Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
melindapaolino

Fish-less cycling questions!

Hello again everyone!

I started cycling my tank yesterday using the fishless cycle and after running into a problem (WAY too much ammonia!) I did a few water changes and got it down to 4ppm. Today I went out to my lfs to ask for some old filter media to use to speed up my cycle and the lady GAVE ME A WHOLE FILTER. I'm not sure which kind it is because I have never seen one before. It's like a canister but inside the tank and it attaches to a bubbler. I put it in there and about an hour later the ammonia went all the way from 4-5ppm to .50-1 ppm! wow! I was just wondering how I know the cycle is finished and when to return the filter to the lfs? (I know its when the ammonia reads 0, and the nitrites read 0 and the nitrates real >10, but I have no idea how I should test that while I have this filter in the water.) should I take it out after a week and test the water? should I add more ammonia? I read the article on fishless cycling but it doesn't really pertain to my situation! Please help! I have a hob filter with a sponge, filterfloss and those ceramic things in a bag. Thank you!

You are done when:

1. After adding ammonia, all of it gets processed after 24 hours. You should have zero ammonia, zero nitrites, and no nitrates.

2. Once this is the case, leaving things running for two weeks (with fish or continue to add ammonia).

3. Done :)

do you think a week is long enough to establish some bb on my own filter? I want to return the filter to my lfs after a week, because I can imagine the inconvenience!

I don't know. May be, but that's cutting it really close.

Ok! I'm hoping it will be okay. While I do have it should I continue to add ammonia or just let it run?

You should check your parameters daily, and maintain ammonia at 1-2 ppm. This is crucial especially because you are trying to populate your own filters.

I really do not think 1 week will be enough.

How long do you think I should keep it for? I will speak to my lfs.

Thanks for all of your help, I feed bad for asking so many questions!

See my post up above :)

Basically, you will need to ascertain that there is an established cycle, then leave all the filters in place for about two weeks.

Oh ok I got it! I have to make sure the ammonia is processed withen 24 hours and then have both filters, the canister(?), and the hob running for 2 weeks. thanks!

Oh ok I got it! I have to make sure the ammonia is processed withen 24 hours and then have both filters, the canister(?), and the hob running for 2 weeks. thanks!

You have you make sure ammonia (and subsequently nitrite) is processes within 24 fours, yes.