Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
redgold54

Heating concern..

I expect some temperature fluctuations in the coming months (because of the way my parents heat the house). My aquarium is located in the basement. For a tank that's 110 gallons, what type (size?) of heater should I get?

I saw the following two on amazon

ViaAqua 300watt heater

Fluval 300 watt heater (110 gallon version)

any tips, comments, ideas?

thanks in advance!

How many filters do you have? Since your tank is so large I would put two heaters on each side of the tank under the filter outflows. This will make sure the heated water gets circulated to keep any weird hot/cold spots from developing. I use an Aqueon Pro Fully Submersible heater and love it! But I only use mine if my water gets below 70 degrees, which I think is a little too cold for my fancies.

This is the heater I use, I bought mine on Amazon. :)

http://www.amazon.co...s=aqueon+heater

Edited by Ms.Jenny

80 gal.-300 watt that is what that filter does.... Now if its for an 110 gallon tank I would have two of them. One on each side, this will keep them from working so hard :)

How many filters do you have? Since your tank is so large I would put two heaters on each side of the tank under the filter outflows. This will make sure the heated water gets circulated to keep any weird hot/cold spots from developing. I use an Aqueon Pro Fully Submersible heater and love it! But I only use mine if my water gets below 70 degrees, which I think is a little too cold for my fancies.

This is the heater I use, I bought mine on Amazon. :)

http://www.amazon.co...s=aqueon+heater

I only have one filter right now. Will get another one soon (after I cycle the tank/I'm on a budget).

So how many watts per heater should I get?

Yes! I second this. Two smaller heaters is better than one large heater because you can get more even heating and if one stops working you still have one maintaining some level of heat and if one malfunctions (hopefully this never happens) there is less chance of it cooking your fish.

I also love the aqueon pro heaters. After trying a few different ones they are by far my favorite, several of us here use them :)

I purchased the 100 watt for my 30 gallon tank, I think it might depend on the brand you choose. Aqueon has a little chart you can use (at least for their heater) online here: http://www.aqueonproducts.com/assets/011/19784.pdf

80 gal.-300 watt that is what that filter does.... Now if its for an 110 gallon tank I would have two of them. One on each side, this will keep them from working so hard :)

Ok. I understand.

Thank you!