Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jetman73

My New Pond

I am really hoping that I don't need a UV but have already been researching them. I will wait until the pond cycles and then make a decision(probably 2 months from now). With my super low stocking levels at the moment I am thinking that the water will clear itself when the pond gets established. What do you think? Am I just kidding myself and putting off the inevitable to a later date?

What brand of Uv do you use? I have been looking at the aqua ultraviolet brand and would probably go with the 80w unit. Thanks again.

Rob, those are some lucky fish. 3 of your 5 look identical to 3 of mine. (Your first two and the whitish one in your QT picture). How many more do you plan on adding? I have 13 at last count ranging in size from 4 to 7 inches. They were all 2 inches when i got them in May.

I would give the pond time to clean itself out. We had a similar problem at the end of June. Ours isn't as big as your though (only 750 gallons) so I"m not sure how long it would take for it to clear up on its own.

Keep us informed of how it goes.

Believe it or not but I only plan on having a total of 10 in there. Maybe 12 if I find two more that I can't resist. That will give me 350-420 gallons per fish and if you listen too the koi gods that is way overstocked. They suggest 1,000 gallons per female and 500 gallons per male. Granted this is for show koi which is something I do not intend on doing but I won't mind having some show quality fish in my pond. I also plan on adding two of my goldies when the water clears so I can keep an eye on them. In my estimation the koi can swim about 1,000 times faster and I don't want anything too happen too them.

Talking about growth rates: The picture of the 2 in the pond were 4" when I got them 3 1/2 months ago and are now 9". And almost all of that growth came when they were in my 20 gallon QT tank.

Have not seen this post in awhile but I thought I would add a pic of my new girl here. She is a 2 year old Ochiba Shigure that is about 15" now and was swimming around in japan last month. The Kohaku in the back has grown from 4" in June to over a foot long now. Hope you like her and living in florida sure helps those growth rates.

post-19-1069274027.jpg

Edited by jetman73

Thank you, and hopefully one of the mods could delete that last picture from me. Sorry folks I did not know it was going too be that big and I think I used up all of my edits.

Guest serpthia

jetman73,

Your pond is absolutely gorgeous. Did I see right ... is it enclosed?

When takeing pictures how close of the Aquarium

should i be because i don't want well when i take

pictures of my fish so it don't get all blurry how close of the Aquarium

about?

Thank you.

Yes it is enclosed in a screen room which is pretty standard here in florida. It is more of a pond, patio, entertaining area.

Nice new girl you got there, Rob! I like the way the netting pattern goes all the way from front to end!

Gosh, I think they have to restrain us to something solid next year in Orlando! :rofl

Thanks Ranchu,

Looking forward too hopefully seeing some board members down here in march. If there is any new info about the show I will post it in the other thread. As of now they just named the hotel but no seminar info. FYI I just picked up 2 more babies today. A showa and a kin matsuba. I promise these are my last purchases before the orlando show. I promise. I promise.

How mutch does it coast for those rocks

you have around your pond?

words do not describe... wow! that's all i can say! wow!

that and beautiful!

*but you don't need us to tell you that!* :D

lovely pond!

:hi

Here is a couple of new pics. I hope they turn out better.

post-19-1070490934.jpg

Wow, your fish are so beautiful! Thats amazing that theyve grown so fast. Has your water cleared up by now? Did you get a UV sterilizer? It looked pretty clear to me. Your pond has inspired me!! Im planning ahead for my pond, which will be way down the line. I definitely want it in an enclosed room like that. Ive lost way too many fish to cats and birds. I deal with customers all the time who lose them to animals like that and I just couldnt take that. Good luck with your new fish and hope you find some nice ones at the show in March. Wish I could go! I had fun at our little koi show we had here, so I could only imagine a big one like that. :) Keep the pics coming, we're enjoying them!

BTW I wish I was in Florida right now! :P

Yes I did have too add a UV too the pond. I used a 80watt aquaultraviolet and plumbed it in myself. After about a week of having the Uv running the pond is CRYSTAL CLEAR.

The screen room around it has been great and gives me piece of mind not having too worry about them. The only problem was a couple of frogs got trapped inside as the pond was being built but my cat took care of them.

I will try and post some better resolution photos since lately my pictures have looked terrible. I have a friend coming over in a couple of weeks with a 6 megapixel camera and hopefully I will be able too get some better shots.

Thanks

Thanks but I think you are referring to my ochiba shigure. I hope too get some better quality pics today since a friend is coming over with a nice camera. If they turn out I will post them either tomorrow or monday.

Guest Shiari

*eyes the fish*

I think the red color behind the head must be what got me. It's got that sort of "3-D" look that the goshiki are supposed to pull.

Whatever it is.... I want to steal it for my very own! Lovely fish.

Thanks Shiari , but you will have too fight me too the death on that one. Out of all of my fish she is the only one that would even have a chance at taking a prize at a show. She was just harvested in japan only a couple of months ago at 2 years old and cost me around the price of my UV. I think I got some great photos of the fishies today and when my friend emails them I will post them so you can see what the fish truly looks like. Did I mention he has a 6.3 megapixel camera. If I have any problems posting them maybe I will try and call KOKO into the rescue. She always comes through.

Thanks again everyone for the kind words but I would like too pass this word of wisdom I got from a breeder. If anyone is interested in top quality koi it is better too buy 1 $500 fish than 10 $50 fish. I am learning that the hard way and since I only have room for 2 more my selective eye will be brought up a notch.

Guest Shiari

Good luck with those last 2! I can't wait to see what you pick.

And you'll have to post more pictures of that awesome Ochiba. Can't wait for the 6.3 megapix to come through. *drool*

Here they are.