tithra

Weight and size of your fish?

197 posts in this topic

Just finished the video on how much my fish have grown over the last 3 months (july to september).

Biggest weight gain was 28 gr. from 11 to 39 gr.

Least was 7 gr. from 11 to 18 gr.

Biggest fish was split between my two big males (Black Moor and Oranda/Fantail) at 72 gr.

No idea about the lenght and growth here.

You can find all my videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC12wEPYFv55IDksHHf0aS_g

Great idea tithra! I will try to remember to weigh my fish tomorrow when I'm doing one of the many water changes I'll be doing over the next few weeks as suggested by you for my kinda sick but doing much better fish!

I've always wondered how much they weigh and this is the perfect reason to do it! :)

Hi dear fantailfan(I remember your name is Liza,is that right?) can you please tell me when Americans say every 2 gallons for one inch of fish, is that including the tail? Thanks a lot!

Great idea tithra! I will try to remember to weigh my fish tomorrow when I'm doing one of the many water changes I'll be doing over the next few weeks as suggested by you for my kinda sick but doing much better fish!

I've always wondered how much they weigh and this is the perfect reason to do it! :)

Hi dear fantailfan(I remember your name is Liza,is that right?) can you please tell me when Americans say every 2 gallons for one inch of fish, is that including the tail? Thanks a lot!

I would not follow that guideline, tail or no tale.

not follow every 2 gal water for 1 inch of fish?

No. It is not a sound guideline. Length does not account for depth or waste production.

If you were dealing with very slender fish that never got longer than one inch, that might be appropriate.  But a one inch common goldfish is several times the mass (and thus waste production) of that slender fish, and a one inch fancy goldfish is 2-3 times the mass of a one inch common.  Furthermore, a one inch goldfish is a baby, who with decent care will be several times larger in a year, and will continue to grow after that first year.

This is why we recommend 20 gallons of water per goldfish, with 15 gallons per fish as a minimum. 

If you were dealing with very slender fish that never got longer than one inch, that might be appropriate. But a one inch common goldfish is several times the mass (and thus waste production) of that slender fish, and a one inch fancy goldfish is 2-3 times the mass of a one inch common. Furthermore, a one inch goldfish is a baby, who with decent care will be several times larger in a year, and will continue to grow after that first year.

This is why we recommend 20 gallons of water per goldfish, with 15 gallons per fish as a minimum.

thank you so much for explain so clear, shakaho. That has been always something I can not agree with, but wherever I went(pet stores), people always told me like that. I was confused. Now I see :-)

No. It is not a sound guideline. Length does not account for depth or waste production.

Yes. Now I understand more clearly. Thanks a lot.

I don't trust most of what I hear at a pet store, especially in regards to fish.  :o

All of my ryukins are 15 grams and are 2.5" from nose to beginning of tail. My one oranda 26 YO Ursula is 1.6 LBS. I have two single tails (since the raccoon ate the third) and I haven't weighed them yet. There just too darn fast. Hope this helps.

Glenn

Here's some more data for you.

Chub          shubunkin          3"            19g

Shrub         shubunkin          2.5"         10g

Hampton    willow                  2.75"       21g

Panda        oranda               5.5"         205g

Maxfli         pearlscale          4"             230g

?                ryukin                 4.5"         197g

?                oranda               3.5"         148g

Smudge     fantail                 2"            26g

Norman     moor                   3"            58g

Punkin       pearlscale           2.75"      75g

Hubble       telescope           2"            9g

Opie          moor                   2.5"         30g

Update on a few of these guys. The ryukin with no name I named Telstar. He's now about 6" in length and weighs 268g. Maxfli the pearlscale is still my heaviest fish. He's at 315g now. And Hubble who weighed 9g a little over a year ago weighed 148g this morning!

Please tell us if this is standard or total length.

Sprinkles ---Fantail--39g---3" body

Chocolate--Oranda-39g---3" body

Sorry to necro - I know Tithra talked a lot about the spreadsheet they were compiling based on this thread but... I could not find it anywhere. So, instead of doing a more thorough search or sending a PM, I just went ahead and compiled my own version out of curiosity:

Goldfish Lengths and Weights Spreadsheet

Give it a second to load, then click the dropdown on the upper left and select a breed/type. Even with the limited data, the results are pretty interesting. Feel free to add your own measurements to the 'All Data' sheet, and please let me know if you see any obviously bungled equations (it's late and I have a cold; my math skills are not their greatest right now).

(Note: I excluded some people's data because the breed/length/weight were unclear or not included. Also, Lionheads and Lionchus were labeled 'Ranchu' because the breeds are so similar + there wasn't enough data between the three breeds to warrant separate categories.)

(Also, please let me know if Tithra did indeed publish their spreadsheet so I can feel silly + see their more in-depth breakdowns.)

Wow that's a great spreadsheet!

You did a wonderful job, but with some flawed data.  Unfortunately, most people used the total length (including tail) rather than the standard length (without tail) and often didn't specify which they used.     

You can combine comets and shubunkin (unless they specify London Shubunkin) since these differ only in color.  London shubunkin and common goldfish (hibuna) likewise differ only in color.

You can also look at these threads:

https://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/123304-a-poll-for-single-tail-owners/#comment-1952328

https://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/125234-dieselplowers-fish-weight-length-picture/#comment-1999412

I thought we had a newer thread than Tithra's on this topic, but can't find it.  I'm sure she never posted her spreadsheet here.

Edited by shakaho

1 hour ago, shakaho said:

You did a wonderful job, but with some flawed data.  Unfortunately, most people used the total length (including tail) rather than the standard length (without tail) and often didn't specify which they used.     

You can combine comets and shubunkin (unless they specify London Shubunkin) since these differ only in color.  London shubunkin and common goldfish (hibuna) likewise differ only in color.

You can also look at these threads:

https://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/123304-a-poll-for-single-tail-owners/#comment-1952328

https://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/125234-dieselplowers-fish-weight-length-picture/#comment-1999412

I thought we had a newer thread than Tithra's on this topic, but can't find it.  I'm sure she never posted her spreadsheet here.

You're right about the unclear lengths. I went back and separated out the data based on people who actually said they measured the body (or whose measurements I could confirm) vs. those who were unclear. Now the spreadsheet has an option to sort the data based on accuracy. Surprisingly, the overall 'Fancy' and 'Single Tail' charts aren't that different even with the accuracy sorting, though the individual breeds certainly are.

Thanks for the other threads and the suggestions for combining breeds! I added a few more entries and combined a few breeds together.

7 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Wow that's a great spreadsheet!

Thanks so much!

Are you a scientist?  What spreadsheet did you use?  

If you have total lengths for commons (AKA hibuna) and London shubunkin, you can convert these to sl since the tails are uniformly around 25% of the total length.  You won't get much data on the long-bodied fish since most people here keep fancies.  Those that do keep commons and comets rarely weigh and measure them because of the difficulty in catching these fish.

7 minutes ago, shakaho said:

Are you a scientist?  What spreadsheet did you use?  

If you have total lengths for commons (AKA hibuna) and London shubunkin, you can convert these to sl since the tails are uniformly around 25% of the total length.  You won't get much data on the long-bodied fish since most people here keep fancies.  Those that do keep commons and comets rarely weigh and measure them because of the difficulty in catching these fish.

I am just a lowly computer programmer who likes goldfish & asserting conclusions based on small/dubious sample sizes :')

That's good info to know for the commons. I've been poking around aquaponics papers to try and glean their size data on common goldfish and knowing the 25% guideline will help a lot in calculating body length. I feel like I'm just not looking in the right places... big-name goldfish breeders take their craft so seriously that I'd expect there to be absolutely exhaustive data on length/mass.

Here's a paper with data on feral goldfish.  Do you plan to do aquaponics?

Citrine pictured here is a thai style oranda. He currently weighs 82 grams. He was 60 grams when I got him in October. He's like 3 1/2" standard length because he's actually quite compact/stubby despite his weight. 

GEDC0139_zpsjieierc4.jpg.faf1195dba7bf0f1e6d5cbdaf7a34226.jpg

5 hours ago, mjfromga said:

Citrine pictured here is a thai style oranda. He currently weighs 82 grams. He was 60 grams when I got him in October. He's like 3 1/2" standard length because he's actually quite compact/stubby despite his weight. 

GEDC0139_zpsjieierc4.jpg.faf1195dba7bf0f1e6d5cbdaf7a34226.jpg

Very nice hun... he's a Chunk :teehee