Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Narny105

Oops, I have babies!

13 posts in this topic

So around early september I purchased two apple snails, one of which had fertile eggs. Next thing I know I was overrun with tiny,clear specks.

I have now since removed around 80 and housed them in my sterile 40L (10 gallon) QT tank with an aquaclear 70 and a heater. I want to log their growth and so far they are growing on a daily basis. They all did slip into a little ammonia sickness for around 3 weeks so they did not grow at all during that period, and have really only started to grow over the last week. You can actually tell a difference every day on their growth which is exciting, so I decided to take some pics and log it!

They have been in their tank since Sept 14- I only wrote september on the note for some reason... They are getting fed daily with a varied diet of repashy soilent green, algae wafers, home made gel food, and cuttle fish for calcium. The tank temp is at 80F

Can't wait to make some money off of them :rofl I'll actually probably end up giving a lot of them away since the pet shop will only buy 10 once they get about double the size of a green pea. So that should be a few weeks.

These are my first clutch. I currently have another clutch but they haven't hatched yet. Jamiemonster has been super kind and helping me out with caring for them!

IMG_3555.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg

IMG_3558.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

Edited by Narny105

Awww how cute!! I remember when I found 3 clutches in my tank D: D: D: D: I destroyed most of them.

The problem is that it's hard to find homes for them. Even if you take them to the LFS, customers usually buy large, fully grown snails and not small ones. The small ones usually end up dying at the LFS because these places do not really care for snails properly. Like the water is too soft, eating away at the shells, and they are not fed properly either. Being in a tank with fish, without plants to nibble on or vegetables fed, these guys don't last too long. That's why I got rid of all the unhatched eggs except for one small piece that contained about 20 snails. I got to give some away to friends, a few to the LFS, and kept a few myself.

Still, looking forward to the updates on the growth of these guys! :D

They are so cute! I wish I could get one from you.

aww congrats :) good luck placing them when they are big enough :)

How cute!! My apple snails have never laid eggs that i know of lol. Can't wait to see updates :)

Awww Cute !!!! Congrats on the many babies :) .......Your title made me giggle :lol

The babies are looking good! Great job! :D

You are very welcome, as well... feel free to ask anything you need to! Always glad to help. :hug

thats awesome! if you weren't in Australia I would totally buy a couple :)

I wish I could buys cant wait for updates

That's awesome #2.

:Congrats: grandpa! :rofl

Very cool! must be fun to watch them grow, especially now that they are growing so fast. Looking forward to updates. :)

Those things are just too cute! Can I have one? :rofl

Very cool! Here, you basically cannot buy snails from the fish stores (very rarely) so there is this weird underground culture of snail sales. The aquarium message boards are filled with people agreeing to meet at cafes and and in parks to buy snails :)

Your snails are cute. Post more pictures so we can see their development.