the long run a STABLE ph would be better for the fish.............but other members can tell you of ph.................... ;)

I just tested the tank and got the same result give some take some. I'm slightly worried, because i'm thinking it will be a pain to maintain an unstable ph.

What is the kH of your tap?

unfortunately I dont have a test kit for kh or gh :( do you think my lfs will have some sort of drops or something?

Edited by melindapaolino

Your LFS should be able to test GH and KH for you (liquid testing if possible) for free :) Just give them a call first to make sure

sigh! this is so stressful lol, just when I thought I was all clear!

I'm going to go to the lfs tomorrow, I will buy a kh and gh tester asap, but it looks as if my ph is closer to 6 or below in both my empty tank and my tap water, im not good at these colors haha.

so what would be the ideal kh and gh for my tank/tap?

can someone explain to me if I could maybe put in some limestone or something to raise it up? or do I have to buy a chemical (liquid or powder?)

I'm sorry for all the questions, I never even had taken ph into account before, and now this is so sad. :)

Don't stress. This is one of those things that have very easy fixes. A pH of 6.5 is a tad low, and so you need to raise it up a bit, and keep it there. The method could be something as simple as adding crushed coral to your tank, to using a buffer (Seachem Neutral Regulator comes to mind.).

Just call your local water utility and ask them what the alkalinity of the water is, and we can go from there. :)