Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
redgold54

fish sifting through substrate....

how normal is it for fish to spend ridiculous amounts of time sifting through the substrate (grave, sand, etc.)?

That's very normal! It's their natural behavior. :) Make sure the gravel isn't a good size to get stuck in their mouths though.

That's very normal! It's their natural behavior. :) Make sure the gravel isn't a good size to get stuck in their mouths though.

Yes! Always have something on the tank floor for them to push around/sift through, whether you have a barebottom tank or one with substrate :)

how normal is it for fish to spend ridiculous amounts of time sifting through the substrate (grave, sand, etc.)?

thank you. i bought some white sand from petco. so i just wanted to make sure that once i added the fish it would be ok.

Oh they will be very happy with sand!

I have white sand in my tank too, i think if i took it out they would cry... haha their number one favorite thing to do. peck peck peck alllll dayyyy looooong. :)

Substrate is really great because while it can be a pain it's basically an endless source of mental stimulation that allows goldfish to engage in a natural behavior that their wild carp counterparts also exhibit. Carps' natural habitat is often streams, rivers, lakes, with sandy bottoms and they spend much of their day sifting through the substrate for food because everyone knows goldfish just want to eat eat eat! You'll find with sand that they sift it so much it stays pretty clean, I don't have to even spot clean mine, they kick up any poo while foraging and it gets filtered out mechanically by the filters.

I have sand in mine and they like to sift through it a lot and my snail as helps with the waste

i have some plastic bioballs in there.. oh man, my fish were born soccer champions! :rofl really.. they were! :tomuch:

I love having sand in the tank because I see how much the fish sift through it. I would feel too bad to ever take that away from them.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

I love having sand in the tank because I see how much the fish sift through it. I would feel too bad to ever take that away from them.

This! I was always for barebottom but I don't think I could ever remove the sand seeing how much they love it.

Aw this makes me feel bad that I went bare bottom! Now I just have medium rocks. I used to have flat marbles and they seem to like poking through those, but now there isn't anything....

I agree, mine love sifting through sand. I will have to get some PFS some time soon to add it to the currently sandless tanks :)

Aw this makes me feel bad that I went bare bottom! Now I just have medium rocks. I used to have flat marbles and they seem to like poking through those, but now there isn't anything....

you can add a small handful of gravel or other smaller stones that allow for sifting but don't require full coverage of the bottom. Honestly, when I switched from barebottom to TMS I did not notice any difference in the behavior of my fish. They dig around in the plants and play with the stones in my bare bottom tank, just as much as they sifted through the sand when I had TMS... but maybe I just have weird fish :P It's really all a matter of preference, if you have things in the tank, and other fish, there is stimulation. My fish never look bored.

Same as Tithra, I don't really notice that my fish ever look bored, and I don't have any substrate.

They were pretty excited checking everything out for the first day after I added the Halloween decorations though! lol I think they had fun checking out the new stuff. :)

you can add a small handful of gravel or other smaller stones that allow for sifting but don't require full coverage of the bottom. Honestly, when I switched from barebottom to TMS I did not notice any difference in the behavior of my fish. They dig around in the plants and play with the stones in my bare bottom tank, just as much as they sifted through the sand when I had TMS... but maybe I just have weird fish :P It's really all a matter of preference, if you have things in the tank, and other fish, there is stimulation. My fish never look bored.

I've thought about adding some gravel (just a little), that would give them something to dig through. They don't seem bored as far as I can tell but that might give them something else to do and still let me have a clean tank. I started a thread on sand just to get an idea on whats involved too.