Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
redgold54

what to look for in new fish at pet stores...

Ok. So I want to be very careful when I go and get my fish. I don't want to bring any disease into the new tank. What should I look for when getting new fish? Are local pet stores better than the big chains?

I personally don't judge the store but their supplier my LFS has a horrible oranda supplier and bubble eye supplies but amazing pearlscales and moors :) My Petsmart actually has pretty good fish at times but has run into sick shippments before but were adressed instantly. Reall it is hard to say what could be better since every store is different. When looking for a fish watch its behavior and overall apperence and health if it looks healthy and strong after watching it for a good long time it will come home with me. :)

Watch the fish you are interested in for awhile, and look for yawning and flashing. I would look the fish over completely, make sure there are no visible external parasites, slime coat issues, sores, or redness in the fins. I would also check the eyes to make sure they are clear and the mouth to make sure it is formed properly. Watch it swim, and make sure it is a strong swimmer and watch for any swim bladder issues that can look like uncoordination or tilting. Most of these things can be dealt with in quarantine, but it's good to know what you're up against and it's also good to start out with as healthy of a fish as possible. :)

I also will ask them to feed them a little bit a food. This makes sure they are active.... Also if there is a dead fish in the tank, dont get any fish in there. :(

Nice clear eyes, no spots or marks, responds to maybe your hand going across the tank wall... :)

I also will ask them to feed them a little bit a food. This makes sure they are active....

This is a fantastic idea, Koko. I never even thought about that. This will also tell you if the fish has any mouth/gill irritations. :)

Yep, I do the same stuff as posted. I watch them for ahile. Looking for any signs of illness or injury. Looking for "perky" fins & good swimming motion. (I like the idea of asking them to drop in a little food!!)

Well then hit the like button :P

Okay Koko...I gotta get used to this new GIZMO!!! :peeka

Okay Koko...I gotta get used to this new GIZMO!!! :peeka

:hug