Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jetman73

My New Pond

I told everyone I would start a thread when my pond was done. It is not done yet but should be within the next week. It is approximately 16' x 10' with an average depth of 4'. It metered out at right about 4,250 gallons. I will post more pics when it is done and when the landscaping is done also.

Off topic note for all you goldie lovers:

I visited a pond in my neighborhood that was done by my contracter 3 years ago and it probably had about $25,000-$50,000 dollars worth of koi in it. ( this guy takes a trip to japan every year too hand pick out a few). The reason why I mentioned this is because after I looked past the koi I saw the HUGEST ryukin ever. Whenever I give a measurement of my fish it is always accurate since I mark my tank but if I had too estimate this ryukin I would say an 8-9" body the size of a softball with a caudal well over 6". This is the only goldie in his pond swimming around with $5,000 fish and he said he got it from the LFS. It also gave me an idea, and my fan and ryukin will be going in my pond so I can get that ranchu or lionhead I so dearly want.

Hey the pic worked. If only I can rememember how to do that again.

In the background you can see where the waterfall will be done and up close you can see the skimmer which will be hidden completely by rock.

The pond is actually laying on the patio in the front and some pics I post later will show it off a lot better. Right now it is still a disaster area. I hope everyone likes it but it sure is a work in progress.

You got a great looking pond there, Rob! And lots of sweat went into that one!

It must look gorgeous when its all done, with waterfall and plants!! If that would be mine, I had a hard time stopping myself... :lol1

That will look very nice once you start getting your landscaping done. You must be so exciteed! I'm redoing my pond next year!!! I can't wait. :happydance

Ash

:druel I want a bigger pond! I just made it a little bigger this summer but I want it BIG!!! :druel

Here it is completely done by the builders.

post-19-1062529570.jpg

Thanks everyone for the kind words. This has been a project over 3 months in the making. In two more weeks all the landscaping and gravel work will be done and I'll post some more pics then. If anyone has any questions fire away.

Debi,

I saw the pics of your pond and it looks great. That sure is a lot of rock work you have there and the plants really make it. Believe it or not but I am not putting any plants in mine, it will be strictly koi and algae.

If you don't mind me asking what part of the country are you in?

I'm in central NY. :D We have an old farmhouse rock foundation on the back of our property which we got all the rocks from. We built it all ourselves. We finally have it where we want it and have a great eco system set up between the fish, snails, frogs, crawfish and plants. Why no plants in your pond? The Koi love them.

In 2001 the fish all survived in the pond for the winter. Last year we couldn't keep a hole open (even with a heater) so all my Comets, Koi and snails died. I now have 36 fish (Comets, Koi, Shubunkins, Orandas and some other GF) and they are all coming into my basement for the winter. I have 100 gallon rubbermaid feeding troughs, grow lights, and timers to keep the lights in sync with the sunrise and sunset. Plus I get to enjoy them all winter.

Sounds like you got a pretty good winter plan going on there. I am originally from NY and know the winters can be rough but now I am in florida and am wondering if my temp will ever go below 50 degrees.

The reason you mentioned is the reason there will be no plants in the pond. The koi love them. I would rather chunk in a head of lettuce. It is also 4' deep with sides that go straight down and the chance of them knocking over a whole plant container kind of frightens me.

Actually, my Koi don't bother most of my potted plants they only bother with the lillies (which I moved to the other side of the pond) , but they love my Water Hyacinth's. My Oranda's eat all the leaves on my lillies. Koi are mudders so I put gravel in many of my potted plants and they seem to leave them alone. You could put something in it like an Umbrella plant which gets huge and there would be no way for them to tip it over. I actually seem to tip more things over than the fish do.

Good luck. Debi

Debi,

I noticed your lilies had big bite marks :rofl

:druel Yes, my Oranda can't seem to get enough of the lillies. They eat those leaves as fast as they grow. I'll have to give them peas this winter since the lillies will winter outside.

Debi

Jetman, your pond looks great! 4500 gallons!?!? I cant even imagine! You'll have such a great time stocking it. Is the pond actually indoors? It looks almost like a sunroom or something. Thats such a good idea?they can still get the natural sunlight but no predators can get in! Thats exactly like what I want to do someday when I build my pond. Is it glass, or plastic, and did the pond builders make it, or someone else? Also what kind of filtration do you have going on there? BTW that ryukin you mentioned sounded just amazing. I think I would like to have lots of fancy goldfish in my pond someday. I can just imagine standing there and looking down at them all swimming around? first have to get a good job, then money, then a house! LOL

Thank you Jenny for the nice comments. What you are referring too is something us floridians call a birdcage. It is basically just a large screen room and I have never seen a pool around here without one. I have actually dealt with numerous contracters for all the jobs. Footer, birdcage, paver patio, electrician, and pond builders are the five different contracters I have dealt with not including the owner of the pond store who designed it. That also don't include all of the hours I have worked on it trying too save any money I could.

The pond is filtered with an aquadyne bead filter that takes in the water through a savio skimmerfilter and a bottom drain. The water is returned through the waterfall and a couple of underwater jets(thanks Kevkoi) forcing the ###### too the drain.

And good luck on the new job, money, house project.

Here it is finished. I would like too thank everyone for the nice comments and sorry about being away from the board for awhile.

post-19-1064511717.jpg

:panana Rob, its beautiful!!! I am so-oo jealous. At least you get to enjoy yours year round. I have slowly started bring all my fish into the basement. Have you added fish yet?

This is the first two that were put in. A kohaku and a shiro bekko. This is also when the water was gin clear. You can see the bottom drain and that is 4.5' down. I really would rather not say what the water looks like now but you can add it up. Tons of florida sun + an unestablished biofilter + a constant temp of 80 degrees = Pea soup green water. Just waiting for mother nature too run her course.

post-19-1064519923.jpg

Here is the new koi in my QT tank. A sanke, longfin ginrin ogon, and a koromo/ goshiki. I still can't tell about the last one. They are only around 5" here and should be in the pond by next friday.

post-19-1064520096.jpg

:druel:druel:druel

Who needs words.....

Lucky little fishies!

Edited by Lachfa

Guest DivineGf

Gorgeous, Rob !!!!!!!!

I feel a lot braver now to take on a "real pond' now that I had such a great experience building a patio pond.

Next Spring, mabe. We'll see. You have provided more than enough inspiration to get me through the winter. Let's see . . Mardi Gras is in early March next year, I guess technically that might be considered Springtime in Louisiana.

What a gorgeous pond, Rob! Great job!! I cant imagine anything more relaxing than sitting outside with a cup of coffee, a good book, looking at some beautiful koi and listening to the soothing sound of a waterfall.....

If nothing else helps, get a UV sterilizer. I had to, and it took care of the algae in a few days....

From one Floridian to another... :)