Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wango

Filter sound

Hi there, for less than a year I have had this second hand filter, real old, and every now and again it would decide to make a really terrible sound, like a powerbike going at 100mph! i had to slam it off everytime...so i finally bought a new one.

I got an interpet power filter the largest one available...I knew its a good filter cos i have lways used a smaller one with no problems.

So i put the filter in, and 1 week later it has started doing the same noise as the old filter!!!!!!!!! :argue:

So i opened it up, and i noticed there was lots of sand inside, but only at the bottom of the two sponges and no where near the top componenets, so i cleaned that out, removed the sand from the bottom area of the tank where i keep the filter so it wouldnt clog up again, and it still made the hideous noise this morning....i tipped it sideways and upside down in the tank then itcalmed down and went back to normal, if it happens again what should i do to fix it!?

thanks

What kind of sand is in your tank? I've had issues only with the metallic black sand. I find white sand in my filters often with no issues.

Did you clean the motor/impeller well? There will be sand in there if you had sand in your sponge area. It will make a grinding sound.

I have a link in my signature to fix that problem with AC filters, it should work with any kind of filter intake.... Also make sure you lube your peller at least once a month :thumb:

thanks guys, the filter is brand new so it shouldnt make any noise at all, so it must be the sand, I have removed sand from this area of the tank and put pebbles.

Now I will clean the impeller again and see if it stops, if not I am gonna smash it!