tithra

Weight and size of your fish?

197 posts in this topic

So, this is kind of a weird request, but I was wondering if those of you with scales would be willing to post both the weight and length of your fish (length without tail, mouth to peduncle).

I am not sure if this is a silly idea (feel free to tell me if you think it is :P), but I am interested in compiling a general list of respective weights and lengths in order to help with feeding amount suggestions for those members who do not have access to a scale and are interested in knowing how much they should feed. We could at least provide a general range based on the length of their goldfish (guessing it is within the typical weight range)

I hope this makes sense ;) I am personally really curious how much little fish typically weigh, not having had any really little guys myself to weigh. So, if anyone is interested please post below :D (if you wanted to add a pic of the fish as well that might also help with size comparisons)

Oooooh I will get a scale when I go to the city this weekend. I have been meaning to for a while now but I never seem to remember. Going to write it on my shopping list now :)

This is the sort of geeky thing I would do :) I think it's a great idea.

Googles is just slightly over 2 inches and weighs a cute 23g

Great idea! I think people should list the type of goldfish if they know it. I suspect that my ryukin will weigh a lot more than my ranchu, even though they might be the same length. The ryukin is almost as tall as he is long.

Great idea! I think people should list the type of goldfish if they know it. I suspect that my ryukin will weigh a lot more than my ranchu, even though they might be the same length. The ryukin is almost as tall as he is long.

yes, that is the issue with length is that fish, especially fancies grow a lot width wise as opposed to lengthwise. Like Edie is pretty much the same length as she was 6 mos ago, but has gained like 25 grams. That's why pics might be helpful, and even type is definitely a good idea too. I figure we can at least compile a general range for each length :)

Also, don't do total length, but only to the peduncle, please.

This is a very good idea :)

Cool idea :)

I'll bet there will be a big difference between varieties (ranchu/lion head vs others).

Also, if anyone's looking for a method to weigh their fish, this is what we had students do when I worked in the lab.

1.Place your fish in a small container and weigh it (fish+water+container)

2.Being careful not to spill too much water, gently scoop your fish out (with your hand) and then reweigh (container + water)

So weight 1 minus weight 2 gives you the weight of your goldfish :)

2.Being careful not to spill too much water, gently scoop your fish out (with your hand) and then reweigh (container + water)

Yes, this is what we do as well. Jess, Helen, and Jennie all have videos showing people how to do this, I believe :rofl

I have never weighed my fish, but I want to. This will give me the motivation to do it. :)

Mr Bigglesworth and Momo are both 40 grams, and Bubbles is 45 grams :)

I haven't measured them yet but I'll do it soon :D

Hum I could do Myng But Charlie is alittle to big for my scale :yikes

Otis is about 2.5-3 inches, and last I weighed him he was 48 grams :) I'm sure he has fattened up so I will post back with a more recent size

Are you going to take the photo with you holding your fish in your hand? This will give all of us a better idea the size of your fish. (just my thought) I can't wait to see all of your pics.

Great idea tithra! I will try to remember to weigh my fish tomorrow when I'm doing one of the many water changes I'll be doing over the next few weeks as suggested by you for my kinda sick but doing much better fish!

I've always wondered how much they weigh and this is the perfect reason to do it! :)

My tele is a MASSIVE 4grams and 1" body and 1 1/2"total ( I know this is one freakin huge fish) :rofl I actually just started my weight and length log for my guys in the 55gallon :) I just need to post the my results lol. ;)

Oranda 35grams 2 1/2" body and 4" total

Ryukin 29grams 2" body and 4" total

this is great guys! Thanks so much, keep them coming! I am going to organize them into a spreadsheet by size/type and will write something up for the forum :)

Are you going to take the photo with you holding your fish in your hand? This will give all of us a better idea the size of your fish. (just my thought) I can't wait to see all of your pics.

this would certainly be great :)

I find the easiest method for weighing is to put the container w/ water on the scale,then 0 it out,then add the little fishy.

Yes, this is what we do as well. Jess, Helen, and Jennie all have videos showing people how to do this, I believe :rofl

You should post a link to one of them :)

I cannot give you the current data, so I'd add about 10% to both. My scale batteries died and I keep forgetting to get new ones.

So here, based on the rough data from the last time I did this, from some that I remember

Hugo, Shubunkin, close 5 years old, almost 10" total length (half body, half tail), 70 grams

Spicey, long bodied oranda, 4 years old, about 7.5" total length (half body, half tail), 65 grams

Wakka, short bodied (round) oranda, 2 years old, about 5.5" total length (half body, half tail), 45 grams

I cannot give you the current data, so I'd add about 10% to both. My scale batteries died and I keep forgetting to get new ones.

So here, based on the rough data from the last time I did this, from some that I remember

Hugo, Shubunkin, close 5 years old, almost 10" total length (half body, half tail), 70 grams

Spicey, long bodied oranda, 4 years old, about 7.5" total length (half body, half tail), 65 grams

Wakka, short bodied (round) oranda, 2 years old, about 5.5" total length (half body, half tail), 45 grams

thanks Fang!

I had no idea spicey was an oranda! How did I miss that this whole time!?

Clover November 2011:

27 grams

~1.5" body length (without tail)

Clover September 2012:

~100 grams

~3.5" body length (without tail)

cloverthandblackCR.jpg

Callisto:

~110 grams

~4" body length (without tail)

n003WM.jpg

I did it properly :D Meaning I covered a table with water... So many splashes :/ They are a lot lighter than I first thought they were, since they all pretty much nearly look the same so around 40 grams.

Ok So for weight and length

Mr Bigglesworth 36 grams 4.2 inches

Momo (he has lost 1 gram!) 34 grams 5 inches

Bubbles 46 grams 5.5 inches

Edited by Narny105

I had no idea spicey was an oranda! How did I miss that this whole time!?

It's because she is long bodied and has no wen :lol

But when you look at her pics, her head is very oranda with the wide set eyes etc http://i1150.photobu...zps0df9e161.jpg

You can even tell a hint of wen, with tiny wen "bubbles" all over her forehead and cheeks :D

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang