Sign in to follow this  
melindapaolino

Water changes question

7 posts in this topic

Hello! so sorry if I posted in the wrong place, I'm still getting used to everything.

I have a tank on top of a dresser which is just about eye level with me but a little higher. I have to reach up to change the water, so when I put new water in the current is super strong and I imagine that the fish would be thrown into a wall (I dont have a fish yet, I am cycling the tank).

My question is, When I finally get my fish should I take him out for water changes or what? What should I do?

well the obvious question is what size is the tank ?

would you be able to get it off the dresser and on a tank stand so it's lower ?

Welcome and I think would be fine to leave him in the tank if you notice him getting tossed around I would remove him . I leave my Goldie's in while I fill the tank and the don't get thrown around much at all. Just depends on tank size like shark bait said it would make a world of difference if the tank was on a lower stand

Edited by Gcourtney

It's a 15 gallon tank, and unfortunately there is not a better place to put it, I usually stand on a chair when I do anything with it, lol!

I think he would be fine there's enough room for the goldfish to escape the current. I had a ten gallon tropical tank on a dresser for years till I upgraded to thirty gallon Goldie tank.just remember that one fancie needs 20gallons minimum but I believe he would be in the 15 gallon for a year maybe two it all depends on the fishes growth.

Thank you! my mom thinks 15 is plenty, but she doesn't know haha! I am only going to get one goldfish, and I am going to be upgrading in about a year... I need to convince my mom a little more. :)

Thanks for your advice. maybe I'll pour it in really slow and get some sexy arm muscles from all the hauling. :)

if leaving the tank on the dresser, to reduce the current with water changes, you can add new water slowly.......that's best anyways...to fast might affect their bladder ?